Son and his honey staying 2 nights at the cabin. We went up for lunch and a short visit. They're having a ball. He's knocked down the hay lawn, cleaned up a few trees, shimmed some posts under the cabin, zapped one YJ nest, fires in the pit, etc. Really good to see them enjoying the place like they do. They'd live there if work was close enough I think. Nice Jeep ride. Great weather. Perfect day.
Looks like a good time. I have done the shimming chore under my camp also. You fortunately do not have fossilized porcupine poop under your camp.
So far, porkies are leaving the cabin's wood alone while eating every piece of plywood in sight. Here's what they did to my tool building while we were getting started on the lot up there. You can see why the cabin doesn't have even one cubic inch of plywood in it. This shed is 500 feet away. I really hate porcupines...
Perhaps a lead injection. Wow, Stinny. I'd declare all-out war on those buggers. Maybe provide a sacrificial "chew pole".
"Maybe provide a sacrificial "chew pole"." ... that's kinda why I haven't torn the shed apart. It IS their chew pole. Could trap them I guess. If you're not there every night, you'll never get a chance at a shot. Once in a while, one will take a nap way up in a tree during the day. Then, that nap gets longer. Had to re-locate over a dozen in one year at our old house in central Maine. It would be lightly raining... I'd get a kick at 2 AM... "GET UP... it's another GD porky!" Go out back of the newly built garage with T-111 plywood siding... find a porky knawing away... boom... back to sleep. They kept following the last one right straight to that T-111. Hate... por q pine.
Yup, sounds like a "all night recon patrol" is in order. 2 man squad should do it, one man on the light, the other on the "pill" injector....................
I haven't even gone over to the shed this year. Don't wanna know. Next trip maybe. I'm sure they've fixed it all up...
No fishers to eat all the porkys? I haven't seen a trace of a porky at our place in VT for 20 years. They used to be hundreds of them.
Seen fisher, but no skunk, porcupine, coon, or rabbits. Also have coyotes, and bobcats. Once the goods runs out, they will cycle around.
"I haven't seen a trace of a porky at our place in VT for 20 years. They used to be hundreds of them." That's cause they all moved to my backyard in Maine...
Lots of folks in MI line the cabin with sheet metal from the bottom to about 3 or 4' up. That stops the chewing quickly.