It actually won’t be that secret or covert!!! Lol I did notice on the way up there I saw a partially downed Black Locust in the far end of a parking lot close to/almost abutting the highway. May have to take a closer looksie. Hope there’s room on the trailer
Well, I wont be getting the rest of the Locust tomorrow after all........ Cause I got it today!!! In speaking to the owner, I asked if it was raining there. No he said, but he did mention another guy had called. Said it was a CT phone number, and the guy could be heard literally drooling when the words Black Locust were mentioned. Also said his 460 Stihl was fresh outta the shop and rearin' to cut.... I said wait a minute....CT number.....drooling over Black Locust.....460 Stihl fresh outta shop. This can only mean one thing. The Locust Hound is on the scent. I knew at that moment my choices were limited. I braved the rain and made the drive back to Springfield. Let me tell you...it started pouring and continued the whole way there. I got there and started with the remainder of the trunk. I thought it was 5'-6'. It was actually around 11'. I got 6 nice 20" long rounds of of it. After that I took down the Apple tree. No good pics of that. It was pouring at this point. Then I took the rest of the smaller diameter stuff he had set aside. There was also a mystery piece of wood from his neighbor. I think its Mulberry. I decided against cutting the other Locust branch. Looking it over again, it had a significant lean over his chain link fence, and the abutting 4 lane road. I debated roping it, but his ladder only went up 24' and I really didn't want to risk it hitting traffic in the rain. I decided to leave it be. He did say if I ever want that tree its mine. The whole tree is pretty good sized. Three sections ranging from 14" diameter to about 24" diameter. Its all of 80' tall. At least 1.5-1.75 cords. Maybe some other time. Anyways.... I got the trailer loaded up and headed home. The mystery wood I think is Mulberry
The rounds I cut were of good size. Averaging about 24" diameter. The smaller diameter stuff The Locust pile to be split. To the right you can see the Apple rounds My processing area is getting full. About 1.25 cord of Locust to split, a little bit of Apple, about 1/6th of a cord of Black Birch, and about 4 cords of Red Oak.
Thats the hoarding spirit! No round left behind is our motto! Hard to call a BL trunk round sometimes. Some bizarre shapes! That guy with the 460 sounds familiar!