In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I just pulled the trigger on a new stove.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Sean in the woods, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam

Sure looks like what they’re now calling a hybrid design. A regular noncat stove with primary air, secondary air at the roof, and then a cat to clean up emissions. A cat stove doesn’t need any secondary air. Mine has no air holes anywhere, all air comes in through the air wash at the window.

Nothing wrong with a hybrid design. Some are quite capable of low burn rates which is the most important in my application of keeping a home warm.

2. Hoytman

Hoytman

Your air wash air is preheated though right? Through the primary air tubes from the back of the stove and across the top of the stove and across the window? Most stoves primary air isn’t preheated...well never mind...I’m thinking pre-epa stoves. These new ones might be.

T.Jeff Veal, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Can't be heated too much, its the coolness of that curtain of air that makes it fall across the back of the door glass and roll into the base of the fire...

4. Highbeam

Highbeam

Yes, all primary and secondary air systems on any modern stove I've ever seen were preheated to some extent. Even the doghouse air on the NC30 travels much farther than necessary to pick up some heat before shooting into the coals. The BK design makes an extra effort to provide a significant amount of heat exchanger exposure to the firebox for preheating but is still a bit cooler than firebox temperatures when it cascades down the stove glass.

I don't know what's up above this Jotul's baffle but that baffle is a perforated stainless plate which is definitely better than the common fiber designs. Way more durable.

5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Don’t the PE’s and and least one model of Woodstock stoves have a Stainless baffle as well?

I like the Jotul designed baffle, and I’ve seen a lot of good reviews on the PE baffles, but I’ve also seen a bunch of pictures of terribly warped PE baffles.

Those bends in the Jotul baffle should add tremendous strength and resistance to warping.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup...I wouldn't have one.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  7. Hoytman

Hoytman

Really?
    I like the stoves, and I here a lot of good things about the T5 and T6 stoves as well as the S27 and Classic which I hate the looks of. Reminds of old circulator stoves.

I’m just scared of the baffles even though they supposed to be super easy to replace. I’m not that impressed with Regency stoves either though I’m sure some love them.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What's that baffle cost? Probably not cheap...if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars every few years on a rebuild, I'd rather go cat stove...

9. Hoytman

Hoytman

Not that I’m not looking for a nice used CAT stove to try, because I am, but your question is exactly what prompted me to buy used Lopi Liberty tube stove to try. It has bricks in the top ...until the 2020 stoves came out ...now has insulating blanket and maybe a board baffle too. Not sure about the board baffle, but I think it has that as well.

I don’t want to spend enough money in 5-10 buying parts that might add up to a new stove in that time. I’m sorry, just doesn’t make good sense to me...not when older stoves were built like tanks. Easy enough to find one and modify to a tube stove. Adding a CAT might not present too much trouble in the right old stove. Easier just to buy a modern used one though. Figure out what you like, tubes or CAT, then buy new.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's different...it has actual firebricks? Most tube stoves just have a ceramic insulation baffle board...or some flavor thereof...and some have a board with a blanket on top too. Generally those baffle boards can be replaced DIY using aftermarket ceramic board material for $50-100...and unless you beat 'em up loading firewood like a cowboy, they last a long time...I've only ever had one break, and it was 5-6 years old.

11. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yep!!
    I found an older one in great shape.
    Note the metal thicknesses and the way the door is built.

Here’s the new version.

12. Hoytman

Hoytman

I like the fact that I can get convection air without a blower. I got lucky and go one with a blower that works. Oh...4” back wall clearance as well.

13. Hoytman

Hoytman

Back to the Jotul...
    I’m hearing lots of good things about their enamel paint as well as how well the older stoves work and are made. I look forward to seeing reviews on their new stoves. Burn times will be interesting to see how much they increase with the new CAT.

14. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    I’ll let you know how it goes as I learn it.

I’m hoping that I will have enough control over the air to reliably keep the cat going and the wood burning minimally so I can reliably find the sweet spot for the longest burn.

15. Hoytman

Hoytman

As long as they’ve been in business I’d say they know a thing or three about making them.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My buddy used to work for a well known local multi-line stove dealer and he seemed to like Jotul's pretty well...of course he had been to enough of their seminars that I'm sure they slipped him some koolaid at some point :rofl: :lol:

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and Hoytman like this.
  17. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    Mmmmm koolaid... pretty colors...

18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Let's get the facts, just the facts from the source. Chris ?
    BKVP will enlighten us about where "secondary air" (if any) comes from in the BK stoves.
    The VC cats had a thermostatic flap for added secondary air for their cat.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  19. BDF

BDF

Depending on the stoves' ability to throttle the primary air intakes, the cat. may need more oxygen to perform any combustion on the smoke coming from the firebox. When a cat. stove is throttled way down there is not enough primary air to even allow correct combustion, never mind leaving an oxygen- rich atmosphere for the cat. while the fuel smolders.

I am not saying all cat. based stoves have secondary air but I thought that was the case. Hopefully someone from BK will chime in on this....

Brian

20. Highbeam

Highbeam

While we wait for bkvp....

No secondary air for the cat on the princess, or any other modern bk that I’m aware of. These aren’t hybrids. There were some bk designs decades ago that did add secondary air.