In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The MOTHERLOAD of Ash

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Oct 17, 2020.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Ok well my tree guy came through and came through in a BIG way. I'm talking to you Eckie! :p

I just got THE MOTHERLOAD of red ash. Bucked to 16"-18", almost no rotten pieces, all rounds about 12"-20" in diameter or so, a few 4"-6" limbs, but just the most amazing red ash. It smells quite different compared to the previous load of white ash, more pungent, more pronounced, but not in-your-face pungent....

I love it.

I'm buying him a Logrite 30" hookaroon as a thank you for taking the extra effort to buck to 16". No shorties and folks I'm going to be busy splittin' with the ol' Fiskars x27 for the foreseeable future.

One and a half truckloads......

upload_2020-10-17_18-18-14.png

2020-10-17 15.59.14.jpg

The giveaway/reject pile is on the left below. I put the new red ash limbs there because I need to chainsaw some of them down a bit. Those were the only ones that were a bit too long ~20".

2020-10-17 16.10.35.jpg

2020-10-17 16.10.40.jpg

2020-10-17 16.10.47.jpg

Split a few rounds and just love it.

2020-10-17 15.32.51.jpg
    2020-10-17 15.36.01.jpg

For reference this was the previous load of white ash delivered Oct-7-2020 that was all processed minus a few pieces headed to the dump.

[​IMG]

Dazza95, Mag Craft, mat60 and 29 others like this.
  2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Looks like your running out of room. How big is your lot? You should buy a big acreage place upstate. The kids would love it, a couple horses, a tractor, acres of forest, :tractor: No more annoying neighbors or zoning and code enforcement officers visiting. Money comes and goes, but memories are forever

3. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

.55 acres. I still have room for at least 5 more stacks if I try real hard.........but I just built one more for the time being. I have a neighbor coming tomorrow at 10am to split and take some from the reject pile and I will start on the "main" pile. It would be nice to buy something but unless I win the lotto, it ain't happening anytime soon.

Some random lady drove up and asked if I sell firewood. I replied with "Hi, nice to meet you to. What are you burning? Fireplace? Firepit?" and she said "Firepit". So I gave her a 44 gallon full of cutoffs for free. She insisted on paying me and I insisted that she was helping me by taking it and that I didn't want anything for it.

She had her son with her and she asked how old my kids are and I said to the son "I feel like I shouldn't respond to this question...." and he was like "Yeah, she's unrelenting..."

So I guess the kids are going to get some presents soon.......

mat60, Chaz, metalcuttr and 10 others like this.
  4. Locust Post

Locust Post

First time I ever heard of red ash, but you have a nice pile to work on.

5. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

First time for me too. There is a distinct red tone to the round on the sapwood and then it gets darker towards the center.

Red Ash - Fraxinus pennsylvanica | The Arboretum

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wow, can't beat this deal with a stick! :thumbs:
    Red ash...:whistle:
    upload_2020-10-17_19-7-53.jpeg

7. Eckie

Eckie

That's awesome LordOfTheFlies! I'm glad he wasn't just teasing you with the pics, that's some great wood. I'm not familiar with red ash, don't think we have it around here. You've got some work to do, at least it's easy working wood!

8. Horkn

Horkn

I've never heard of red ash either.

Great score though!

Instead of taking any irregular pieces to the dump, how about burning them in a fire pit to stay warm outside or give more away on FBM or CL?

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Holy crap! Those NY tree service guys are amazing. Who was that fellow on LI last fall that kept getting those massive deliveries of oak, and has his lot about a yard deep in wood chips?
    I'm seriously envious of that pile of red ash, it's beautiful!

10. Skier76

Skier76

That is awesome! Cut and delivered! Ash is a nice easy splitting wood to. That'll be fun pile to process.

11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I would rather not spend time processing the crappy pieces if I don't have to. That said, if someone wants them, they can have them. I have a few neighbors that take them. Also I give away the cutoffs for fire pit burners that come up asking if I sell wood. I have plenty of cutoffs for myself already and I don't burn outside too often, just when I'm splitting in winter heh heh. I'm gonna start a fire pit today though. It's 40 degrees and just a beautiful day to split wood!!

Speaking of wood chips the same guy delivered an entire truckload of wood chips a month or so ago and I still have half the pile left. It made for some nice cushioning when he dropped off the ash!

IMG_20201018_090917.jpg

12. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't either....until yesterday! So cool to be learning, smelling, and splitting all these new woods. I never smelled maple, black birch, juniper, white and red ash, and didn't even know what (GASP!) black locust was - thought it was a thorny weed (which it kind of is). buZZsaw BRAD can you imagine!!

Looking forward to burning all this wood now.

13. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Look at these rounds. Perfectly bucked. Don't have to do anything but line 'em up and split!

IMG_20201018_093355.jpg

14. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

A few beautiful rounds of norway maple are in the load as well.

IMG_20201018_095451.jpg

15. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The gift that keeps giving!

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

That is just an excellent score LordOfTheFlies ! I'm betting the tree guy will like the Log Rite cant hook too. They really did a nice job on those rounds as well.
    If I can suggest, get him the 48" handle cant hook, they will roll some good size logs & are very durable.

mat60, Horkn, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  18. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Thanks! I asked him if he wanted the longer one and he said no. I've seen him firsthand up in the bucket truck and if he needs to reach something he uses a super long pole saw. I take off the stock grip and replace it with a Head XtremeSoft tennis grip. I use those same grips for my stickball bats. :thumbs:

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

It was mikeward, are you still taking oak deliveries?

mat60, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  20. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Started at 8am today and didn't stop until about 4pm. Had a german guy come over who built these crazy awesome fireplaces back in the old country. I gave him the ol' split-it-and-you-can-take-whatever-you-can-fit-in-your-vehicle deal........He suggested that I give classes on how to process firewood. I laughed and said "Dude, I've only been doing this for a year! I'm still a student!" But it was a fun time and judging by the way he stacked it into his Wrangler I'd say this guy is very precise and would build a beautiful Holz Hausen that would put mine to shame!

Have another neighbor coming over tomorrow to take some from the donation pile. Made some great progress today and used the firepit to burn some pieces where I saw some grubs. I don't think it was EAB because these were in the heartwood. EAB grubs stay between the sapwood and the bark, n'est-ce pas? Absolutely love splitting wood and smelling the firepit. So satisfying.

Built up the new red ash stack pretty much from scratch. At the very bottom I had started the ring with that stinky elm and chucked the pieces of beech in there as well...But it's 99% red ash. I can't bear to throw these perfectly straight rounds into the center but I won't have any choice. The second pile is at "full" height at 6'. That one is mostly white ash with some of the black oak I just got and some elm as well.

2020-10-18 18.11.59.jpg 2020-10-18 18.12.07.jpg 2020-10-18 18.12.13.jpg 2020-10-18 18.12.46.jpg

On a side note my 12 year old daughter made eclaires today for the first time. They were absoluly delicious!

2020-10-18 16.49.28.jpg

mat60, eatonpcat, Chaz and 6 others like this.