In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Off to a good start

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Dec 19, 2020.

  1. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,812
    Location:
    NJ
    I normally don’t cut much wood this time of year. Usually I’m just finishing up deliveries and then it’s hunting season, wife’s bday and Christmas. Deliveries was done early and I’ve had extra time. I also have college kids looking to make money splitting. I have about 40 cords already cut and split for next year. Logs pictured don’t represent half of what I currently have.
     

    Attached Files:

    WoodPirate, J1m, Boogeyman and 14 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,836
    Likes Received:
    114,682
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Good wood porn.

    Always nice to have inventory to make firewood out of.
     
  3. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,632
    Likes Received:
    130,546
    Location:
    Vermont
    Are college kids former students?
     
  4. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,318
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  5. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    Sorry if it’s been asked before but how does the wood do drying when it’s piled on the ground like that? It’s a lot more efficient.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,828
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Not even 2021 and youre already gettin it done. The march to 300!
     
  7. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Nice to have a head start. Do you purchase the logs and turn them into firewood or is that how you harvest them and store them where you process? Awesome looking piles! Ever have issues with the stuff near the bottom not drying? Thinking of storing in a similar way between seasons but wondered about that. Looks like a sweet operation!
     
  8. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,812
    Location:
    NJ
    Yes
     
  9. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,812
    Location:
    NJ
    With piles out in the open field running north south, it dries really well. Going on year 26 doing it like this.
     
  10. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,812
    Location:
    NJ
    That sounds like pressure. Even though I cut for about 4.5-5 hours today, I didn’t really feel like cutting. I only did it because these kids want to work which puts pressure on me to kee them busy so they stick around. I do think a poll is in order to name this years “march”.
     
  11. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,085
    Likes Received:
    42,812
    Location:
    NJ
    I get this from tree services. I do pay for some but it’s cheap and gives me a reason to turn down the monster logs. I’ve had a lot of success through the years with doing wood this way. It is good to have a nice layer of bark and splitter scraps on the ground though
     
  12. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I think I’ll give it a try. I have a good base in a large area. Just saves a lot of time not having to stack when you’re just gonna put it in a truck again to haul away. Thanks for the input:salute:
     
  13. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    March to the unprecedented!