In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black Locust Delivery

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Dec 7, 2020.

  1. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,107
    Likes Received:
    163,146
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Think they'd pay extra for pieces that include "apartment complexes" for the formerly homeless free range termites?
     
  2. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Hey, everyone deserves a fair shake, right?:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: Maybe even throw in the term “rescue” for a few bucks more!
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I still have that silver maple to get. That big azz stump cut off is there. I could throw the 36" bar on the 460 and slice some cookies off. IMG_3488.JPG

    Still have this "5 knot" BL log. IMG_3306.JPG
     
    MikeInMa, Midwinter, jo191145 and 2 others like this.
  4. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,351
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Throw a pitcher of water on that thing, snap a quick pic, throw it on marketplace, and I’ll bet you’d sell out within the day! Gold!
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,425
    Location:
    Ct
    Didnt notice before. That big stump is Ambrosia maple. That goes for big bucks to the right crowd LOL. Gotta stop it from checking IMO. I just personally don’t like checking even tho there was some edge checking in the pieces I sold.
    Let me know and I’ll drive down and pick it up someday. Although today marked the start of my next big project. Rebuilding my mothers house. I’m not seeing much free time in the future but could always skip out for a few hours.
    FWIW I think it’s better to leave it in round form for a few years. Let the stresses relieve themselves a bit. JMO

    Lord of the flies, you asked. The finish for food grade Charcuterie boards and butcher blocks is Mineral Oil. Can be bought at the big box stores or woodworking shops. Walmart sells a mineral oil for human consumption quite cheap. Oddly enough that’s not considered pure enough for butcher blocks. Designed for constipation it’s meant to go in and out rather fast. :) Not pure enough I guess.
    Most oils become rancid with time. Pure mineral oil doesn’t.
    Just recently heard of mineral oil and beeswax as a coating. Haven’t investigated that yet.
     
  6. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Wow brad those are some MONSTER rounds you got there I compared to my typical encounters). Do you noodle them or split the rou de in half before putting them into the truck? I weighed a piece of beech the other day was 127lbs or something and that was almost my upper limit.

    Nice! Thank you for clarifying that. In would imagine it's something they will have to apply in the future, especially if they wash it often. I know I am behind schedule in the maintenance of my teak cutting board.
     
    buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  7. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I have always looked at my firewood adventure as money saving. Even though I've shelled out quite a bit upfront for axes, mauls, tools, a splitters helmet, etc......

    But here's some proof right here. My usage is down roughly 33% compared to the same period last year....and this includes having 3 kids at home all day every day. We still use the electric heat at night (one of the downsides of having an open fireplace) but our daytime usage is down significantly. I've been trying to be diligent about shutting off power strips and upcs and keeping my computer off when I don't need it.

    Screenshot_20201205-125536~2.jpg
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I normally avoid BIG rounds for the logistic and "back" factor. This happened to be a customer who offered me the wood. Ill use the monster maul or sledge and wedge to chunks i can handle. Problem is they are cut longer than 16" so i have to buck when i get them home...PITA. :hair:
    Maple cookies anyone? IMG_3529.JPG
     
  9. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Ok that's what I figured. Working smarter not harder.

    I had no knowledge of the term "cookie" until this thread. Sigh.....

    It's the coldest it's been right now - 8am and 31....went outside to dispose of coals/ash and man it was brisk. Excited about the rest of the norway maple today. My neighbor who traded me the Stihl 928 is helping me load the beech into the truck. Very nice of him to offer to help.
     
    Midwinter, Haftacut and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    No worries. A lot of the terminology used on here was foreign to me as well when i joined a couple years ago. Hang around long enough and you'll be speaking the language in no time. Cookies, noodles, shoulder season are the ones that come to mind. What to you do with you cookies/scraps now?
    Curbside donation?
     
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Have you considered getting an insert? When i owned my house we burned open fireplace for a couple Winters until i got the insert. WORLD of difference in heat output and wood usage/rate of burn. In fact the furnace was only turned on to heat the house when the fire was only let out to clean ashes.
     
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Midwinter, EODMSgt, Haftacut and 2 others like this.
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,107
    Likes Received:
    163,146
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Troof!
     
  13. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I collect cutoffs/cookies and then split them into jagged chunks and out them in 44 gallon bins. Currently I have 3 bins full and no more bins for the aforepictured bl cookies.

    I have considered a stove but I need to get a permit for that and right now the funds are not there. I may be lucky and get free wood delivered to my house...but I've gotten several quotes for an insert in the $6k area. My good buddy who lives 20 miles away also paid $6k for an insert. .

    I've posted a few videos of my setup. With the ecofan and the grate wall of fire...I get some serious heat output on the first floor. I got it up to 83.1 the other day...which was actually too hot. Hahahaha.

    75-80 is the normal range. For reference I set the minisplits to 67 at night.

    I do realize it's more efficient burning. I get it but at this price point, the price negates the efficiency aspect. I love an open hearth and for the $$$ I spent ($381 for the grate, $225 for the enclosure, $80 for the ecofan) I think I'm getting some serious bang for the buck.

    Plus, I talk about being efficient all the time....but I am totally ok with using more wood than a stove/insert because that keeps me outside and gives me a great workout. Plus I love scrounging too.
     
    Midwinter and Haftacut like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    :faint:

    Holy chit! I think i paid $2600 installed for mine but this was in 2001. Bought at the Big E and the guy drove nearly three hours to install it. For that kinda money stick with your current set up and keep hoarding.:tree: From the looks of things your not about to run out of wood! :stack::stack::stack::stack:
     
  15. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,107
    Likes Received:
    163,146
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You said you have to get a permit...are you allowed to DIY it then? An insert is not a bad DIY project, especially for someone that is at least somewhat handy, and it seems you are (lots of members here have installed theirs, with help from the forum, and youtube) as long as you don't need something top of the line fancy, a quality workhorse insert (Drolet would be at the top of my list...actually have one in my FP) could be installed for $2k, or under, with an insulated liner included.
     
  16. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I would but the pitch of my roof is 12/12. So a straight 45 and very steep. I'll do a lot of things but getting up on that part is not one of them.

    If I were to do it in the basement I could theoretically run a new chimney external to the house.....

    But I don't have but the interior stairs to the basement and if I had a stove down there I think maybe I'd have to put in a secondary exit but also just to get the wood down there would be very difficult. All I have are these very short but wide casement windows.

    For now I'm ok with what I got and will do my best with it. If I hit the jackpot, then I'll consider other options but I really am enjoying the fact that I can finally enjoy the wood after waiting a year!

    I'm burning spruce, pine, juniper, black locust, and some maple that has gotten under 20%. The oak I have won't be ready till next year and the pin oak maybe not till 2022. I've still got beech, poplar, norway, sugar, red, cottonwood, black birch, black oak, and white oak to look forward to in the years to come. I'm picking up 2 more ibc totes so now I will have 1.33 cords dry and ready to go in front of the house....and that frees up half a stack so I can replenish my stock!
     
    Midwinter likes this.
  17. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Yep, I should be good for a while! But now it's turning into more of a excercise/healthy living thing. I just love being outside as opposed to glued to the computer and the muscle mass I'm putting on is ridiculous fellow hand splitter!
     
    Midwinter and brenndatomu like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,826
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
     
    LordOfTheFlies and brenndatomu like this.
  19. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,107
    Likes Received:
    163,146
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Here is a good kit...there are a few people here that have these. The only thing would be to add insulation on the liner.
    That roof does sound sketchy...might could hire a chimney sweep to drop the liner in.
    As far as the basement...I've seen some really creative ideas for loading wood into the basement...everything from plastic kids slides through the window, to using a treadmill the same way...basically a conveyor.
    DROLET - ESCAPE 1800 WOOD INSERT TRIO (25')

     
    LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  20. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Hahaha nice!

    I had to move some 2x4x12 inside and via the casement windows was the easiest way.....but it was still a little annoying. My windows would barely be high enough just for the treadmill and not high enough for a piece of wood on top of the treadmill but yes that is a pretty ingenious method of getting wood inside a basement hahahahaha.

    The kit looks nice....the other issue is that my mantle/surround is too thick, too low, and my tiles would need to be dug up, the flooring would need to be cut back, and the tile area would need to be extended both in depth and in width. I could do all that work no problem.....but right now I am really enjoying the open hearth.
     
    brenndatomu likes this.