The expenses of a Casket has had me searching for something with a dual purpose in mind and I've found a Casket/Crematorium and Wood Stove fitting for a true Firewood hoarder! Model 450 Water Capacity = 425 gal. Fire Box = 6'x3'x3' Fire Box Thickness = 1/2" BTU Rating = 416,752 Load = Side or Top Option = Remote Opener Price = $12,325.00 Save Money! Logs can cost up to 2/3 less than split wood and burns more efficiently due to size. Less work! No need to cut and split wood, just put whole logs in and close the lid
If you get that thing cranking I could picture the fires of hell jumping out at you when the lid opens. Not that I can imagine full logs will do much other than smolder unless that thing has a heck of a draft fan on it.
That is interesting. A 54 cubic foot firebox is 42% of a full cord of wood. I would imagine that puppy had better burn for quite some time given that I burn 3+ cord a year. I would need a few weeks out of one load. Can you imagine cleaning out the ash on a hot stove that has a 6 foot long firebox? Geesh! As much as I'd like that...I wouldn't like the set it and forget it. I like re-loading wood during the day. Also, what if you couldn't dial back the BTU's? Assuming 20,000,000 btu out of a cord, you'd have about 10 million plus BTU on a full load. It claims 416,752 BTU's, so that should burn about 25 hours (10,800,000 / 416,752). Assuming 120 days in a burning season, you'd use (120 days X .54 cord a day) = 64.8 cords annually. Hmm...sounds kind of insane. Even if I'm overstating usage by 300%, no average person could keep up with that or ever use that many BTUs.
My brother's wife's uncle gas an outdoor boiler and they burn about 100 cords a winter in it. They heat quite a bit of space though. House, garage, indoor pool, milking parlor, and a machine shed.
They don't exactly "process" it. It's on a large dairy farm so they either skid some logs out or have loggers come in and some of the wood they cut goes to the farm. My brother is just a few mins from them and he has a "tiny" piece of land of "only" 100ish acres. From what I understand one of the farm hands tends to it and they sort of cut from the pile as they go... maybe having a few days worth of logs ready to do. It's cut into 4ish ft lengths and put in the boiler with a skid steer. As long as it can fit in the door, it goes in there. With the high heat load on the boiler I don't think it idles very much so it's not really smokey that I noticed. I'm sure some of the wood is "wasted" to cooking off the moisture but it about the only practical way of doing it when using that much wood. Not sure the total sq footage but the machine shed alone is around 8000 sq ft with 20+ ft ceilings I'd guess.