In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Polar vortex coming?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Yawner

Yawner

So, you want snow? This article says that in the next week or two you might be seeing the polar vortex dip down into the USA like it sometimes does. A couple years ago, it did. It's hard to predict, it says. I guess until it starts happening.

I would actually welcome some cold weather, I like winter. Believe it or not, yesterday, we had snow, only an inch or so. A 'significant' snowfall is rare. Biggest I ever saw here was 7 inches and that was New Years Eve, Y2K, remember Y2k?

Just talked to a buddy near Austin, TX and he got 3 inches snow!

You have to give your email address, at least I did but I gave them one I never use, lol.

The polar vortex is coming—and raising the odds for intense winter weather

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I spoke with a guy from the L.P. and he mentioned he had heard that too....the "polar vortex" ( :picard: ) was going to show up by the end of the month or something like that.

Every winter we go through our below zero weather.... even before it had such an intimidating name! :rofl: :lol:

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

We had a couple nights this year in the single digits, some teens and plenty of 20s. I'm hoping for some more single digits (or colder) What I like about those temperatures is how quiet everything is. Most people are hunkered down indoors so being outside and dressed for the occasion can be serene. I think it's been a couple years since I saw below zero so we're due. Bring on the vortex :)

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

5. Buck55

Buck55

Bring it I sez!

6. Loon

Loon

On the Barbeque somewhere? :drunk:

7. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Its hard to provoke concern over something without a name. I think its one of the reasons we started naming snow storms.

8. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

I feel like this winter has been pretty mild so far and I have plenty of black locust left so bring it on.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Same here. Hand splitting when that cold is fun too. Frozen ground is nice too!

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Absolutely! I live on a long steep hill and my backyard gets pretty soggy 3 out of 4 seasons a year. The water rushes downhill, sometimes making a small temporary brook behind my house. If it’s not frozen this time of year, I try not to go back there.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Exactly. I've got a few days worth of 3 yr seasoned honey locust in the garage and a good 2 days worth of ironwood, locust, hickory, and I think a piece of beech still on the hearth.

Until then, mostly ash and elm

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.