In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Leaner Advice

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Aje1967, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Aje1967

Aje1967

Have these two shagbarks to drop. Probably 16" or so DBH. The horizontal one is something and I have no idea what to do with it. Probably need some kind of backhoe or something. FD18EE58-2E8B-41BE-97AE-C8C9D5479E05.jpeg E4FA47FC-ACEE-42B3-9A83-6C98E7323FAC.jpeg The other leaner I plan to use open face notch with plunge cut, cut the back strap a little low. Does this seem a good idea? Any info appreciated.

2. walt

walt

Yes you are on the right track ,the notch doesn't have to be very deep. When you cut the backstrap drop down a foot or so and step back if it doesn't go you can come back with another cut above this one

3. Joe P

Joe P

That 2nd one will barber chair if you notch it and start your back cut from the outside of the tree. Cut your notch, the make your back cut by bore cutting thru the center, and work your what towards the outside away from the hinge. Do NOT cut all the way thru yet. Stop the back cut when you have about 2" across of holding wood. Work your cut towards the notch until you have a 1" hinge. Pull the saw, touch the holding wood on the back and VOILA! tree comes down with no barber chair.

1st pic I'd probably do the same, but drop the tree immediately next to it to get some working room.

My .02 worth. If you don't have it, I recommend the book, To FELL a tree. I take it in the woods with me as reference material for the ugly ones. I dropped a 16" cherry last weekend that looked like an elongated "S" on its side. We used the tractor to support it and it still barber chaired...

4. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I like to wrap a heavy ratchet strap or three around the trunk tight above the cut. It helps hold it together if it decides to come loose.

5. JCMC

JCMC

What isaaccarlson said: Only I use a chain with a chain binder.

6. Screwloose

Screwloose

I use a chain with a grab hook if I use anything. I recommend boring and cut back to the trigger but I don't like cutting the trigger from the outside. It's a crap shoot if the trigger is sound wood not so I cut towards the trigger and just keep on going. Half the trees in the crooked forrest I'm clearing look like that.
    If you want a hand or anything let me know as you can't be more than 20 minutes from me.

7. Aje1967

Aje1967

Thanks for all the good info and offers of assistance. I did drop one without too much lean, but it was leaning. The plunge cut with low back cut worked like a charm. The chain binder idea is good and I will probably utilize it on the more dramatic leaners. Great idea. I will consider simply continuing the back cut from within the plunge cut. The low cut trigger cut did work for me but I was dropping health hickory not questionable wood.

8. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I am familiar with the bore cut, and cutting out to the trigger, and wrapping chain around the trunk, etc., but I have not heard of the low cut trigger. Someone please elaborate on the low cut trigger.

amateur cutter and Screwloose like this.
  9. Screwloose

Screwloose

By varying the height of the trigger you get somewhat of a time release effect as the wood peels away.