In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sled ideas

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sinngetreu, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Winter is coming (DUH) and I want to build a sled to pull behind my snow machine to pull logs to my work area from the woods. I'm thinking of a toboggan style sled, but I need some ideas. I want it to be cheap and easy to pull that can haul a fair amount. Probably wont need to pull logs longer than 32" with an average size probably around 12" diameter or so. Terrain will be variable but not too rocky with no steep hills. Also would probably use it to clean trees up so I will want to pull twigs, branches, etc also. What are your thoughts?

2. Horkn

Horkn

Ok. You're in the contiguous states. It's a snowmobile.;)

How about an old compact car hood? Our an old jet ski hill, or anything like that.

I use a jet sled with a rigid tow bar. It works great

3. Rope

Rope

4. Yawner

Yawner

You might also consider dragging entire trees out. I have seen people put a bonnet or skid hood or whatever you call it on the forward end.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

You should watch the YouTuber “The Outsider” he’s building a cabin in Canada with his father. Makes a lot of snowmobile items like a tiny house to camp in with heat, an equipment sleigh, etc. All out of rough sawn boards they mill on site.

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I know a lot of people just make their own however I ended up purchasing a couple sleds over the years. I have a smaller Viking Sport Sled (54x25x10) that I either pull by hand (I've pulled it many times while wearing snowshoes) or I use a Shappell Jet Sled hitch when towing with the snowmobile or ATV (pic 1). For the larger loads, I use an Otter Magnum sled (74x38x14) with the tow hitch (pic 2). These are nice because they can be used for a lot of different applications. For example, I use the smaller sled to haul wild game out of the woods (they actually showed the larger Otter sled being used by the NH Fish and Game to move a tranquilized moose in a recent episode of Northwoods Law).

Attached Files:

7. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

This is an awesome question because i was just gifted a snowmobile and im really excited to gather wood this winter.

8. Warner

Warner

Wasn’t there a guy on here that attaches little skis to logs to haul them out of the woods? I remember seeing it somewhere on here.

9. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

I used a rounded bottom plastic barrel. Cut a four inch circle hole dead center in the bottom. Ran a chain from the tow vehicle through the bottom of the barrel, then attach to the log. The barrel opening (top) facing the log. As you tow, the log will pull into the barrel and away you go with little resistance. Obviously it's best to get the log out of the dirt as much as possible. There seems to be a good number of log arches on the internet depending on your budget. I have seen videos of homemade log arches too.

10. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Homemade skidder cone, nice!

If I'm moving smaller logs and can get the nose off the ground I don't bother however if not, the skidder cone usually goes on.

Attached Files:

11. Stinny

Stinny

Probably me... but it doesn't look as though Sinngetreu is going to be hauling long logs, but rounds cut to 32" max? I guess the easiest sled would be a large Jet Sled. They work great and are just about bullet proof.

Here's the ski set-up I used on the rear, with a Jet Sled on the nose (back of it is cut off and a 3/4" plywood floor is bolted down inside, to allow heavy logs to be tied down)... slides along easily...

upload_2020-11-29_8-41-32.png

12. Warner

Warner

Yup that’s it!

13. Horkn

Horkn

First, you'll need to add a hitch to that Panther, if it doesn't have one already. then you'll need a rigid style to hitch. The one I have is an Otter sled, but there's Jet, and possibly other brands. Pay attention to the hitch style. Some kinds will rattle and annoy the hell out of you when you are riding around when there's nothing being hauled by the hitch. My old Panther had the factory hitch and it sounded like a bell while riding.:hair:

This is the easiest way with a snowmobile.

I'll post up my rig later. It's behind an ATV, but same dealio.

14. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Perhaps I have been binge watching a little too much "Life below Zero" lately.

15. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I have thought about taking some sheet metal and making a piece. I think an old hood off of a Chevy Corsica would work good.

brenndatomu, Horkn, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  16. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I'll definitely check that out. I love stuff like that.

17. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I've seen those and I like them, but money is always an issue. Even if I have some, it tends to need to go to something else.
    Here is a screen shot of the inspiration for this post.

upload_2020-11-29_11-41-7.png

eatonpcat, brenndatomu, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  18. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I do have a couple cross country skis. I could maybe do something like that in the mean time for longer stuff.

19. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I like the concept. I will have to keep this in mind. I never thought of that but it makes sense.

20. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I like this idea. I looked at similar things where the people wanted a ton of money for it, but this seems do-able for longer stuff. I'm certainly not going to rule that out.

brenndatomu, Horkn, Stinny and 2 others like this.