In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another reason to like Sassafras

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It gets better day by day. Some of the maples are getting nice too.

IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0105.JPG

2. Chud

Chud

It has some of best fall color in my area. Sourwood, sassafras and hickory really light up the forest.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was driving home from Massachusetts late this afternoon and the red and sugar maples lit up the interstate with their color. Didnt see any sassy that i could say.

4. Rich L

Rich L

A little info on the sassafras.My mother in law who was a nurse and from the old school told me that Sassafras made into a tea thins the blood. So forget those prescribed harmful blood thinners.The Sassafras has no side effects.She just told me don't drink too much.I'll have to ask her how much is too much.It also taste like root beer to me.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Be careful consuming anything from the sasafrass tree -

Sassafras is no longer considered safe for human consumption, especially when safrole oil is included. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration currently prohibits sassafras bark, oil, and safrole as flavorings or food additives.Among one of the biggest potential pitfalls of sassafras is its reported link with cancer. The FDA banned sassafras use in 1979 following research that showed it caused cancer in rats. "While the amount of sassafras that could potentially cause cancer in humans remains unknown, one cup of strong sassafras tea is reported to contain as much as 200 mg of safrole, an amount that is four times higher than the amount considered potentially hazardous to humans if consumed regularly," claims Blue Shield.

From -
    The Dangers Of Sassafras | Everyday Health

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I just like saying Sassafras!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:rofl: :lol: I thought i was the only one. It is a fun word to say!

8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Great thread Dennis, you beat me too it. Just last evening my son, my 2 yr old daughter and I took a walk through the woods. Saw lots of deer and I saw one tree sticking out that turned a beautiful red/orange color off in the distance. I was curious because it's a bit early around here but we had a really cool week last week. Upon closer inspection it was indeed a small Sassafras.

They truly are quite beautiful. The shape of their leaves, the smell of their bark and roots for sure make them one of my favorites. Unfortunately the insects just love them around these parts too, they destroy the sassafras around here. Ants are constantly boring out the core, in fact I have one now that has nothing but what looks like saw dust around the base. I think I may try and take it down this fall/winter before it topples down on the kids trampoline.

Sass.jpg

9. Rich L

Rich L

Ya these agencies have to be suspected as to telling the truth.We'd be foolish to take their word as casted in stone.These guys allow harmful drugs into the main stream on a daily basis.Law suits abound on drugs that never should have seen the light of day if Food and Drug,FDA,CDC, and the other watch dog groups were doing their job.Funny how once these products are found harmful they are still being sold to harm the citizenry.However products like Sassafras tea is deemed cancer causing after being used for decades when the cancer rate was much lower than it is now.I drink the tea from time to time and my mother in law whose 87 and many during her time were raised on the stuff.She's in great health and many of her peers are still here.Folks used to take Castor oil now that's deemed no good.Turpentine in minute doses was use for different illnesses.Now that's no good.The attack against natural remedies is massive.They even push food that is genetically altered that they admit they don't know the long term affects of eating it will do to the human body over food the way nature intended to eat. It seems like big money is running the mouths of these agencies and not the truth and the well being of the citizens.

10. jo191145

jo191145

If people only knew how criminally corrupt the CDC is. Nuff said.
    Had Sass tea once, before 79 even. Wasn’t half bad. Course everything tastes great when you’ve been in the mountains for days and eating dehydrated food.

11. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I have a little pile of sassafras wood for smoking/cooking, but I did take the time to remove all the sapwood/bark and split only the heartwood into little 1" strips....

There is a local butcher shop that smokes their bacon/ham with a mix of sassy/black cherry and I gotta tell you it is absolutely AMAZING........

We used to dig up the roots in the wintertime when we were kids and make sassafras tea, actually quite often.....the smell of sassafras tea on the woodstove the wintertime is one of the best smells ever!

But, we know longer consume the tea, not sure how true the claim is that safrole oil causes cancer, just don't wanna take the chance anymore.

Root Beer hasn't been the same since they quit using safrole in it......

Fanatical1, JDU, T.Jeff Veal and 8 others like this.
  12. Chud

Chud

Dosage is the most important thing with everything we consume, including fox news

Sirchopsalot, Farmchuck, JDU and 6 others like this.
  13. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s like the internet channel they make you pay them, how much FOX news can I watch? I’m not gonna turn of FOX so I can watch another show that I’m paying $5 a month for!!!

14. Backwoods Savage

Too much and you will know after a few trips to a certain room.

15. Backwoods Savage

Just one more thing they have found that is not good for the health of rats.

16. fox9988

fox9988

Yes. It’s a wonder rats aren’t extinct. :rofl: :lol:

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2 well said!

18. jo191145

jo191145

I see notices on everything that California has determined this product causes harm to rats. They must be a protected species in California. No worries about extinction. Thought you’d like to know. :)

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

An informed decision, is usually a good decision.

20. billb3

billb3

Safrole oil was banned, not sassafras.
    Mostly because it can be/is used to make ecstasy.
    You can poison rats with (too much of) almost anything, especially rats bred to be cancer-prone.
    Safrole oil can be extracted from sassafras, brown camphor, nutmeg and probably a couple other plants.

I dunno what they're smoking at the CDC but the whole agency seems to have gone to pot.