In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone gearing up to Sugar?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by the fuse, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Warner

Warner

He had some more told me to take them all but I felt bad he wouldn’t take any money. He is my neighbor we help each other when needed maybe I can barter for the rest.

2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Treat it like milk. If you can keep it cold, ie covered in snow and in the shade, you're ok ive read. Last year I froze some, then had about 15 gallons in the basement refrigerator when I did my boil. It all came out good.

3. Warner

Warner

I have a plastic 30 gallon drum I could bury in the snow.

metalcuttr, Chazsbetterhalf and mat60 like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

Picked up some stove pipe today and cleared an area. I need a 5" to 6" increaser for the old stove. :rolleyes:. I'll cobble something up if I can't get one soon.

Rain this week should melt some snow so I can find some concrete blocks out back. I have an idea to make a temporary shack for a few weeks. I'll grab some corrugated metal later this week for roofing.

I noticed last years holes didn't heal over, but they aren't weeping sap. Anyone know how long it takes for them to cover up?

metalcuttr and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol

They should really like it. My dad tapped one large Norway when we were kids. He didnt get much sap, but the process was neat to see and then enjoy the syrup on pancakes.

metalcuttr, Chazsbetterhalf and mat60 like this.
  6. Softwood

Softwood

That works. The sooner you use the sap the better but lots of people only have time to boil on weekends so it sits for awhile. If you can keep it cold it will keep awhile, might make a little darker syrup but who cares.

7. Warner

Warner

Yeah I will only have time on the weekends.

8. Softwood

Softwood

mapletrader.com is a good forum to learn stuff about making syrup. There's a lot of 'high tech' guys on there with vacuum lines and stuff but there's a lot of regular backyard syrup makers on there too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. Softwood

Softwood

If you can see to the bottom of your barrel (clear sap) you should be fine. Even a little cloudy is okay in my experience anyways. Like Mwalsh said it's best if you can keep your storage barrel in the shade and covered in snow.

10. the fuse

the fuse

We poured a concrete pad to put the arch on. Makes it easier and leveler to boil on. It's easy to find and shovel off when it comes time and there's still a foot of snow. We never bothered with a shack. Makes it possible to boil in the rain but it takes up space and work. When it's for fun, who wants to boil in the rain anyway? We collect into a couple sterilized 44 gallon garbage cans. Never had any trouble leaving sap in them for a few days, so long as it stays cold. The holes in the trees heal up in a couple years, on their own.......just put the next years holes 6-8 inches away. What do you folks use as fuel for boiling? Standing dead softwood for us......spruce, pine, balsam.....whatever happens to be ready.

11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'll second mapletrader.com as a great place to learn.

I have started popping my oak sapwood off with the splitter when I process my wood. I have a decent pile of oak sapwood that is quite dry and ready to go. My only issue is I was way busy in the fall, and I never got a chance to process the load of locust I brought in. It is right where I planned to set up my arch....and covered in a foot of snow. I am going to have to set it up in front of my wood shed again. A PITA to maneuver around, but oh well.

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

I want more of a windbreak as the wind comes pretty brisk around our barn. It will be something simple.

Wood supply is spruce, fir and pine split a little thin. There is a large fallen pine off the ground out back that is dry. Limb wood will be perfect. We just got two pumps delivered at work and I should be able to get the crates and cut them up. Outside will be pre-boil and finish in the kitchen.

13. the fuse

the fuse

A wind break is a good idea. An engineer friend of ours argues that wind helps the evaporation. I get that thought. Wind helps evaporation off still water in the sun. But, nothing slows boiling faster than a brisk wind. All about the boiling with making maple syrup far as I can see.

14. Troutbum

Troutbum

I collected about 3 gallons of sap today.

15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

First time in a week and a half today that I actually felt good. I got some of my buckets cleaned up, and tapped 10 trees. I will get the rest out hopefully Saturday.

16. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Glad to hear you feeling better.

metalcuttr, Mwalsh9152 and the fuse like this.
  17. fishingpol

fishingpol

Just a small hobby operation here. I spent about two hours setting up the stove and staging with metal roof. Three trees were tapped yesterday for about 2 gallons of sap. Fired up the Jotul and cooked the sap down and finished inside. The stainless pan sits really well on the stove cooktop.

It poured all day, but under the roof was dry. The Mrs grabbed two more tarps, so I can close in 3 sides. There was a little wind, and that made it chilly. A windbreak and that stove cranking will be good tomorrow.

Just getting going. About 7 feet of stack pulls really well.

20210227_131612.jpg

20210227_153241.jpg
    I ran it through cheese cloth while boiling. Still cloudy, but I'll be fine with it. Good to be back inside. Temp only got to 40 with snow to rain all day.
    20210227_174353.jpg

18. fishingpol

fishingpol

Starting early. Pre-warming the sap in the bucket should help today.

20210228_070953.jpg

19. Loon

Loon

Think ill give it a whirl again this year.:chef:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fishingpol

fishingpol

That's a nice setup. I bet it boils off nicely. I figured I may as well enjoy what's left of winter outside.

:coffee: