In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MTD Log Splitter

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Shurdel, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Shurdel

Shurdel

I'm looking to get a used log splitter and found a MTD 20 ton. Do you all know if MTD is still made or have they been rebranded? Where were they sold? Are they a decent Splitter? The one I found is $675
    Thanks!

2. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

For a few hundred more, you could buy a new one.

3. Casper

Casper

I might be wrong, but Black Friday at TSC seems to offer theirs at 700'ish.

I have a 1992 White (MTD), 22 ton.

20200910_145256.jpg
    I made a somewhat of a cluster, push-through beam for it. Need to work out a few kinks (literally) but I am sold on the push-through design.
    20201006_170557.jpg 20201006_181032.jpg

That said, mine, in factory configuration, has been bullet proof. I had a buddy drop a log on the original Briggs IC motor while helping me about 8 years ago. Since I was in a hurry to stay splitting, I bought a Honda GX200 that day and continued splitting. I still have the Briggs, just need to replace the intake that took the brunt of the impact.

The pump, valve and cylinder still have enough power to mess up a poorly thought out wedge design.:picard:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  4. Shurdel

Shurdel

I have thought about that. I've heard they go on sale for around $800. I may wait till then and see what they get down to.
    Thanks!

5. fox9988

fox9988

I bought a used 27 ton MTD 5-6 years ago. It’s been flawless.

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We bought at Quality Farm and Fleet sometime in late 80's. Tractor supply bought them out and I haven't seen an MTD for sale since but I think they just changed the name then to Huskee but am not sure about that.

The splitter has been all I ever wanted and has served us very well. Splitting well over 300 cord of wood with it I think we've got our money's worth. I would highly recommend it but at a bit lower price. With them no longer on the market that should help you negotiate a lower price. The only suggestion I would make if you buy is to replace that stand before you pinch your fingers! You can see the difference in pictures 2 and 3. It took me twice pinching before I fixed it right. Some learn slow.

Btw, 20 ton is just about ideal and the speed is just fine. Also with the little 5 hp engine, it does not suck much gas. Also, I normally run the engine at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle unless splitting some tough stuff.
    I did post a video recently of it splitting some elm. If you wish to see it and can't find it just let me know.

Finished 3-20-06.JPG Splitter-3.JPG Splitting 2019.JPG

7. Backwoods Savage

btw, thewoodlands also has this splitter. I also forgot to state I bought this splitter for $750 or $800; don't remember for sure but I did negotiate a lower price than what was asked on sale.

8. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

I was thinking I paid $799 or $899 for mine a few years ago. They also knocked off $50 or $100 because it wasn’t assembled. Edit: mine is a county line 27 ton.

9. tree killer

tree killer

MTD is a parent company that builds (or subs out the production) of multiple lines. Cub Cadet and Troy built are the big names, Colombia, Remington, Yard Machine and Craftsman are well known names. In the past White and Bolens were acquired and produced by MTD. Just a conglomerate company name basically, very little was branded MTD.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We have the same 20 ton MTD splitter that Backwoods Savage has, it has been a good splitter but needs a new gas tank. I've never had any problems with it until the tank developed a leak if you fill it past half full.

Our American CLS is a better splitter but when heading up some of the hills we have, I pull the MTD. I would still buy the MTD today if I had a chance, I've used it splitting Beech and Sugar Maple and didn't have any problems.

11. Backwoods Savage

Correct.

12. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Those style MTDs are quality. That push plate/wedge style... I think it’s superior to the channel design on a lot of new splitters. Iron and Oak (Brave) use a similar design on all of their splitters and they’re considered to be one of the best.

The asking price seems high, yes.

13. Horkn

Horkn

We've got a very similar MTD splitter that Dennis has, except the engine is a vertical briggs one. It's 20 or 21 ton. It splits everything. Aside from the pull cord handle breaking a couple years ago, it's been pull and go. I think it's a couple years newer than Dennis' MTD, but very similar.

I too say that 675 is too much, but everyone lists used splitters at prices that don't reflect used equipment costs.

Fwiw, the old Didier we use at our home is only 12 ton or so and it splits everything as well.

14. Shurdel

Shurdel

Thanks for all of your replies! Looks like it got sold but I think I’m leaning toward waiting for sale price on a new one or a used one at a lower cost. It seems like the used ones around here are selling at near new prices.
    I have an old Montgomery Ward splitter now, one of the one that sit real low. It won’t start right now, I think I’ll get that running and keep using it until I find another one.

15. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

All are correct above-MTD is a conglomerate that not only dominates the splitter market but most of the push and big box riding mowers. Some are very solid, mine is a Cub Cadet with Honda engine and it’s fine, but not top shelf and I purchased it from my Stihl dealer-log cradle sucks but it gets the job done-unless you want to go speciality brand, ie Lone Wolf, etc-you get a basic spitter that gets the job done-Swisher is over priced too but solid-it comes down to what you want to spend-either way, we’ll support and enable...I have been impressed however by the DHT (Dirty Hand Tools) and you can get an add-on log cradle for it unlike the Cub Cadet that has holes but no attachment options. I’m having one fabricated for mine, a fold out aluminum-it will save time and be convenient-Just my .2 cents

16. Horkn

Horkn

Sounds like a great plan. Post up a pic or 3 of that Montgomery ward. I it might be a Didier as they sold rebranded ones to MW.

17. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Many don’t realize that a Toro or John Deere from a big box store is not the same grade you get from a speciality dealer-its stamped steel vs gauged steel, etc-My industrial commercial Toro Zero Turn has a 7 gauge steel deck, a JD, Toro, Cub Cadet from a dealer is a much different animal. You get what you pay for...that never changes. I’ve owned my Toro for 13 years, haven’t changed one belt and just this year changed the hydro fluid, I mow 3 acres every week and on some parts of the farm run it on two wheels. Save your money and get the machine that meets your desire, not your expectations.

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You know DHT is gone?

19. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

I did not-that’s not good news, I thought they were on the right track...prob choked out by MDT...Hate that-wished many times I’d went with their design...I think they had some models that featured Honda engines...that just sucks...

Chvymn99, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Word on the street was that they had some chinees supply chain issues...I think the company is going work through bankruptcy, but are not continuing the splitter line (other than maybe parts)

Chvymn99, Horkn and Ashwatcher like this.