In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Link repairs

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Gavorosalini, Dec 27, 2020.

  1. Gavorosalini

    Gavorosalini

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2019
    Messages:
    347
    Likes Received:
    2,236
    Location:
    Hutchinson KS
    Noticed one of my chains today was missing two teeth, and thought itd be nice to be able to repair it rather than have to take it in to be repaired. Ive jad to do that already once. Do any of you replace links or teeth? If so, by hand or using a power tool? Also, do you get your replacement parts online (if so, where) or from your favorite saw shop? Thanks for all the advice.
     
  2. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,256
    Likes Received:
    54,067
    Location:
    NC
    I’ve only seen this happen on a well used chain where there isn’t much tooth left to file, so they got tossed. If you don’t have a punch and spinner, it would be cheaper to replace the chain, unless you plan to start making chains. If you start buying rolls of chain, and repairing damaged chain you’ll probably run out of links, before you finish the roll.
     
  3. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,217
    Location:
    Iowa
    If the broken teeth aren’t sequential I wouldn’t worry about them. It’s no different than a skip tooth chain. I have a couple of chains missing a tooth & they cut just fine.

    I did take a chain in to get a bent link replaced & I think I was charged $3-$4, not an astronomical amount & well worth it to me.

    Your local saw shop will likely sell you some links.

    There was a good deal going on for Tecomec spinners & breakers. I think it was Amazon

    If you buy chain on the roll it should come with connector links.

    It all depends on what breed of chain you want as to where you buy it.
    Amicks
    Jacks Small Engine
    HLSupply
    Baileys
    Local dealer
     
  4. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    So cutting a large maple trunk last year...there was a knot of barbed wire, wire staples, nails....lots 8 teeth on an 18" chain.

    For yukks, I sharpened the remaining teeth and tried it out. I really just held the saw there with one hand, watching a very small pile of dust accumulate. Not sure it cut anything really!

    I also had a chain that cojld not be sharpened more...completely worn out. Tried cutting a rock with it...didnt get too far with that either!

    Sca
     
    Lone_Gun likes this.
  5. Gavorosalini

    Gavorosalini

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2019
    Messages:
    347
    Likes Received:
    2,236
    Location:
    Hutchinson KS
    They are not sequential. Its on a low profile 3/8 pitch 10" chain. They are definitely noticeable. Its on a battery powered top handle makita. Maybe if it was on a gas saw the speed would be high enough it wouldnt be noticed. I feel battery saws dont have the speed compared to the gas. However, that sucker is light and always starts the first time, so its a decent trade off.