In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Recommendations for Fiberglass entry door

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Dana B, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Dana B

Dana B

We need to replace the front entry door on our home and I know next to nothing about doors. I have been reading a little and the only thing I'm certain of at this point is that we want fiberglass. Beyond that I don't know what to look for in door or what brand to go with. I've seen much written online aboput Pella, Anderson, Masonite, Thermatrue etc etc but good and bad for all of these and other brands.

Can someone provide some ingiht into these brands and what features I should be looking for? I live in NH so winters here are brutal. Also the door will have the windows on both sides.

Thanks.

mat60, wildwest and Camber like this.
  2. Camber

Camber

I'm a general contractor by trade. All I tell my customers is that they need to insure that they come with LOW E glass, and if they should ever want a storm door to get a door that is rated for that application. I don't install metal clad doors anymore. If you get a subpar fiberglass door and install a glass storm door expect to see the trim around the glass to distort and warp. I just looked at my phone to see if I have any pictures, but must have deleted them. As for brands, I like most except for Anderson. I believe their quality has gone down hill in the last ten years. with fiberglass you can paint and repair them much easier. If you have children or basement dwelling adult children, I heavily suggest a kick plate.

mat60, Dana B and wildwest like this.
  3. Dana B

Dana B

Thanks. Are there any mid level manufacturer lines that you would recommend looking at? We don't want low end but we don't to spend the money for top of the line either.

mat60 and Camber like this.
  4. Camber

Camber

I'm sorry Dana but I don't have a mid level manufacturer in mind. Pella is pretty good. You live in a whole different country in a lot of ways. Trucking dictates a lot of what is considered expensive, verses reasonable. For instance, I can not get southern treated pine for building decks. I'm stuck with literal junk when it comes to Pressure treated lumber up here. I'd just get the door that allows for a glass storm door. If you get a primed fiberglass door you can usually DIY it. Maybe buy a cheap HVLP sprayer and mask well. OR....Roll it with a bit of flotrol mixed in with a very fine sponge roller before it is hung. Are you installing the door yourself? If not, then I would talk to the contractor first. I often will charge extra if I know the door in question is a Pain. As they say, "time is money".

mat60, brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  5. Dana B

Dana B

I have a carpenter in town who has done work for us before and he always does a god job. He said he's been installing Therma-trus in peoples homes for a while and has never had any issues. I called a local lumber yard that carries them and got a quote on their CLassic craft (high end) fiberglass door with glass and two top to bottom glass sidelites. They quoted me $6300 which is more than I'd like to spend. I was hoping I could get something for around 4K. I'll have to look at the other Therma-tru lines that aren't their premier product.

mat60 and Camber like this.
  6. Camber

Camber

Wowsers! At four grand I would build a plywood door with a murder hole in it. If you have a good carpenter that is about the best you can do. Good luck Dana.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dana B that is for a combo unit if you have a good carpenter by windows separately save 3 grand

I think Marvin is made in NH

Camber likes this.
  8. Semipro

Semipro

The FG entry doors in our house warped to the point where, though tight at the latch, the top and bottom bowed inward and did not seal well. I could not adjust the latch tightly enough to get the door to seal.
    I've replaced them with steel doors and have not had that problem recur.

eatonpcat likes this.