In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone use grill spray on their smoker? What kind?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by don2222, Mar 30, 2021.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Sprays like Pam Grilling or Crisco Grill Master?

Pam Ingredients:
    CANOLA OIL*, COTTONSEED OIL*, PHOSPHATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, WATER

Crisco Ingredients:
    Soybean oil, Soy Lecithin, Dimethly, Silicone (Anti-Foaming) Propellant, a trivial amount of fat

Best Nonstick Sprays for Grills: Top 7 Barbecuing Sprays (2021) | Grill Ace

I looked around a bit and picked up this Weber spray. They say it does not smoke up a lot like canola oil sprays.
    They say that oils that can be used include:
    Canola oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil, sun flower oil, or Avocado oil.

The Weber grill spray developed for BBQ grills contains:
    WATER, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, NATURAL HICKORY FLAVOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE ADDED AS A PRESERVATIVE, PROPELLANT

There is an All Natural Grill spray but the ingredients are not listed?
    Grilling Spray | Best of the West BBQ Products (twotreesproducts.com)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. JackHammer

JackHammer

I don't have a smoker but I almost exclusively cook with lard, tallow, butter, or coconut oil. These are all in the "healthy fats" category. There are too many chemicals in the sprays for my liking and the soy/vegetable oils break down too easily.

I guess the question is- why are you using a spray? For non-stick? I expect that almost any meat product, with the exception of fish, would have enough oil to stop it from sticking. I guess it would depend on the cut and the recipe.

3. don2222

don2222

Fish is the main reason, haddock and salmon get stuck so hard they break up into small pieces. The manufacturer recommends spraying the inside of the grill for easier cleaning.
    Also so the ash and carbon do not stick to the auger.

Attached Files:

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Regarding the cooking surface, I usually fold up a paper towel and hold it with tongs. I dip it into vegetable oil, or spray it and rub it on the grill just before putting food down.

If grilling fish, it's always on foil, also sprayed with oil.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY I'm sure will chime in.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  5. JackHammer

JackHammer

You could put the fish on a clean piece of oak or hickory or something like that.

6. Warner

Warner

My favorite lake trout recipe:

fillet the fish and place on a soaked cedar board. Place in smoker for desired time. Remove, throw the fish away and eat the board.

eatonpcat, BHags, JackHammer and 2 others like this.
  7. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

like MikeInMa said i always cook fish on foil either sprayed with oil or rubbed with oil
    as far as the mfgr saying to spray the auger im calling bullchit....might make clean up in the cook chamber easier but thats about it.

MikeInMa likes this.
  8. don2222

don2222

Let me clarify that, the manufacturer only said to spray the inside of the grill not the auger.
    I spray my pellet stove augers with Dry Moly which really helps the pellets flow better but dry moly is not food grade for a smoker auger, therefore I am trying to find an alternative.

MikeInMa and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i would just not spray anything on it!! all the pellet cookers ive owned over the years and pellet stoves to this day i have never had anything stick to the auger.....how long do you actually think some lube is gonna stay on the auger??????????????

MikeInMa likes this.
  10. don2222

don2222

The dry moly is industrial high temperature and does do some bonding, much more on the cast iron augers like the Englander augers unlike the stainless steel augers. However I believe with annual applications, the SS augers do benefit. Many food grade non stick products may be too oily or greasy for the grill augers, that is why I am trying the Weber spray because it does not contain canola oil or vegetable oil.