In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Idle ramblings... wood use 20-21

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Jan 13, 2021.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

As I was rearranging some wood this morning, I tried to count up the amount of wood used. Maybe a cord. Including the lead in shoulder season.

I was moving some black locust to a different rack, making an empty rack to stack on. Consolidated the BL with some 3+yr red oak.

I've been waiting for it to get cold, before burning the BL. It was in the 70's this time, last year. Most every day recently, in the 40's. A few nights in the single digits, and the BL gets used!

Like last year, no snow on the ground. Makes one wonder. No complaints. But, I do like the change of seasons, and miss the snow. Not missing ice, though. I feel bad for people with winter "toys" that need to chase the snow to use them. Not me!

I expect to have more shoulder wood for next year. No complaints using the red oak, though.

I know i have other ramblings... I'm sure they'll fall out, in time.

EODMSgt, buZZsaw BRAD, JDU and 15 others like this.
  2. rainking63

rainking63

I enjoyed your ramblings. I think around this time of year most of us consider outdoor temps and the remainder of the burnable wood we have left in the shed / stack.

Screwloose, mat60, M2theB and 9 others like this.
  3. Chud

Chud

The amount of wood in the rack outside my front door let’s me know how far away spring is. About a cord left before the tree frogs start their noisy love making party. Sixty degrees today, so maybe sooner.

Screwloose, mat60, M2theB and 6 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Hang in there Mike. It may still happen. I remember a winter back in 1967 when we just did not get much snow at all...until that day; January 26 and we got buried then it stayed a long time.

5. Horkn

Horkn

Like you, I see that I need more and more shoulder season wood, or just less of the high BTU stuff.

I just keep pushing the really good stuff to the next year's stash.

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Approached near 50 today and should hit that tomorrow in my neck of the woods. Overnight lows are still below freezing though. I've been burning about 80% shagbark hickory so my inside temps are above 75. It's been nice, I have to admit. After I get through all the shaggy, it's primarily red oak with a mulberry tree in there somewhere. I really have no plan for shoulder wood. If it presents itself, I may get some, but I'm swamped in the good stuff.
    I haven't really used much wood at all so far. It'll be very interesting to see the final tally.

I don't miss the white stuff tremendously. It's nice to have it once or twice a season, but the aftermess and what the salt/pre-treat does to our vehicles really sucks. For that reason, I wouldn't mind moving south a bit.

7. Biddleman

Biddleman

Like many, Im burning less firewood so far this winter. Combo of temps and some really dry wood. Like The Wood Wolverine said, it's still below freezing at night in our area, so my stove is chugging along since it's my primary heat source.
    Probably be cutting close with SS splitd but I have a cord of shorts and uglies waiting.

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I've been mixing in Black Locust sparingly myself, mostly for the long overnight burns. I only had about a face cord of dead and dry BL ready to go this year. Mostly it's a steady supply of red oak and ash keeping the house warm with a little sugar maple thrown in. I do have some cherry I'm trying to save for the tail end of the season before we transition back into shoulder season. As my supply is slowly disappearing out of the wood shed I'm looking at which pile in the yard should take its place somewhat out of the elements. I'm leaning towards the stacks of black birch slated for next season. Most of my piles are top covered right now minus a couple cords of red oak that are slated for 2023-2024. I'll be fine for the rest of this burning season whether this temperature pattern holds, yoyos back and forth, or if we settle into a polar vortex for a while. Good to be sitting pretty.

9. Loon

Loon

:coldone:

:salute: :cheers:

The Polar Vortex now collapsing, is set to release the Arctic Hounds for the United States and Europe, as we head for the second half of Winter 2020/2021 (severe-weather.eu)

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm churning through all my oak shorts right now. Its getting cold every night, and the family is home every day because of covid, so I am running at normal consumption. If its gonna be a little warmer, I just put a half load and choke it down.

12. Screwloose

Screwloose

We've used a surprisingly small amount of wood so far, mostly ash. I wouldn't mind what snow we have disappearing as it's basically ice and a real treat to walk on.

13. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I think I have used little more wood then normal, or at least just as much as usual. I have probably burnt over a cord of wood so far. We have had a little more winter then normal or shall I say back to normal after a few warmer years.

14. JDU

JDU

Burning about the normal amount of too here in PA . Farmer's Almanac says big snow storm in mid February. Lot of wood burning time to go.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Other than the foot of snow hasnt been bad here either. At least the ground has stayed somewhat frozen which i prefer over mud. In a few years maybe all we'll need is SS wood?

16. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

We’re right at the half way point of burning season here and we’ve had a really “nice” winter. We’ve had above average temps almost every day and no sub zero cold snap in sight. Maybe through 1 1/2 cords do far.

17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Couple months ago I saw an evaluation of the farmers almanac. It showed a 50% accuracy rate.

18. tamarack

tamarack

Been a mild winter so far. Usually Oregon east of the cascades it's February that packs a punch as far as snow goes. I have a cord of black locust to mix in with the conifers, but that locust makes my 900SF house HOT real quick. So mostly been burning Lodgepole.

19. Yawner

Yawner

That's funny, I just actually pondered that a few moments ago when the almanac was mentioned, wondering how accurate it is. If they are 50%, that is the same as chance, lol.

20. Smaug

Smaug

I was talking about springtime frogs and their sounds the other day too.
    I was thinking it's only about 100 more days till is "Springtime Bird Season", when the sound of happy chirping birds and hungry little chicks all start making noise just before dawn, and I can hear them clearly since the sliding screen doors are open due to the mild nighttime temperatures.