In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sellers, do you stack for Customers?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Nov 18, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Did a half cord delivery today. New customer from last year. She wanted it stacked which ill do for an extra $20 provided i can get the truck right to where it will be stacked. I had to wheelbarrow (brought nine with me) around through a gate, around the garage and stack in back. Charged her $30 and took an hour. Wont normally go through this much trouble but didnt wanna lose a customer. She liked my wood from last year as it was actually DRY and burned well.

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

I only deliver to 2 seniors. The has been buying since the earl 90's. His one employee and I stack in his shed about 4 steps from the truck. He buys 3-4 cord per year. The other I don't stack for because she likes to spread her money around:eek: and pays the neighbor boy to stack. I help load when someone comes to buy a bin or whatever.

Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Loon and 5 others like this.
  3. jrider

jrider

I rarely stack but when I do, I look to clear $60-$75 an hour.

4. ole

ole

Nope. But I refuse to deliver. My customers have to pick it up but I always help load it.

5. Boogeyman

Boogeyman

You brought nine wheelbarrows with you?....sorry I had to

I usually stack also when I make a delivery, I enjoy the little bit of time I get to spend with the recipient. They dont seem to mind help stacking either. I also only make a few deliveries per year though. When family comes to get some I will help them stack also. I find stacking to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the task.

6. bigfrank

bigfrank

I have a dump trailer. I charge $50 delivery within 20 miles from my house. I go farther for friends or good customers. I don't stack, just dump

Stlshrk, Screwloose, Loon and 5 others like this.
  7. Dstrick

Dstrick

Me too. I most enjoy the step in the process when a person pays for the wood and I hit the button marked “UP”.

8. Yawner

Yawner

I do stack but don't like it, lol. Around here, you're expected to stack, it seems. But I started a new rule for sales: must have a firewood rack and I must be able to pull trailer right up to it. I even bought some racks in case someone doesn't have one.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im tempted to have a couple regulars do that...get a rack. Takes too long to crib the ends. One i have to wheelbarrow it around her garage to stack. Im actually waiting on a customer to get some pallets so i can drop the wood. Should call them.

10. Yawner

Yawner

Yep, cribbing takes too long. And if it falls, they blame you. Rack is the only way to go for deliveries.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

When i sell on CL i specify that i need to back up to rack/stacking area if they wish to pay the extra $20 for stacking. Half cord that is.

12. Meche_03

Meche_03

I did years ago for my uncle when he bought straight from me. I'd over load the truck and stack in his she'd. He complained about the price and my stacking the last time.

I told him he could buy it at the weekly auction, haul it, and stack it himself. I was 16. I sold less weed for more money at the sale barn auctions. What he got as a large truck load worked out as 2 ricks/ facecords....which was 2 stacks at the auction.

My uncle talked to my dad about my response and attitude. My dad just told him that seemed fair.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I didnt realize my major typo until i reread what i wrote. My brain says one thing but my fingers type another! :picard: Dunno how i missed that as i usually proofread.

14. bushpilot

bushpilot

I suspect you aren't one who did a typo ... :emb:

:smoke:

15. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I don't sell or deliver wood, but I can't imagine stacking for free. If I were to sell I'd want cash in hand prior to dumping the load. If I were to offer stacking services, I'd want my stacking money up front also. I don't have time to chase people for money owed to me. I'd estimate how long it'd take and charge accordingly. Stacking further away/tougher stacks would cost more which is fair to both parties. If they didn't like that or refused to pay, I'd refuse to stack. I wouldn't really care, hire someone else. Finding good cordwood guys isn't exactly easy. The best of luck to those former customers. Being in business is all about offering a fair service or good for a fair price, not to get used and abused by cheapskates. It'd also be a side hustle, not my primary income, so I could be picky on who I want for customers. I'd hire a young person with a license to do the stacking while I did more important things. I'd rather sell less quantity with higher quality for more money per cord. Firewood is too much work to give away for cheap.

Just my take

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Bill2 and 6 others like this.
  16. Kimberly

Kimberly

When I helped Dad we always stacked but we had to hand unload the truck so it was no trouble to just stack it where the customer wanted it; we weren't carrying to the stacking area. I don't know if Dad charged for it or not.

Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Loon and 3 others like this.
  17. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I guess it's a matter of trust, but whenever I bought wood, they always helped me stack it, and then we measured the stack, and I paid accordingly. Or it was picked up from a stack, at which point one could see how much was gotten at time of loading the pickup, unless it was just bought by the trailer load or bucket full.

Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Loon and 4 others like this.
  18. MikeyB

MikeyB

That sounds like a great option if people are willing to come out for it. Have the face cords/cords set up in stacks and when a customer comes to pick up there is no confusion on what they are buying. I like it.

Stlshrk, Loon, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  19. farmer steve

farmer steve

Except for 2 older than me seniors, all the wood I sell is picked up here at the farm. Probably have lost some sales because I don't deliver but I figure if they really "need" it they will find a way to come and get it. Most of mine is in 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 cord stacks. I always help load.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Yawner and 5 others like this.
  20. ole

ole

I stack my for sale wood in the shed in face cord rows. Some of my customers in the past have brought their own moisture meter with them. Which is good for both parties. No surprises.
    The only wood I deliver is to my Vietnam Vet buddy living on disability. He gets a free face cord every year some years more. Everyone else must pick it up.
    Those are my rules if they want delivery there is always Craig’s list,,

Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal, Bill2 and 6 others like this.