In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Questions about shotguns

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by JackHammer, Feb 7, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have been researching about shotguns and have a few beginner questions...

I am looking at a shotgun as my next firearm, most likely 12 gauge. I like the semi-automatic because of the speed. I don't hunt birds or shoot competitively, but I would hunt deer, turkey or potentially large north American game. I suppose this would be mainly for hunting and self defense. I tend to gravitate towards the more classic looking and feeling weapons but a great shooting gun is the goal, regardless of the paint job.

I have a Henry 45-70 rifle so in a case where I would want to move a lot of lead, or hunt big game, I would probably grab that first. I also have a wife that I could persuade for one shotgun, but probably not 3 or 4. This would be my 'one' shotgun and, I want to make it count.

I have been considering:
    Mossberg jm pro
    Benelli M4, Montefeltro, or Ethos with a full length mag extension.
    Beretta xplor or they have a competition gun that seems nice.

Are there any other models that I should take a look at? Any brands to avoid? Any barrel length recommendations? I don't think I need a particularly long or short barrel. What would be an appropriate mid-length size to consider? What are some 1st time shotgun owner questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Benelli makes their M2 model in a 24 inch barrel that would really cross over between hunting and home defense. You can get magazine extensions to easily increase your capacity.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

3. Casper

Casper

I'm a rifle guy, have an AR Pistol with 40gr ballistic tipped 3300fps loads for home defense. They fragment really well in passing through two layers of drywall.

That said, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with a shorter (18.5") barrel and a 24"-28" barrel for hunting would be a decent choice. No doubt, Benelli stuff is top shelf, I just like the idea of a shorter barrel inside a home. Easier to maneuver and less leverage if a bad guy gets a hold of it in a struggle.

T.Jeff Veal, FatBoy85, Ron T and 5 others like this.
  4. JackHammer

JackHammer

Is it standard for shotguns to have multiple barrels? Maybe having 2 barrels for different applications would be a good idea.

T.Jeff Veal, FatBoy85 and Horkn like this.
  5. Aje1967

Aje1967

I have a Montefeltro and cannot say it fits well. My buddy has an Ethos and fits nice. My brother has an Benelli Ultralight and it too fits better than the Montefeltro. Not familiar with your other ideas.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Not really standard per say, but some do.

I started with a 12 gauge single shot, and when I bought my first new gun, it was a Mossberg 500 with the smoothbore barrel with interchangeable choke tubes, and a fully rifled barrel with an integral cantilever scope mount. The scope mount built into the barrel meant that the scope should be on, and not get out of whack when you swap barrels.

It worked well, especially as a bird, trap and small game gun. As a deer gun, it was pretty accurate, but even using sabot slugs, it kicked like a mule.

I sold the Mossberg, and bought a browning gold 3.5" semi auto with a mid length barrel with the choke tubes. I use it for all small game. Geese, ducks, squirrel, vermin, trap/ skeet, and could for turkeys and home defense too. It shoots great. Smooth, light, reliable, sharp looking gun. It cycles everything, except for the lightest test loads. It also tames recoil very well because of the gas system. Not inexpensive though. I got a 7 mm rem mag bolt action Ruger for deer.

I've also got an AR in 7.62x39 for pretty much any use.
    As you said, you have a 45/70 for deer, so I'd keep it that way.

A shorter barreled 12 ga will work great for home defense use.

T.Jeff Veal, Ronaldo and JackHammer like this.
  7. Softwood

Softwood

Though it's a pump(most can shoot as fast as a semi-auto), the ol tried and true 870 is a very effective (from birds to bears). And affordable.

T.Jeff Veal, WESF, Monster80 and 5 others like this.
  8. JackHammer

JackHammer

What so you mean by 'fits'? Is that purely the length of the stock or is there something else to consider? I guess maybe I should hold some of these at a local shop.

T.Jeff Veal and FatBoy85 like this.
  9. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yeah, I looked at those first. With my rifle being lever action, I wanted to increase potential fire power. I do agree, they seem like great guns and plenty quick.

T.Jeff Veal, FatBoy85 and Softwood like this.
  10. Aje1967

Aje1967

You will need to try the gun and maybe have someone who knows what they are doing see how it fits as well. The Montefeltro does not mount naturally for me and I have to move my head to get a good sight picture. May trade it in for an Ethos or maybe an over/under.

11. huskihl

huskihl

Stick with the Benelli or Beretta options for semi-auto

12. blacktail

blacktail

New Remington shotguns are not what they used to be. If looking at lower priced guns, I'd go Mossberg every day over Remington.
    I bought an 870 in 20g a few years ago because it was on sale and I had cabela's points to use. Cost me like $70 out of pocket. It rusts if you even think about taking it out of the safe and I had to replace the extractor after firing less than a box of shells through it.

13. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Same here and that's what I just picked up Mossberg Maverick 88, budget version of the Mossberg 500, identical shotguns minus the trigger assembly and safety. But those are pump actions.

14. JackHammer

JackHammer

The ultralight should probably be on my short list but it seems to have 2+1. That is a little smaller than I was hoping for. Is there a way to see if a cartiage extender will work? Is this common knowledge for all Benelli fans?

15. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Some observations and questions for JackHammer
    I like your profile pic and we need computer nerds. :thumbs:
    It sounds as if you are new to hunting and own 1 other firearm. Nothing wrong with that. We need more responsible hunters and gun owners.
    You may want to check out Ohio regulations on hunting or other states you intend to hunt.
    Your 45-70 will handle big game if you put the bullet in the right spot and understand its range limitations.
    How much experience do you have shooting and or hunting with shotguns?
    My recommendation for first time shotgun for hunting small game, turkey, waterfowl would be a used pump like Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
    You need to learn to safely handle and shoot a shotgun and sporting clays and squirrel/rabbit hunting are perfect for this.
    Making the first shot count is more important than spraying lead.
    Gunbroker.com has hundreds of used guns available at reasonable prices compared to new.
    You might be able to afford 2 used for the price of a new Benelli
    If you don't like your first one or want to upgrade to a semi, trade it.
    Gunshops and gunbroker are great for this.
    Also look for the ability to swap barrels. My 870 came with 24" barrel with screw in chokes. I added a 20" rifled barrel for close in work with slugs.
    Good luck in your search and be safe.

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, WESF and 4 others like this.
  16. huskihl

huskihl

I’ve owned 11-87’s, couple Berettas, several Browning models, Winchesters, some Charles Daly models, and been around nearly every model of pump and semi-auto in the harshest duck hunting situations. Rain, snow, dogs shaking off after every retrieve, mud up to your knees, using your gun to prevent a full-on faceplant in the mud, rattling around in the boat for hours on end. I’ve never seen a semi-auto or pump weapon refuse to jam or misfire like a Benelli or Beretta.
    I currently have a Beretta Silver Mallard and a couple 3.5” Extremas and have sold off most of the others I’ve owned

17. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Rem 870 or Mossberg, Benelli pump is a great place to start. They can and will do anything you ask of them. MANY people prefer pumps for their simplicity and dependability and never need or want anything else.

Cannot disagree.

18. JackHammer

JackHammer

Thanks for this, I appreciate you putting everything down. You are correct on most things. The 45/70 is too heavy for a lot of game but the straight walled cartriage is ok in Ohio for deer if I wanted to use it. I could use that same round on small game if I decide to take up abstract wildlife art...
    I have a .30 cal big bore air rifle with several hundred rounds through it. It has also been used on small game. That is my "rabbit" gun.
    I am new to deer hunting but I have done a lot of fishing in the Atlantic. That was mostly sea bass, blues, cod, ling and thresher shark. Not exactly moose hunting but I am not foreign to the chase and the kill.
    I don't know a lot about shotguns but seeing what the newer shotguns can do is pretty incredible.

19. Casper

Casper

How far are you from Ashtabula County?

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  20. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I understand the 45-70 now. Straight wall rifle cartridges only in OH.
    I had heard OH was shotgun only for deer but that was years ago.
    The air rifle wasn't mentioned in the OH regs, so you might want to check on that.
    I'm guessing the OH wildlife officials are just as good as the ones in PA at issuing citations.
    Learn the regs and follow them.
    Yes, there are some things they have improved on with shotguns over the years but the most important part is a safe operator that can make the first shot count.
    I killed more pheasant with my double 12 muzzle loading shotgun than the guys with the fancy new semi's shooting 3" magnum loads.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and Casper like this.