In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood at Rural King

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Cheepbeer, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

.75cu.ft for $4.99. damm!!!! I thought it was bad when they had little biddy bales 'o hay for $15.99

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'm always amazed at that to.
    Was at the grocery store with my Mrs and I slipped a bundle in the cart. Didn't get far.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:rofl: :lol::thumbs:

4. ErikR

ErikR

I could live like a king if I could sell my wood for the price that our local Walmart gets.... A .65 cubic foot cardboard box of "all natural firewood" for $7.64!
    Someone check my thinking but... 128/.65= 196(rounded down to nearest whole number) boxes per cord X $7.64 = $1497.44
    Yikes, I'd sell all my premium, dry red oak at that price! Crazy!

20210110_143228.jpg

5. Biddleman

Biddleman

Counted 9 splits for over $8.00 at lowes, then they had 6 splits of white birch for $10 something. More power to them, if they can get it.

6. Ron T

Ron T

Local ace hardware 20201223_165007.jpg

7. RIburn

RIburn

Nothing like some good 'ol "all natural firewood":rofl: :lol:

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

And you could charge a premium for "organic" Firewood.

9. Eckie

Eckie

Don't forget "non GMO", that's gotta add some $ to the price you can charge!

10. ErikR

ErikR

I can see my ad now...

For Sale: Artisanal Organic Firewood

Mixed Red and White Oak.

This premium Oak firewood has been carefully hand harvested using vintage tools and time tested methods from my private wood lot.
    It was selected for harvest based on sustainable forestry practices, and was gathered with minimal damage the forest ecosystem.
    It was carefully hand split and stacked in the sun and wind for over 3 years to ensure proper drying.
    It was top covered to keep it out of the rain and snow in an effort to protect the structural integrity of the wood.
    Any color changes on the ends of the wood are a naturally occurring side effect of outdoor, solar drying, and exposure to the elements.
    It is guaranteed to test under 20% on a moisture meter, a number recommended by many stove manufactures and the EPA.
    This wood is split to a size to make it easy for anyone to handle, but please wear gloves as wood has been known to cause slivers.

This ultra premium firewood is available for a limited time and in limited quantities.

It is the finest firewood available anywhere, at any price!

It is priced as follows.

One quarter of a face cord (one 12th of a cord) 16"d x 24"w x 48"t... $85
    One half of a face cord (one 6th of a cord) 16"d x 48"w x 48"t... $160
    One face cord (one 3rd of a cord) 16"d x 96"w x 48"t... $310

Full cords are not available at the time, but you can reserve your wood, limit 2 face cords, for delivery in time for the 2023-2024 heating season...

Perfection takes time.

Prices include, hand loading and unloading, stacking, and delivery in a covered pickup truck, within 20 miles.

11. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Id collect sticks on the side of the rd before i pay that!!! Oh wait i do collect sticks on the side of the road :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

12. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I get those prices now, with an ad that impressive more like double

13. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

It a real deal

Attached Files:

14. M2theB

M2theB

Is stacking standard or part of a premium package by artisan placers for optimum seasonal curing methods passed down through generations of wood burners?

15. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

I’ve been talking to my local saw shop and next year I’m going to bring firewood up to his lot and throw it in a big pile. I’m gonna leave my wheelbarrow there and people can have as much as they can fit in the wheelbarrow for five bucks. Based on the prices at the convenient stores here it’s a good deal for them and a good deal for me. I’ve been talking to my local saw shop and next year I’m going to bring firewood up to his lot and throw it in a big pile. I’m gonna leave my wheelbarrow there and people can have as much as they can fit in the wheelbarrow for five bucks. Based on the prices at the convenient stores here it’s a good deal for them and a good deal for me. I’m also trying to find a apartment complex in town that will let me do the same thing, just sit out in the parking lot all day with a trailer full of wood and a wheelbarrow. People in an apartment can’t store whole rick of wood anyway and it would be cheaper than buying it at a convenient store for sure.

16. Eckie

Eckie

Not sure what size wheelbarrow you have, one or two wheeler? Even for a one wheeler, if its heaped up, I could see charging at least $10 for it. They're still getting a heck of a deal compared to those little bundles and I imagine you'd have no problem getting at least $10...

Do you sell wood now? If so, how much do (or would you) you sell a trailer load for, and how many wheelbarrow loads are in a trailer load? Selling small amounts (wheelbarrow) should get a lot more $ than the trailer load... Just my .02

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

X2

18. MikeyB

MikeyB

Some of the pre war apartment buildings my company owns/manages have wood burning fireplaces.
    All of the convenient/food markets/coffee places sell bagged fire wood for $10.00 or more for the typical .75 cf bundle.
    They have no problem selling these for that price by Central Park.
    I always see a big box truck unloading the bundles along Columbus Ave to the stores.
    If you could get your hands on a few accounts there you will have no problem selling firewood.
    My 10 year and myself are looking to set up a small stand in the front of our house next fall and try our hand at it. (Thanks to Jrider for the inspiration)
    I am going to work on re-splitting some black oak in the next couple of months and give it another summer to dry in and see how we do.

19. Yawner

Yawner

I've done a lot of marketing stuff in my life. Here are some suggestions, FWIW.

First off, selling firewood loose is less appealing to buyers because it is not bundled, so, only time will tell if your concept will work. Loose wood is harder to handle. But, it just might work great. I would try to come up with some kind of way to bundle it easily if someone needs it. Like a giant bag or box.

Women will probably be a big part of the demographics. I would try to sell real clean, truly seasoned wood, preferably without bark and very uniform in size, and on the smaller side. Likely, whatever is your typical split size, halve it.

Do the rest of us who sell firewood a favor and AT LEAST double that price. That is WAY too low. You are hurting us but you are also hurting your bottom line because there is no need to sell it that cheap. Read up the economic term, elasticity.

Do not use a giant wheelbarrow. No need for it, plus, many/most buyers won't have room for that much wood or won't want that much. They just want enough wood for a fire or two.

Promote it as "an entire wheelbarrow full!" rather than "fill it up as high as you can." There just isn't any need for the latter IMO. That they are getting an entire wheelbarrow full is enough draw.

Most stores sell .65 cu ft or .75 cu ft for between $5 and $10. Give them twice as much wood and I bet it'll sell. But I bet somebody has tried it, so, we will see what others say.

Mykidsdadd, brenndatomu and Midwinter like this.
  20. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

Yeah I sell wood now , I am selective on who I sell to anymore. Sell it by what we call a rick here. My trailer holds about 3 and I get 60-80 a rick, so potentially 240 dollars. I have no idea how many wheel burrows full that is.