Didn't get a chance to buck it up yet....But this was at the local dump. Just nuggets and nuggets of gold everywhere! I see a black locust trunk, some white oak, but I couldn't tell what the barkless tree was...cherry perhaps?
Yeah they are just throwing it away!!! And the village has to pay for it to be hauled away so I'm going to take as much as I can....which is not too much at this point....no space.......
maybe the barkless stuff is red maple i say that because the guy that delivers most of my wood to me brings me some red maple that kinda looks like that ...... also is possible there might be a small chance it is a cherry not black cherry but a type of cherry i had cut up a bunch of cherry this spring to mid summer most of it had a birch type of bark that was coming off and when it came off it kinda looked similar to the barkless tree there but all in all still a nice haul
Yeah hopefully I will be able to tell from the smell when I buck it up....Was waiting all day for a call back from the DPW but I guess they were busy.
If you look at the piece behind the barkless stuff that is partially barkless you can see a small amount of bark. Sure looks like Red Maple to me. Could be Elm though. The barks on them look similar to me. You’ll know when you go to split it. I’d surely grab the Locust first and foremost though.
I'm giving the locust to a neighbor. Thanks for the red maple suggestion. Will hopefully get to that wood before someone else does.
I wasn't able to grab anything because the guy had to go........ Yeah, they let me use my chainsaw there. They were flabbergasted that my little 14" Makita cut better than their big boy stihls! And I said......."It's all about how you sharpen!"
Went there at 8:30am.....and someone took the locust already!! I think I did pretty good though.... I exchanged this: For this: That barkless stuff is definitely not red maple or any maple. It kind of smells like cat pizz, reminds me of cottonwood. Wood was very straight grained but extremely wet. The wet pieces were quite difficult to split with my x27. The dryer parts near the edge were firm and crisp. As you can see the meat is quite yellow. Anyone want to guess what else I got? I think I got one small limb of maple but I don't know what any of it is really...
Which one do you think is elm? The one I think is elm are the large rounds with no bark..... Wood was really heavy and seemed very hard.....but also crazy wet. And the heartwood seemed crazy stringy.
Ha! It's all the same round in that tire. Just multiple shots from different angles and after x number of strokes with the x27. I'm pretty sure the barkless stuff is elm though......I just found this video and it looks exactly like the barkless wood I got. Yep......I think you're right. Did you mean to say STRIPED or STRIPPED bark in your first comment?
Striped, not stripped sorry. The smaller striped round. Looking again it’s probably also Elm, just with the bark
The Elm I got from Northampton looked like that. I give you credit if you’re hand splitting it. It was awful enough with a mechanical splitter
This one..... or this one? I think the first one is maple.....but I haven't split it yet (I will tomorrow) and it was kind of in a different spot in the dump than most of the elm......... The second one I think is elm with some bark that fell off of it.......The small round on the right........
I agree the first striped one doesn’t appear to be Elm, but the second one does. Could be Maple. I’m not sure