In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Taking back the wood yard

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Nov 4, 2020.

  1. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    My wood processing yard, that I extended a few months ago is getting too crowded. Between logs, rounds, cages, I'm running out of room. Today I was off due to having to provide a negative test result for work. So I took advantage of the nice weather. I'm fresh out of vacancy for IBC cages, so the splits will be waiting on the ground for one to open up. Yard when it was first extended and clear

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I started out splitting the last of the Black Locust rounds I had. Some of these were Biggins. In the range of 26-28" diameter. Many had to be hand halved, some with wedges.

    [​IMG]

    Should have enough to fill two 330 gallon totes. Ended up with 4 fairly level buckets

    [​IMG]

    I then moved on to some Black Birch rounds. These rounds were much smaller than the Black Locust. Most in the 3-12" range

    Should have enough for one cage. One overly full bucket

    [​IMG]

    I finished off with some EWP logs. These felt light as paper after handling the BL and BB. Again, enough to fill one cage. Two fairly level buckets

    [​IMG]

    Closest to the camera you'll see the EWP, then the BB, and furthest away the BL.

    [​IMG]

    At least now I have a little more breathing room
     
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,452
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Looks like you've got it under control.:)
     
  3. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Nice feeling to get stuff organized.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Midwinter like this.
  4. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Ended up with a second wind. After getting stuck in the house listening to Dave Ramsey's Money University, I was able to escape, and split some Red Oak. I informed the wife it wouldn't cost us any money.

    This was from the huge takedown at my SIL's. Approx. 4 full cords of Red Oak rounds sitting in the yard

    Absolutely massive Red Oak takedown

    Only spend maybe 30 minutes out there. Topped off the first row and started a new one.

    [​IMG]
     
  5. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,648
    Likes Received:
    39,072
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    and next to impossible too.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::thumbs::thumbs:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,088
    Likes Received:
    42,842
    Location:
    NJ
    Always a good feeling to tidy up the wood yard
     
    Backwoods Savage and MaineMtnMan like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,741
    Likes Received:
    214,857
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Looks good SBA! Wish i had half that much room
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.