In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Splitter prices going up...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by System, Feb 22, 2021.

1. System

System

Out of curiosity, I went back and looked up all the contenders that I considered to replace my DHT splitter less than 2 months ago. The Swisher I bought is up considerably and the I&O units are as well. Even the County Line 40 ton at TSC is up a couple hundred. I wonder what other gear is on the rise?

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Without looking I would guess all of it. I know parts prices for cars & trucks are up across the board here as well a groceries, fuel, etc.

3. Screwloose

Screwloose

Raw materials have been rising for my shop. And the covid impact raises everyone's operational costs.

4. System

System

I've been watching other OPE equipment and while I realize the costs are up all over the place, I'm not really seeing it in OPE other than splitters right now. I wonder if a specific component of them has gone up? IE: something expensive like the engines.

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

Prices will probably go up across the board due to inflation. Also, if oil prices increase that will drive up prices since we are a petroleum world; plastics come from oil as well as fuel. Look around the house and see how much plastics are in our products.

6. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Not too related, but I started charging $25 minimum delivery on firewood. With diesel in CA at 3.99, sorry I’m not footing the bill. I offer free pickup, no takers yet.
    Will be interested to see how it pans out in a few years from now.

7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Seems to me everything is going up.
    Gas..
    Food...
    you name it.
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if splitter prices have increased as well.

A couple things have gone down and will continue to do so.
    Paychecks...
    and elevators...:headbang:

8. triptester

triptester

Steel prices have skyrocketed and trade tariffs have caused the price of most consumer grade splitters, which are made in China to rise.

9. System

System

I'm glad I upgraded when I did! Usually, I find a better deal after I buy. My wife always tells me, "Once you purchase something, STOP SHOPPING." I am a gluten for punishment though and generally can't help myself. For once my OCD has paid off and I feel like I got a good deal... LOL...

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It happens. Prices rise and will continue.

I think back and remember that I once bought gas for my car at $0.079 per gallon! It cost me less than a dollar to fill up. My first car cost me $30.00 and my first new car cost $1835.00. My first home was bought completely furnished and cost $7,500.00. Yes, those things today cost much more and the prices will keep raising.

11. System

System

Prices and inflation are always on the rise. My point of this thread wasn't because something obvious like that shocked me. It was merely to point out that other OPE equipment that I've ogled of late is the same price that I've seen it for quite a while while splitters alone have made a jump in the last two months.

amateur cutter likes this.
  12. JohnNH

JohnNH

Supply and demand. They who have the supplies can demand the price.

13. System

System

You should see the powersports industry lately John. It's insane! Full MSRP on things and they are selling them as fast as they get them. All the dealer leftover inventory is cleared out too.

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Like the Chinese parts with the new tariffs?

amateur cutter and Haftacut like this.
  15. System

System

Of the ones I was considering, the brand I landed on, Swisher, has gone up the most. From what I can tell, the Kawasaki motor it uses is made in the MO Kawasaki plant. (Which would make sense since Swisher is also made in MO.) So, what on mine would be made in China and suffer from a tariff? Maybe the valve or pump? Certainly nothing that would necessitate an almost $500 price increase in the last couple months. Perhaps they are raising prices knowing that the new administration's attack on the fossil fuel industry will drive heating costs sending more folks in search of a biomass alternative. That's just me speculating...

amateur cutter and Biddleman like this.
  16. RIburn

RIburn

Can't even get a sniff at some of the in demand units local to me. They move out as fast as they come in... My neighbor has been shopping for a Gator or Kubota UTV and is looking out of state due to price - to our North - where they are pretty much in the same boat based on what he has told me. Luckily I don't need something anytime soon. Should have pulled the trigger in fall of '19 when I was more seriously looking.

17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Its really not a surprise. Fuel prices going up literally affects anything made, shipped, produced, etc. by fuel.

Its only gonna get worse I'm afraid. If you want a new piece of equipment don't wait too long. Soon there will be a tax on buying fossil fuel appliances or equipment.

amateur cutter and Biddleman like this.
  18. System

System

I'm glad I'm stocked in the ATV/SXS department. I have a 2019 Polaris Sportsman 1k and my wife has a 2018 Polaris General. However, this is the year we were planning to get back into snowmobiling. Prices are just stupid right now. I'm hoping that if we snow check a pair in the spring, we can shop it a bit and get a better number than what we are seeing on in stock stuff right now. I long for the 2008-2012 recession pricing. Back then I remember buying 2 atvs and 2 snowmobiles over that 4 year period. Dealers were discounting 3-4k off MSRP back then and were happy to get it. Now you're lucky if they throw in a free ball cap with your purchase... LOL...

19. Warner

Warner

I think when things get tight people will be looking to dump stuff that they over extended themselves on. I could be completely wrong tho...

amateur cutter, Biddleman and System like this.
  20. System

System

Agreed. The bubble has to burst... it's just a question of when...