I normally don’t cut much wood this time of year. Usually I’m just finishing up deliveries and then it’s hunting season, wife’s bday and Christmas. Deliveries was done early and I’ve had extra time. I also have college kids looking to make money splitting. I have about 40 cords already cut and split for next year. Logs pictured don’t represent half of what I currently have.
Sorry if it’s been asked before but how does the wood do drying when it’s piled on the ground like that? It’s a lot more efficient.
Nice to have a head start. Do you purchase the logs and turn them into firewood or is that how you harvest them and store them where you process? Awesome looking piles! Ever have issues with the stuff near the bottom not drying? Thinking of storing in a similar way between seasons but wondered about that. Looks like a sweet operation!
With piles out in the open field running north south, it dries really well. Going on year 26 doing it like this.
That sounds like pressure. Even though I cut for about 4.5-5 hours today, I didn’t really feel like cutting. I only did it because these kids want to work which puts pressure on me to kee them busy so they stick around. I do think a poll is in order to name this years “march”.
I get this from tree services. I do pay for some but it’s cheap and gives me a reason to turn down the monster logs. I’ve had a lot of success through the years with doing wood this way. It is good to have a nice layer of bark and splitter scraps on the ground though
I think I’ll give it a try. I have a good base in a large area. Just saves a lot of time not having to stack when you’re just gonna put it in a truck again to haul away. Thanks for the input