In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Meeting up with jo191145

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Sep 23, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

A few days ago Joe pm'd me that there was Locust on CL for free in Western MA. Upon researching it, the town was an hours drive from me. I told him it was a hike, but I would probably go, because I never see locust around me. After discovering he was also an hour away, we decided to meet up there and I made arrangements with the homeowner.

We set the date for today at high noon. It wasn't the prettiest tree. Had fallen down a year ago according to the owner. Approx 24" DBH, partially hanging off a steep cliff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We sized it up and came up with a plan. Joe backed his winch dump trailer down and winched the big logs closer so we could get to them easier. The lay of his land was hard to navigate. Where the tree was was down a hill. I have to say, I was impressed with Joes trailer. Sweet, sweet setup he made. Worked like a charm. I have a serious case if trailer envy. One day when I get my dump trailer, I hope to make a similar setup to his. Very impressive. He took some of the big gnarly trunk pieces, and was kind enough to winch the other stuff closer to where we would cut.

From there it was a slice and dice fest. Cut all the wood I was taking to 20" lengths. Plunging my bar in that sweet Locust for the very first time was a sensational feeling. Loaded up my trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys aren't going to believe this, but a member who shall not be named was invited....to cut Black Locust....and declined.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

On the way home about 3 miles from my house I spotted this little guy laying on the side of the road all alone. I thought what in the world. Who could have done such a thing. A nice 9" x 7' Red Oak. So I snagged that and threw it on top of the Locust.

Made it home safe and sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All told we were there an hour and 45 minutes. I had a good time, and I hope Joe did too. There is more Locust there, that the owner wants cut. There are some obstacles to overcome though. Steep terrain, and some power lines fairly close. We shall see what the future holds. I'm just happy to have finally joined the BL club.

3. billb3

billb3

BAN HIM !!!

j/k

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Great score, always awesome to see members helping each other out. Nothing wrong with Locust that's been down a year (or 10 years even) You're hooked now! Watch out man, it's a slippery slope. Next thing you know you'll be finding all sorts of excuses to go for "drives" all over Massachusetts scouting out more, and more, and more... :)

5. Chud

Chud

Nice score. The roadside log looks like Willow Oak. It’s got smooth bark when young.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like a sweet little GTG! :thumbs:
    Good thing he is un-named...that is FHC ban worthy! :eek: :faint: ;)
    Better have a good excuse! :hair:

7. jo191145

jo191145

Had a great time. Always nice to meet other members. Gotta say though that guys property is the kind of thing you find Wiley Coyote dead on the side of :) A nice plateau if your into plateaus. He wants all his BL cut down but get to em,,,need one of those chopper skidders.
    All in all it was a great time and we came away with a little black gold. Can’t ask for a better day than that.
    Oh,,,,and that entire area from above Springfield is just loaded with BL. My neck is sore from driving down I-91.
    Big sir is now a member of the locust club. Once bitten never shy :)
    F743DBEB-A6A5-4864-BA9E-5516D9E23674.jpeg 778924AE-3757-4946-B154-221A9002F2DA.jpeg

8. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

That's an awesome score! Nice to see members hanging out in person too.

Now that I think of it I'm debating whether black locust is at the top of the list......or ash.......because splitting ash is maybe a tad easier than locust......and also there's the smell of locust when you burn it (which doesn't really bother me) but I'd prefer a nice smelling wood too. Hm.......

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’ve never tried Locust. I did also score some sweet Ash a couple months back, about 1.25 cords. Guess the logical thing to do is try em’ all

10. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah I found some cottonwood on the side of the road......and now I know why they left it on the side of the road......because it smells like cat pizz!

11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Ask 100 different people here and you'll get 100 different answers... It's a pretty subjective question. Ash is easier to find, splits beautifully, seasons fast, burns well, nice aroma when burning (again, subjective). Locust on the other hand produces more BTUs, splits decently, doesn't rot fast so you can scrounge a REALLY long dead tree and get viable firewood from it. Of course you have to contend with that weird smell...twice. Processing and burning. Anyway I've heard quite a few people say they don't like the way locust burns, the way it's hard on chains, or any number of reasons they dislike it. Fair enough. Everyone has their own "top of the list" firewood. I've burned way more Ash than Locust but like both. If I'm going to have a fire specifically for a pleasant smell, I'll burn Beech. That stuff cranks out the heat and smells great IMO.

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Ahhhh Beech......another wood I have zero of on my property. I shall score some though!!!

14. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice. The standing dead ones go punky fast so if you come across a fresh blow over or one that was recently felled, grab as much as you can. You won't regret it!

15. jo191145

jo191145

Oh Dang. I have a huge beech score near my house. Have t looked lately but I bet it’s still there. I’ve never had any either.
    7D5AA1B8-7A39-4063-820D-8B19FDCB7F12.jpeg 223204FC-58AD-48A2-ABA1-1A51F5021D44.jpeg

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I was wondering if you ever went back for it. If I remember right you had to contend with a nasty hill and a yard chock full of dog schmutz if you did go for it :)

17. jo191145

jo191145

Yep, dog schmutz and a hill. At least the hill is up. Although winching logs downhill could get exciting fast, especially ones with bark like banana peels.
    Nope never went back. As much as I’d like to try it and there’s plenty there to try. I just gotta get my scores from two years ago processed. People are starting to think I’m a hoarder or sumptin.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The member who wishes to remain anonymous :whistle:had to work. Normally i can pull away but in this case i couldnt. I was in Massachusetts though! Are you going back for more sirbuildalot ? Great that youfinally got some BL. Been on your bucket list for a while.

19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’m just teasing Brad. I’m sure you were thinking about it all day!!! Lol. I think I’m gonna go back this weekend

20. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Another thing that I think needs to be said. I just met Joe today. He drove from an hour away and told me he didn’t care if he got any of the wood. He was just happy to play and help another member. Offering up his winch. I was pretty surprised. We did split the wood, but for him to make such an offer speaks volumes to me on his character. A real genuine person. I bet most forum members here are the same way.