In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Northern Wisconsin Wood Pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thebierguy, Sep 14, 2020.

1. thebierguy

thebierguy

Good Evening. Long time lurker (joined the forum in April of 2020), first time poster. I have enjoyed lurking, so I figure it's time to introduce myself. I guess based on some of the criteria set forth on this here forum, I could be considered a firewood hoarder, which I guess is OK?

Typically, we burn 2.5-4 cord a winter here in North Central Wisconsin with our Vermont Castings Defiant Stove sitting in the basement. We did 4 that one winter a few years back where propane prices were outrageous. It really is just a supplemental heat, whereas our gas furnace is the primary heat. But, I imagine this year, since the Rona is around, I will be working from home for the foreseeable future, so I'm guessing I might burn more wood. I'd image that wood stove might never shut down.

Right now I have 3 different firewood storage racks which each hold 12 face cord (4 cord) each. I have approximately 2 cord of wood that has been seasoned 3 years (oak, white birch, maple) ready to go.

Last week I purchased a just shy of 3 face cord of 18 month oak and maple (split stack uncovered) @20" long, to start burning once the above is gone.

I also have approximately another 2 cord that was piled in rounds and covered for a year then Split/Stacked/Covered a year ago (red oak, maple, and I think elm). This will be my back-up for this winter. This stuff is already surprisingly dry. which is allowing me to continue my bundle hobby I explain below.

**I do have a moisture meter on the way, as soon as Home Depot feels they can part with one that I ordered.**
    20200914_151649.jpg 20200914_151700.jpg

Last fall we purchased 12 cord of red oak that was logged about a mile from the house. I CSS'd about 40% of it this past winter.

20200914_151628.jpg

So with all of that, I have about 10 cord CSS and covered. Now that it is getting cooler again, I will continue cutting at my pile of red oak logs to continue the 3 year plan.

One further development, is that I have ordered a load of Ash (12-ish cord). Once received, I hope to get it CSS this winter, so I have some quick drying wood for the roadside stand and using the winter of 21-22, since oak is so quick to season.

The first two rows of racks I built are just 48x40 pallets screwed together with scrap 2x4's with 2x4's suspending across the stacks with a plywood top. The last rack I built out of treated 2x4's - last winter. The only other improvement I think I could make to these racks would be to get them elevated off the ground. Maybe next time once I empty them.

20200914_151722.jpg

Prior to building the racks, I used fence posts (tied together on top with wire), and covered with tarps, plywood, and big rubber rugs. I got sick of fighting 16" of snow on top of the wood in the winter while trying to load it into the sled to take it to the house, hence the "permanent" racks. I have started stacking new wood here this fall as it was convenient for the rounds I had piled near.

20200914_151708.jpg

Once my current racks are filled, I plan to use the leftovers from tearing the cedar deck off my house to build some more racks. I have a lot of space for firewood storage, so that is not an issue.
    20200914_151825.jpg

I live on a County Highway, which many campers use to access some campgrounds about 10 miles NE of where I live. This fall, I have started dabbling in selling bundled wood, with a little roadside stand. At this point, I have sold 51 bundles, plus another 1/4 face cord. All with a FB and CL ad, plus the small roadside stand. As you can see, it was emptied out today.

20200914_152128.jpg

The kids and I made another 10 bundles this evening. We have a 25 Ton County Line wood splittealong with the 4-way splitter head for the unit and the log rack. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have also done some hand splitting - good exercise! Of the stuff I have stacked, I bet 1-2 cord has been hand split. I have made the bundles using baler twine. At this point, I am happy with that as the customers can just toss the twine in the fire instead of (probably) burning the plastic.

20200914_181233.jpg 20200914_184453.jpg

I am now also investigating purchasing a tractor. We live on 10 acres and a tractor would sure make life a lot easier. Plus it would make the firewood process awesome. Thinking IBC totes, or some other totes on pallets. At this point I am leaning towards something orange - Kubota LX2610 seems to be in the lead so far. I like the ability to attach a mid mount mower, and also possibly a front mount snow blower. The L series doesn't have that ability. I have done a little research on the Kioti, but the nearest dealer is over 50 miles whereas the Kubota is about 10. The biggest hurdle has been crossed, my wife is on board.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Bill2, Loon, NYCountry and 56 others like this.
  2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

You have a very nice and organized operation there. Plenty of wood top covered and organized plus the small side business of selling bundles of wood in the stand you made. Very nice.
    Thanks for showing and welcome to the club.

3. Horkn

Horkn

Welcome to FHC fellow Wisconsinite!

A tractor is a great investment. You've already got enough other tools. ;)

Nice firewood inspector you've got there as well!

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Welcome to the club!

Sounds like you have a nice variety of hardwoods to work and burn with.

What kind of saw(s) do you use?

5. mr.finn

mr.finn

Welcome to the FHC club. Looks like you are well organized and detailed when it comes to taking care of your wood. Thanks for sharing your story and pics.

6. thebierguy

thebierguy

Thanks! I've been using my Stihl MS270 which I purchased back in 2009 or so. Usually have a rotation of 3 chains I work through as well. It's been a good running saw. I have wanted to get a second saw as backup, but this one keeps chugging along.

Updating my signature now :)

7. thebierguy

thebierguy

I know - Spend a little money now and for the next 5 years and it sounds as if the re-sale is pretty darn good if I every need to get rid of it. I'll most likely pull the trigger. talked to the dealer yesterday and most of the units on the lot have been sold, except for one L3901. He has more LX2610's order, but with everything going on, it's taking time. Probably a month or two.

The pup (5 year old golden) does enjoy sniffing out the wood piles. Lots of chipmunks and red squirrels bouncing around - oh and mice. have a caught my fair share of those rodents so far this later summer/early fall. He did have a buddy/7 year old golden he got to tag team with but he had to cross the rainbow bridge in July, so now we are down to one. I'm sure next spring we will get the itch to get a puppy.

I also see your signature mentions a kawi Bayou. Can you spot the one in my pictures?

8. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Great first post, welcome to the club. You’re gonna fit right in

9. Erik B

Erik B

Welcome Mitch Lavin You will love it here and you do have a very nice place and a well organized yard for all things WOOD. It is good to have a person here from the land of the Hodags. I lived in Rhinelander when I was very young.

10. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Welcome aboard!!! Nice property and stacks!!!

Always nice to come out of the shadows!!!

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

Maina, Cash Larue, jo191145 and 8 others like this.
  12. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Welcome. That pile of red oak logs is a beautiful site.

13. Horkn

Horkn

Oh yeah, I see it. Is that a 300c? I need to make a saw rack/box for the front of mine too, amongst all of the other things I'm working on.

We've got a family cabin in Tomahawk, and I thought that looked familiar territory.

Maina, Cash Larue, jo191145 and 6 others like this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome Mitch Lavin.

Nice looking wood stacks. Good luck with new tractor. Make good decisions before buying. Two things stand out from what I am hearing. First is that most folks don't decide on tires; they just take what the dealer has on the tractor. Make the decision based on what the land is like where you will use it most. Seems lots of folks buy the industrial tires simply because they won't tear up a lawn and if you plan on mowing that is a big factor. I like Ag\\ab tires for the better traction and also I don't have to mess with tire chains in winter.

The other is so many folks are afraid of the new technology, which is silly. Yes, some manufacturers had some problems at first and perhaps some still do. But those having most of the problems are also the ones who are afraid of the throttle. If you try to run at low speed all the time,that seems to be a good way to bring on problems. But this is an easy fix.

Good luck.

15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC @Mitch Lavin. If you pit @an alert will be sent to that person.

16. thebierguy

thebierguy

400! I think it was an awesome find when I bought it in Rhinelander in 2012 for $800, with a plow. I almost sold it after we bought the Can-Am Defender last year, but for how cheap I got it, it is too valuable to me for certain things.

The rack you see is actually for holding an ice auger. Just keep forgetting to take it off. I did build a rack for the back a couple winters back specifically for the rest of my ice fishing equipment as well! We have had so much snow the last couple winters that it's been hard to get on the ice. 20190227_123713.jpg

Tomahawk: That's kind of how I ended up here in the Minocqua area. Family cabin on Lake Nokomis in Tomahawk made me fall in love with the area.

Attached Files:

17. thebierguy

thebierguy

Thanks for the tips Backwoods Savage. I've been leaning towards the Industrial R4's but recently noticed the R14's. Most of usage will be on turf, with some in the woods. Mostly all sand here under the few inches of sandy topsoil. At this point not planning on mowing, but I may. Not sure.

When you say new technology - do you mean DPF/emissions? I'm not entirely afraid. It's just a filter in the exhaust :) For me, I'm not sure I need the extra power that comes with a 33 or 39 horse. We will see though.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Ahh, the 400. You don't see a lot of those. I like our 300c because it's built like a tank, simple as can be, light enough that I can literally pick one end up and over a good foot at a time, and aside from a rear shaft seal that went after 30 yrs or so, it just plain works. oh yeah, that seal.....gotta fix that. The 400 is not much heavier than the 300 and has more power, but is also a tiny bit more complicated due to the Liquid cooling. If you ever think about selling that 400, LMK. ;)

with newer atv's they are much heavier, most at least. our polaris sportsman 500 is like 800 lbs. I can barely move it like I can with the bayou.

19. thebierguy

thebierguy

Quick picture of the loaded roadside stand from this morning.
    20200915_073822.jpg

Also, my MS270 and the Acc-U-Mark tool for measuring/cutting firewood

20200915_074410.jpg

20. thebierguy

thebierguy

You are right, there are not a lot of 400's out there. The liquid cooling did cause me an issue early in ownership: the fan was completely broken. Luckily ebay found me a replacement. The other issue is the temperature sensor that engages the fan was shot. I bypassed it by installing a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Now we are all good.