In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Light chainsaw recommendation? Not budget related.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lastmohecken, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, that's about right. And I will likely end up with both, I just haven't decided which to get first. My current saw, I estimate to weigh in that 13 lb range. And to be honest, the more I use it the better I like it, but as I see a lot of you do, I have the desire to own another saw or two. I kind of wanted to get into the Stihl's because of the dealer support, as there seems to be a lot more Stihl dealers in my area, and close to me. Although the closest dealer doesn't have as big an inventory as the dealer I visited the other day, but he is close and handy.

I am kind of wanting a small saw for fence work, too. But then I also have considered a bigger saw for bigger firewood work. Obviously, the saw I have now, will pretty much do it all. But I am worried about continued service and parts, since they apparently don't even make the Jonsered 2255 anymore even though it's only about 3 years or so old. However, I understand that Husky still makes a pretty much identical saw in the Rancher.

2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yep....,. There it is! CAD gets another one!!!:rofl: :lol:

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was running my 170 for a while the other day cutting smaller wood. Picked up the 261 to buck some of the bigger wood and it was noticeably heavier. (2.2 lbs powerhead, not counting bigger bar)
    Stihl classifies chain saws in three categories:
    Homeowner saw made for occasional use. 170 & 180 fall into this
    Farm/ranch saw made for regular use
    Professional saw made for everyday use. 261 fall into this.
    A 193 or 194 rear handle is lightweight and falls under the farm/ranch. $400 range for either.
    Good choice for weight factor IMP.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yes, it runs the narrow kerf chain, cuts good. But you can go bigger when you wear out the first bar.

5. Loon

Loon

Forget what was paid but the 310 is a great little saw.:cheers:

[​IMG]

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning and using one saw. I did that for around 50 years with no problems at all. In addition, not counting when I was logging, I also used only a 16" bar. The reason was that 32" diameter is the largest tree I cut with only one exception. but even with that one large tree, I had a friend who had a big saw and he fell it. I still cut it up. Yes, that was a tough job but for only one tree it was actually fun (it was ash).

The only reason I bought the 180 was my wife kept after me (probably rightly so) because my back was so bas and she thought maybe if I uses the light saw for limbing it would be easier on my body. It proved to be so but if not for that I would still be a one saw owner.

7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I remember running a little Poulan saw in the 170 size range that belonged to my dad when I was young man, 40 years ago, cutting wood, and I can still remember how handy it was, and it cut pretty good when sharp and running well. But I seem to remember it was a bit cantankerous to keep in operation, but then again, I wasn't the poster child for chain saw maintenance either.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  8. Casper

Casper

It really is worse than the "Vid".

9. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, let me in on the joke. What is CAD and the Vid?

10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

CAD= chainsaw acquisition disorder!
    I should know because I’m seriously afflicted with it. Had just one saw for over a dozen years, then last February bought another. Now I’m up to 8:hair:

11. campinspecter

campinspecter

Knew I had something now I know what it is CAD . My local Stihl dealer has ordered a MSA 220c for me !

12. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, I am susceptible to all kinds of diseases like that. No doubt. I have been suffering from GAD (gun acquisition disorder) for over 40 years. And apparently, there is an AAD also = Axe acquisition disorder. For over 40 years, I owned one Plum double bit (and I used it a lot) until recently. Then I got to buying old ax heads off of ebay and rehanging them, and recently I even purchased a Grandfors Bruks small forest ax, but I love it. Now I probably own 15 axes.

And I have brunt wood for my main heating for probably 30 years straight and I didn't even own a chainsaw for most of those years. Oh, I borrowed a chainsaw usually, and also bought a lot of wood, or had young relatives who needed extra money and would cut a few ricks for me every winter. As far as my general farm work and fence row cleaning or removing an occasional tree, I used the ax mostly.

And today! I bought another chainsaw! I didn't really intend to pull the trigger today, but stopped off at my local small inventory Stihl dealer, and you know I had been talking about not only a small saw but a Pro saw with a 24 to 25 inch bar. I might not have bought it today, but he only had the one in stock, and he was $100 cheaper then the big dealer wanted 25 miles away. And the big dealer didn't have one in stock anyway. The saw after handling it, didn't seem to be as heavy as my Jonesred but I haven't really compared them yet. So, in the end, I walked out with an MS 362 with a 25" bar and full chisel chain. I wanted to try a longer bar, and if I don't like it, I will go back to a 20" bar. Haven't even started it yet. I wanted a plain Jane model in the Pro line and I think this is it. I might have went smaller but like I said, I wanted to try a 25" bar.

So, we will see. I still might want that smaller saw some time, but right now, I have got to get control of this CAD.

13. campinspecter

campinspecter

I like the longer bars so you don't have to bend over as much. Congratulations on the new saw.
    100_2384.JPG

14. Chud

Chud

There’s nothing like that new pro Stihl smell :D Congrats! my last new one sat in the living for a week before I could make it not showroom condition

15. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Congrats on the new saw!!! The 60cc class is a good size. Big enough for bucking bigguns, but still small enough to limb with.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats awesome. Congrats on the new saw! :saw:
    Regardless of what all the Husky guys say you bought the right brand. (JBYB guys)
    I own a 361 (which evolved into the 362) and have owned it about a month. Recently bought it from a fellow member here. It was practically new. Has a 22" bar.
    Up until a couple years ago i only ran a 16" bar on my one saw. Bought a used bigger saw (stihl MS460) and a 28" bar for it. Takes a bit getting used to with the longer bar but nice to slice a big log in one pass.
    A small saw will be a perfect compliment to the two you now own. Just dont blame me if you come down with CAD! :whistle:
    I have a bad case...bought three saws in April, one used and another two this Summer also used. I'm "in the market" for a couple more.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Alan, are you converting to Stihl?

18. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yes, that is exactly why I wanted to try a longer bar.

19. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’m always in the market for a couple more

20. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, I couldn't wait for long. I filled her full of gas and oil and gave her a few pulls on the rope. It started in about 4 to 5 pulls or so, ran great. I gave her a few revs and checked for oil on the bar. It looked good and I had a dead red oak log, my brother in law had set up for me across some other downed timber in a field, so I loaded up the side by side and headed to it.

This was the first time I had used a longer bar then 20" a saw this powerful, I think. It cut great, and just seemed to fly through the wood. I really do love this longer bar and it has about the right power for me and my skill level. Frankly, I loved it. I cut up that log, which was an older seasoned log, without any issues. I shut it off, and commenced to splitting the rounds. I got out of breath several times, and had to take a few water breaks. I wanted to cut some other even older downed red oak underneath it, so I got ready to start the saw, and That's where I had a little trouble. I think maybe I flooded it, as I decided to put it on choke with the trigger locked, and I cranked several times, at which time I was starting to get worried but I took it off choke, and back and forth and finally got it to hit. Ran it some more, split some more, rolled some logs over, and then decided to try it on the first notch down on the lever. It hit, on the first or second pull. So, I decided that maybe that's the way to approach it when the saw is warm.

I shut it off and started it a few more time after that and didn't have any problems. One or two cranks and it's gone. I know I had to figure out my Jonsered, and it's a little different, but once I figured it out, it always starts on the first pull when warm.

Oh, and I kept an eye on the chain, since I figured it would stretch and I didn't know what to expect there. I tightened it once, no problems. I think this is going to be a fine saw, and I love that longer bar. I can't ever see myself going back to a 20 inch on this saw. What I don't get is why they offer the assisted start on some of these and smaller models, as this saw doesn't have it and it's easy to crank, and it's just got a carb, still a pretty simple saw. I wanted less to to go wrong. So far I am elated.