In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Market Basket

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by gbreda, Jul 31, 2014.

  1. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Anyone here think the Market Basket drama sounds awfully familiar?
     
  2. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    For those that arent from around here, Market Basket is a hugely successful and growing New England supermarket chain that had great prices and great customer service. This is attributed to Arthur T Demoulas who has been CEO until he was fired by the board that was led by his cousin. The issue at odds is that Artie T ran the company by giving back and his cousin, (Arthur S Demoulas) wants to stop that-raise pricing and less money back into the company.

    Since his firing, the employees have been boycotting and picketing. The customers have stopped shopping in support. The latest is an ultimatum telling the employees to get back to work or be replaced. The employees are passionate about this and willing to back their former leader who took the time to actually know each employee he encountered on a personal level.
     
  3. nate

    nate Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    2,027
    Likes Received:
    2,291
    Location:
    Palmer, AK
    News to me. I don't really follow the news.. I've got enough to worry about as us, so its better I don't know about more troubles.
     
  4. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I'm familiar with the story as its local... but what's your comparison?
     
  5. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Meh, reminds me of some older days for some of us here, better left put to bed.

    But this situation really stinks as Market Basket was my #1 grocery store-they didn't play games with prices and the customer service is top notch from all employees you come in contact with.
     
  6. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass

    Ahhh I see. I was mostly a lurker over there, but that's how this place came about so not all bad things right?

    I only shopped there once, and I wasn't a fan but I shop at Price Rite where prices are much lower... but you really can't buy everything there and I stay away from the meats. So our grocery shopping is 2 and often 3 locations depending on what we need.