In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yellow Birch

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jul 9, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I took a small ride on the lower side of our property, part of what I think is a yellow birch came down, the rest is still hanging.

    I'll get the stuff on the ground by the middle of next week if not before.

    I would've started it tonight but it was my duty to get the fire going outside so we could cook hot dogs and s'mores,
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Looks like yellow all right. I definitely would stay clear of that snag it looks like is hanging by a thread.
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  3. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    That looks scarey....Be careful....:eek:
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    You even got hoarder signs on the trees... o_O
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's time for a few more slugs in that horizontal hanger, it will come down before the end of July.

    More wood Stinny, after last winter we never have enough.
     
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Countin' on that Woods... :popcorn:
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have company this week, two little ones, 8 & 10.

    The 8 year old caught this in the Brook on his second cast, nice fish.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,321
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I was thinking the same thing about the horizontal hanger...that it isn't be held by much-at all!
    I like the smell of the yellow birch bark when it burns.
     
  9. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You sure get more than your share of trees with hang ups. Be careful, please.
     
    papadave and Stinny like this.
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks like a good time in The Woodlands!

    -Family\Friends
    -Wood
    -Fresh caught trout
    -Fire
    -Smores

    Good Times!:dancer:
     
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work ahead woodlands. And good on you for making the dogs and smores. :yes:We just made smores around the bon fire last Saturday and Sunday night. Wife's grand kids, our kids, and we were all having a good time. :thumbs:
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  12. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Great pics... And be careful out there. !
     
    Stinny likes this.
  13. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,321
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Zap, I was just thinking yesterday morning that I haven't been out trout fishing this year (again). Nice to see that your 8 yr old remembers one of the finer joys of summer.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It was, we still had some good winds so I kept the fire small.
     
    Stinny and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Dad taught the boys well, if he would only teach them to stack wood!
     
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    "if he would only teach them to stack wood!" ... now, that's just crazy right there... :picard:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  17. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Keep and eat the fish or toss?:grizz:
    Wish my trees came labeled like that. No 2nd guessing which ones to cut.
    Don't mind me, I'm trying out the new smilies.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  18. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Yup Grizz is doing a good job of adding more... wonder if he'll find some more logger/lumberjack smilies... :axe:
     
    Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I decided after having some coffee that I would make a run back in so I could grab this Yellow Birch that I cut up late winter or early this spring, the ice storm claimed another tree.

    I'll get what is left in picture 9548 before the end of next week.
     

    Attached Files: