In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl FS 36 trimmer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by DexterDay, Jul 27, 2014.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I picked this up at a great price. Started right up and runs great :) Very low hour unit that will clean up very nice.

I really don't need it, but I like that it's small and light. Plus, after getting rid of my Poulan, I don't have a trimmer to loan out. This will make a good loaner trimmer and for doing around my pond. I hate holding the new Stihl KM 130 R trimmer I bought, near wide open throttle for an hour (takes about an hour to do just the pond).

The only problem is the head. I just need a nut to fit the bottom of it. But I was also thinking of swapping it out for a head with the 3 Poly blades. I don't need string for the pond, because there is no objects to hit that would require the need for string (fence posts, rocks, or landscaping timbers, etc require string).

So, to any Stihl trimmer Guru's.. Do you know what a suitable replacement head would be for this model?

20140727_143510.jpg 20140727_143500.jpg

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Don't be afraid of WOT on your KM130. It's not going to hurt it and you can't overrev it. The coil is limited. Wide open with a good load on is great for it actually. Just like saws. Want to gum up a trimmer engine? Run them part throttle and for short durations. And the newer trimmers with single barrel Strato engines will actually use more fuel running part-throttle than being held wide-open.

IIRC the AutoCut 11-2 is the correct head for the 36. The nut is available separately and is fairly cheap as long as you still have everything else. (Spring, spool, etc.)

If you must run that thing, :p;), use it to do the light stuff around the house and sic the KM130 on the pond. That's my opinion anyways. Finding a 36 isn't too hard, finding one in good running condition can be. ;). They are a single main bearing design just like all the cheapie box store units we love to hate. Will not stand up to hours of hard use like your KM130 will.

HoneyFuzz, clemsonfor and DexterDay like this.
  3. MasterMech

Wow, just re-read my post, wasn't supposed to be a scathing review but that's what came out!

Sorry Dex! The 36 is an ok unit if it runs correctly, but when it gets hard to tune (air leak at the crank seal due to the single main bearing getting sloppy), it's scrap heap time. ;)

HoneyFuzz and DexterDay like this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I can't remember the head on it now, but I think what you posted is correct.

Do you think they made a Poly Head that will attach?

I have one for the 130, and it may fit? The thread size and pitch look the same?

If I get out to the garage I will give it a look.

5. MasterMech

It could have a 10-2 on it which is probably the original head. They were replaced by the 11-2.

I know they used to make a poly-cut head for the 36, don't know if the current ones fit it or not, chances are good that they would.

I take it you don't like the tap heads?

6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I like the tap heads, but the weeds are so hard around the pond, that I go through 2 heads in one pass around my pond. So the 3 blade poly unit shines doing this job. Anywhere else, I love the tap head. I have the Autocut 25-2 (pretty sure that's what it is?) And I bought an extra inner spool to carry.

I just don't like swapping the heads on the 130. It only takes a minute, but I have to keep everything together and in order. So the benefits of having a machine that's see up for each job would help immensely.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Friend thats a pro lands cap per hates tap heads says they take too much time. Uses the heads that take the pre cut line I think the oposite

8. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

I still use a manual head on my Shindaiwa.... I use less line than a tap head.... Especially at my property , where its still a little rougher . I keep all my trimmer tools, spare head , and brush cutter heads... In a little tool box. Same with my saw stuff ... But in a seperate box . If the trimmer or saws go... The boxes do as well. My property is vacant... So when i leave the house... Everything has to be with me and ready. If i have to come home for a forgotten thing ... Its gonna be a bad day :)

clemsonfor and DexterDay like this.
  9. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Oh btw Dex.... Cool old Stihl trimmer buddy !!

DexterDay likes this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

:picard:

Slow down bud.. Proof read. :handshake:

11. lukem

lukem

We used these for clearing a large hillside a couple times a year. The grass/weeds were heavy, tended to tangle up, and ate regular string like crazy. They're pretty cheap and might be worth a try.

blade.jpg

DexterDay, HoneyFuzz and clemsonfor like this.