I had a nice stash of K&H red heads in a 5 gallon bucket along with some rags and other fidley bits. Somehow a bottle of 100% deet leaked out in there also. It sat all summer. Yesterday I needed wedges and I was shocked to find that they solvent welded into a solid glob of sticky useless landfill filler. So I wanted to put it out there because I don't want anyone else to find out the hard way. It could possibly be damaging to rope also.
Very possible... Depending on what plastic the wedges where made out of. Some plastics aren't very chemical resistant.... Like Brake Clean will destroy PolyCarb .... Edit... Looked it up... Its made out of ABS. So yea not very chemical resistance. Its got better impact resistance properties...
Deet also works well to clean plastic headlights. Takes a layer of plastic right off, wipe on & wipe off.
Yeah...... a while back we machined a complicated part out of polysolfone. In getting it ready for shipment It was wiped with goof off and it promptly crazed and shattered.
Even regular strength OFF can craze temples on some glasses and sunglasses. I put a big old thumbprint in something with DeepWoods OFF once. Don't remember what the something was but I remember that thumbprint. A WTF moment for sure.
I don't think anyone ever claims entirely safe nor entirely safe for everyone. It's usually considered reasonably safe when used reasonably.
Yep, couple years ago my sister and BIL went camping. The mirror/vanity cabinet came open and a can of deet fell out into the tub. Melted a hole in tub bottom... deet melts plastic - Google Search
Like so many other products that are made to use externally care must be taken not to take them internally and this includes avoiding applying to cuts and broken skin. How many items in your medical closet are labelled: Do Not take internally. Same category of products. Human bodies aren't made of man-made polymers. Apples and oranges here.
Been doing it here for years brenn and it works great. But it leaves a light film on the lense so ya gotta wipe them often as dust has a good time with it.
Spray it on your kids then... Reasonably safe just means there's no class action law suit....yet... I didn't suggest to take it internally or put it on broken skin. YMMV