In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Questions about shotguns

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by JackHammer, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Casper

Casper

Save local ordinances, small game are OK with an air rifle.

PA Mountain Man and eatonpcat like this.
  2. lukem

lukem

I have a Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel in 20 gauge. It is great for home defense with 3" 00buck and busting rabbits.

I have an old 870 express with a 20" barrel and 28" barrel. It is as reliable as the sunrise and will do anything you want to do in North America inside of 100 yards.

I have Benelli SBE3 that is ridiculously overpriced, but is effortless to carry and shoot and will cycle any ammo you feed it. I really, really, really like that gun but feel a little dirty about how much I paid for it.

If I had to pick 1, it's hands-down the 870. It's every bit as heavy as it is reliable, ugly as it is cheap, and rusty and it is capable.

Eckie, EODMSgt, FatBoy85 and 3 others like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

You don't aim a shotgun, you point it. You aim a rifle or pistol.

So, with a shotgun, it needs to be pointed in the right spot when you mount it (bring it up to your cheek and shoulder). A shotgun that fits will be pointed in the right spot upon mounting it without any thinking/adjusting/etc. You should be looking flat down the center of the barrel/rib for a properly pointed shotgun.

Higher end shotguns are adjustable for both drop (up and down) and cast (left and right) by adding/removing shims between the stock and receiver. I added drop and cast off to get my Benelli dialed in.

Lower end shotguns are made for the "average adult male". This will vary by manufacturer and model...so some guns "fit" and others don't. You can adjust drop and cast on cheaper ones my removing some material from the grip of the stock, but this takes some skill.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    WESF, FatBoy85, huskihl and 3 others like this.
  4. JackHammer

JackHammer

Uh, 20 min? I am over in Geauga off 90. Wanna hit up the range?

FatBoy85, Horkn and Casper like this.
  5. Casper

Casper

Like this one?

20200618_195556.jpg 20200620_114722.jpg

I'm about 18 miles due east of Sidleys.

Chaz, FatBoy85, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  6. JackHammer

JackHammer

Chaz, FatBoy85, Casper and 1 other person like this.
  7. Casper

Casper

I have my own range. I thought you would be near the silica mine.

8. JackHammer

JackHammer

Hmm. I am not sure. There are a few ranges around Chardon and Middlefield.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  9. Casper

Casper

I'm in central Ash. Co. you could come out when the weather breaks and shoot an 11-87 (semi) and a 870 if you want.

Chaz, FatBoy85, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  10. JackHammer

JackHammer

Sounds like fun.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sidley's Concrete??

FatBoy85 likes this.
  12. Casper

Casper

Pre-cast and silica pit.

Screenshot_20210209-070651_Maps.jpg

FatBoy85 and eatonpcat like this.
  13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I have seen Sidley Precast on some of my projects, but it seems like mostly Mack out of Valley City is used around here.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  14. jrider

jrider

Was that 870 an express? They are the cheaper version to the wingmaster

FatBoy85 and Ronaldo like this.
  15. blacktail

blacktail

Yes

FatBoy85 likes this.
  16. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Have seen a lot of problems with the latest 870 Express's, mostly rough chambers with extraction problems. If you can find a good used Wingmaster, that would be a good gun for hunting or defense. The Benelli Nova's are excellent pumps that are made in hunting models and tactical (defense) models. My current favorite would be a Mossberg 590 A1 or a Mossberg 500 variant of any kind. There are so many different variations of the Mossbergs and the factory and aftermarket accessories are easy to find for these. Any of these pump action guns are pretty reasonably priced, too.

FatBoy85 and blacktail like this.
  17. chris

chris

Mossburg- Maverick is the bottom line pump unit.

18. JackHammer

JackHammer

I was surprised at the super small magazines, especially on semi-autos. Then I figured out about the limiter plug... for hunting it makes about as much sense as the other firearm laws but for recreation at the range, I am glad that is something that can be removed.

FatBoy85 and Horkn like this.
  19. mywaynow

mywaynow

A nice older Remington 1187 or 870 would be a solid choice. Barrels are significant with Shotguns. Clay birds vs. Turkey vs Slugs vs Buckshot. If you intend to participate in all those you will likely need 3 barrels. Turkey barrels are short with extra tight chokes. Slug barrels will be short and rifled (good ones). You can use the same barrel for Clay birds and buckshot most likely. I owned an 870 from the late 70's for most of my younger years in the field. Great gun. Still in my family. I now shoot an 1187 SPS slug gun which is deadly out to 120 yards. All that said, for used guns stick with older Remingtons. I recently recommended to my son to purchase the Mossberg combo set 500 line. Don't get stuck on semi-autos either. I was just as quick with an 870 as I am with a semi-auto. Simpler can be better. Good luck

20. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I have three 870s (two older Express Magnums and a newer tactical). While there are much fancier shotguns out there, the 870s have done everything I needed them to and have never failed me. I also believe in muscle memory and I've used that model for so many years (as well as in the military) that handling/shooting them is second nature so why change. I agree that newer Remingtons have a corrosion issue however the tactical 870 is strictly for home defense so it stays indoors. The older 870s have spent a lot of time in the field and I never had a corrosion issue with them. I do have a bolt action Browning A-Bolt .12 gauge and a couple others shotguns but usually just grab one of the 870s. Check multiple models out at a gun store (if they have any in stock), throw them in your shoulder, factor in the added weight of multiple shells (if you're going to be carrying it for hunting), work the cycling mechanisms, and go with the one that fits you the best.