My well is 260 feet deep and uses a submerged pump. Long story short the foot valve has failed. I am wondering if I can forgo pulling the pump and instead use an inline backflow valve before the pressure switch to keep the pump from short cycling. As it is now I manually turn the pump on when I need it and then turn it off when I am done using water.
I would be concerned about losing the prime to the pump or having a long run time before water is available-260' is a long wait for water to come up, no? Sounds like it would be a quick/temporary fix if it worked. But then I get to thinking...why isn't it done that way right off the get go?
You also very well could have a hole in the pipe between the pump and the cap. I've seen it before with galvinized iron pipe. With a hole in the pipe you will always be losing pressure and wasting energy to pump. Either way, pull and fix. I won't use iron pipe now that I've done a few with the coiled black plastic (PE) pipe.
Yes you can do it that way. I would say that you need to bite the bullet though and pull it. Does your well have a pitless adapter? If so it should be an easier pull. My well is 287' but my pump is sitting @ 123'. Last year I had a backflow valve just below the pressure switch and a foot valve. We pulled the pump to install the pitless adapter and discovered that the foot valve was being held open by a chunk of gravel. Needless to say, I would have been SOL w/o the back flow valve. Not sure how long your pump has been down but mine was there for about 17 years. Although not leaking, I changed all of the poly pipe, wiring and torque arrestor in the hole. Wasn't many $$$$$ and I figured it was a good time to do it while I had it up. A little PM goes a long way. Would not want to have to do it in the winter.
The pump is relatively new it was replaced 4 years ago. When I turn the pump on I have water in seconds and 50lbs of pressure in under a minute the pressure tank is 35 gallons and is filled in about 4 minutes. The reason I was going to try this is because of the cost. Anyone know how hard it is to pull the pump my self? I found the foot valve and it only cost 15.00.
If it's not too big a deal with the way your well piping is laid out in the basement, I'd still try the inline flow valve and see if it does the trick. It worked for Rotti. Then, if it works OK, remember to replace the foot valve if/when you have to pull the pump years later. As mentioned, if you have a pitless adaptor and can get the "T" handle needed to pull the line and the pump now, some rental places have the electric puller to help with the job (they might have the handle too). It usually can be done with 2-3 guys easily too, as long as the pump isn't down super deep. I'm assuming your line is the black plastic piping down in the well. Someone mentioned iron pipe. That would be a pain for sure, doing it yourself. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Common sense has prevailed in this case (my wife called a pump company to come out) . I'll have more to follow once I get the professional opinion.
Ugh, the well guys just left. New pump, 260,feet of pipe, and 1800.00 later the water is back on. After spending 3 days with limited water and 3 daughters and. Wife I am glad to have been able to pay for this. Thank you wood heat
So what was the problem? Obviously replacing everything will fix it but surely they diagnosed the symptoms? Dang I've got a flat tire, get a new car.
Easy there Highbeam! I think that as long as the well was pulled, you would want to replace it with new piping and pump, no? Kinda like the "ounce of prevention" saying? As bad as it sounds in dollars, just have to bite it and view it as insurance I guess.
I'm thinkin, if I had 4 ladies in the house and no water... I'd prolly do the same thing. At least, in another 4-5 years, if the system has a hiccup again, he won't have to hear... "I told you not to try and fix it yourself, I told you to get a pump company to do it"... he can just grin... Priceless.
The problem was a bad pump. I thought the pump was replaced a few years ago but my mom informed me that only the pressure tank and inside controls were replaced at that time. The last time the pump was replaced was in 1983. So I will stop whining, that pump lasted 31 years so I think it lived its life.
Mine went out 2-3yrs ago.. Took a shower went to town for a few groceries, came back and the GF asked if I had a good shower? Then informed me we had no water. I called a few well guys and got a contact - nice older gentleman and his wife came out. He had a derrick rig on the back of an F450, pulled the cap with it and then used an old wheel on a stand. Buddy of mine came over to help and learn from the process. We had it done in a couple hours. Mine was an open feeder cable down hole worn from years of twisting. He had everything on the truck: new pump, cable, anti-rotation fitting, and poly rope. Same deal - pump was a 1984 date code and was still good, bearings a bit worn/sloppy impeller etc, so I just put a new one in. I got out for under $800 -and learned something in the process.