In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gravely Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Born2Burn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Anyone here play with old Gravely walk behinds? I contracted the disease this summer G.A.S. (Gravely Acquisition Syndrome). Love these old pressure lubricated units for 2 reasons - 1. They're super cool antique toys that have a plethora of parts still available and are simple to work on. Sort of like an old car. 2. They are incredibly useful for certain tasks around the estate, in fact there are some tasks that modern equipment can't even try to complete with!

My poor wife has to put up with all this junk... 1 turned into 4 real quick

Attached Files:

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Its been a few decades since I've operated a gravely walk behind. Early 80's (81) was the final time. Man, did that mower have the power!

Also, had a sickly bar mower back in the 60's, but I'm sure that it was not a gravely.

3. Maina

Maina

Amazing little work horses! Looks like you got it pretty bad :rofl: :lol:

4. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

You have a good memory! These machines are low rpm gear driven torque monsters. An old timer I bought one off of put it right: "You can't kill a Gravely, it will kill you first". Similar to a chainsaw, these machines require constant mind on task so that you don't enter up in the ER or worse... Pre OSHA makes for fun! I've been pinned against a tree (no injuries luckily) and drug around the yard a few times.

5. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Yeah.... unfortunately I don't have the garage space to accommodate so I intend to sell 3 of them and keep just 1 solid unit. That's the plan atleast. Many guys will hoard them and leave them sit outside but to me that's just wrong. Machinery needs to be under roof or better yet indoors or it's abuse

6. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Whats not shown is even worse.....

With these I have 2 30" brush decks, 1 40" brush deck, 2 riding sulkys, 2 rotary plows, a Tiller, 2 cultivators, a snow cannon, 2 sickle bars, that plow blade, a riding roller..... I think that's it haha

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

They also make an awesome plume of snow

:thumbs:

8. lukem

lukem

I have another I'll sell you if you still got the itch. I think it is a 70's model with finish mower, tiller, rotary plow, and sulky.

amateur cutter, Horkn, Maina and 4 others like this.
  9. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Oh jeez... where are you located? Interested in any sort of finish mower. Any idea what the width is?

10. boettg33

boettg33

My dad and uncle had a Gravely that we used to move the roads at our nursery as a kid. It was one of the first jobs where I got to run one of the machines. That Gravely would eat through just about anything on the nursery. Including good-sized rocks. It did a great job. Not fast mind you. Downright durable.

My dad had the snowblower attachment for it. Though he only used it one year that I can recall. He didn't have it for the blizzard of 78. I think he got it the year after.

I'll ask my cousin Brian if he recalls any information on it. Unfortunately, it sat in our backyard and went to hell. I don't recall where it went to.

About 10 years ago, I looked into getting a new Gravely, PRO QXT. They have the same concept per se. The head power unit with a bunch of attachments, but it's downright expensive. The cost at the time was somewhere around $5500. Today it's $6500. With attachments running between $1000-2500. You are talking about one very expensive unit when it's all said and done. Still love the versatility though. Nothing like having one unit that does your finish mowing, brush hog, snow blower, aerator, dethatcher, driveway brush, and more.

amateur cutter, Horkn, Maina and 3 others like this.
  11. lukem

lukem

I'm in west central IN...probably a good 7 hour drive. The finish mower is 40".

12. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

I do appreciate the offer, but that's just too far of a drive to justify. I certainly don't need another tractor, but the 40" deck is what I'm really looking to buy.

Put them up for sale - still lots of interest these days

amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  13. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Sounds like some good reminiscing of the good 'ol days.

Honestly, I don't see the point in buying a newer unit. The old ones can be had for cheap and will do just as much just as good. The newer ones are safer yes, I like to live dangerously.

My uncle has a late 2000's Pro-8 walk behind with the kolher engine. VERY nice unit but it sits most, if not all of the time. 95% of his runtime he spends on his 1972 super convertible. And let me tell you, he runs this unit alot. With the quarantine, I bet he has 50-60+ hours just from this fall clearing brush. He regularly trims a few hundred yards of grass under pines throughout the mowing season. Repairs? Oil/filter/air filter yearly. That's it.

Point being - even for 50 year old machines, they are downright useful, reliable, and a real pleasure to operate.

amateur cutter, Horkn, Maina and 2 others like this.
  14. Ron T

Ron T

Ohhhhhh boy. I'm not too awful far from Youngstown. What are you looking to sell?

15. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Evening Ron! Actually I have lots to sell! I have a 1962 L, a 1964 L8, and a 1972 C8 that I need to sell. These three units are not complete - but they are not junk either. All have been stored inside most, of not all of their lives. Each could be made a solid running machine, or they could be combined to make 1 good unit.

I also have a snow blower, a rotary plow, a 40" mower deck ( deck itself is in poor condition but has usable parts), a pull behind roller with seat, a sickle bar (along with a parts sickle bar), a good 30" mower deck, a blade, and I think that's it.

I'd prefer to sell as a lot of possible!

amateur cutter, Horkn, Maina and 2 others like this.
  16. Ron T

Ron T

I'd be interested in a runner. The boss would come apart if I put the whole lot in the garage.

amateur cutter, Horkn and Maina like this.
  17. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I could really use one of these with a sickle mower for hay in smaller plots.

18. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Man is that tempting. That’s only about 2 or 3 hr drive for me.

19. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have one that I have let get in bad shape. I have thought about getting it running again. It has a starter motor but the rims have rusted away on me. I have the sickle bar and a mower deck for it. I parked it out in the rain which isn't good for equipment. Long story on that.

Horkn likes this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

I've been looking into these as a cheap but reliable way to brush hog/ sickle bar now the trails at birth my buddy's 24 acres and for the hunting lot up at the cottage.

I'm not certain if the sickle bar or the 30" brush hog would be better for grass and maybe 1/2" woody brush.

Add a sulky with a beer holder and I could see this as a viable trail maintenance machine. Fur not much $$

eatonpcat and amateur cutter like this.