In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Do you make your own tallow or lard?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by JackHammer, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Rothk

Rothk

Whenever we run out of duck fat, we just buy another duck to roast and get another 1-2 cups in the fridge. It's a great all-purpose cooking fat. With as much as some of these boutiques charge for duck fat, we are basically eating the duck for free (and then some).

Sirchopsalot, JackHammer and BCB like this.
  2. BCB

BCB

I do the same lol. I have 2 duck carcasses in the freezer waiting to be turned into stock.

JackHammer and Rothk like this.
  3. JackHammer

JackHammer

I love duck but don't eat it very often. You are making me hungry...
    I may not have duck but I process my own meat chickens. Those taste much better than store bought.

4. g60gti

g60gti

Have trimmings from a 17 pound brisket rendering away in the crock pot right now. First time I’ve ever attempted making tallow, not sure how it’s gonna come out. I have thrown away quite a bit of fat in the past, always feel bad about it. Last couple briskets I trimmed I used the fat for sausages. Trying to be better about wasting as little as possible.

JackHammer likes this.
  5. g60gti

g60gti

Is it supposed to be yellow until it solidifies then turn white? Not sure. Can you only use grass fed? Not really sure what kind of feed was used. It was choice grade superior angus beef from restaurant depot. Got a 16oz jar from about 2.5 pounds of fat. Hope all that wasn’t for something I can’t use!! image.jpg

eatonpcat likes this.
  6. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yeah, that looks about right. It will take about 3 hrs to cool and then be white/cream colored. The best part are the cracklins.

7. BHags

BHags

I am by no means a health nut. I eat and drink what I want, when I want. But is using tallow or lard less healthy than say butter?

eatonpcat, mat60 and jrider like this.
  8. JackHammer

JackHammer

I think tallow and lard is great. I also eat huge quantities of butter, coconut oil, avocado, and olive oil. In regards to health, I eat cyclical keto and fat is great. I am 6ft 164 and skip lunch every day. I also feel like i have a ton of energy.

What is not great is: peanut, canola, vegetable, and shortening. Especially if those things are heated for a long time- the oils break down and wreak havoc on your system. If I have rings or fries with lots of carbs at a bar, I feel like garbage.

BCB, wildwest and mat60 like this.
  9. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

My opinion, and a bit cynical at that: anything coming from a factory is questionable. Some of that we here choose to deal with, other items are easier to cut out and possibly replace.

Anything that is processed beyond the raw product, sees a degradation of the product. Anything from a factory, where money is made, is subject to cheaping out on ingredients, process, materials and whatnot. Then theres the stuffola they add that won't hurt you in "trace amounts " that dont get declared on the label....which the fda approves of. (Read the Maker's Diet).

Sorta sorry for the rant. Anything which individuals have direct control of, to include your local farmers/producers you trust, and to exclude big ag, is a winner. Love my butter, but are using better products and whatever we can make ourselves.

That things were hard to find a year ago....reinforces that at a different level.

Sca

JackHammer likes this.
  10. JackHammer

JackHammer

Your opinion may be cynical but you are by no means alone. I hate processed foods and my wife and I work hard to keep them out of our diet. We look for local, grass fed, organic and non-gmo. We have a ton of vegetables from our garden, I process my own chickens for meat and have eggs from our flock. I have a mind to pick up hunting over this next year to fill up the freezer with some additional variety.

Rothk and BCB like this.