In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I just pulled the trigger on a new stove.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Sean in the woods, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    It was a twisty path as I bounced between several brands.

We have an old Vermont Castings stove that is in need of a rebuild, eats wood like crazy and had 2 runaway fires last season. It gave us quick spikes of heat and cold as it devoured its load. I really wanted the new stove to give us more even heat, day and night.

Knowing nothing more about wood stoves than soapstone can help flatten the heat spikes by absorbing then radiating excess heat, I started looking for a soapstone stove and was focusing on Woodstock.

Then, while looking for someone to remove the old stove and install a new one I found that there was a wood stove dealer not too far beyond the village I live near. He carries and supports Pacific Energy, Hearthstone and Jøtul. I had heard many good things about Jøtul but not the other two. When I learned that Hearthstone made soapstone stoves I began focusing on that brand. I want to support our local businesses, mainly because their are so few. And, I want to establish a relationship with folks that can service our stove for years to come.

While this was happening, I learned more from the great people at this forum about the properties of modern cast and steel stoves. One of the many things I learned here is that a well made stove can spread the BTUs in a load of wood over many hours. This lessens the initial heat spike and allows the heat to last. Bonus, when an unexpected cold snap hits, the metal stove heats quicker. So, this put PE and Jøtul back in the running.

I heard that one if the stoves I was considering from Hearthstone had an issue with back puffing that was just poor design. Our wood stove is our main heat so I wont risk it. Hearthstone was out. PE has great looking design and many fans. Jøtul has great looking design, many fans, the long history and burns 3 times cleaner.

I just ordered a Jøtul F500 Oslo V3 in Blue/Black enamel with a steel (I think) cooktop and a blower kit.

Thank you to all who helped with my many questions. I have learned lots in a short time.

2. Rich L

Rich L

I've burned Hearthstone Stoves for many years and never had any Back puffing issues.As you see I'm burning two of their models to date.Which stove supposedly had the back puffing issue ?

3. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

It was the Green Mountain 60.

4. Rich L

Rich L

Man that stove is so new I didn't realize anyone had a chance to use it yet.

5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

CONGRATULATIONS! You should be pleased with your choice. I also like supporting local businesses if possible. We will all be waiting for pictures when it arrives.

6. BDF

BDF

Congrats on the new stove! I have a friend who has two Jotuls and they are very nice, very well made stoves with great cast iron; those stoves should serve you well for years.

Also a great job of doing research in my opinion. Rather than just buy what someone claimed to be 'the best' stove or just buying the first thing you saw, you very thoughtfully did lots of research and made a very considered purchase. Also, thinking about the future and how the stove will be serviced was a great point- you will be using that stove long after the first winter and the sale itself is in the rearview mirror.

Brian

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

Congratulations. The blue/black enamel is excellent. I've had 3 Jotuls with enamel and all were a very good, durable finish.

Now the Oslo V3 has a combuster if I recall. I am looking forward to hear about this new technology. Keep us posted this fall.

8. BDF

BDF

I did not realize this- it is a cat. stove but with some type of new technology that has no bypass and a 20 year cat. warranty! Most impressive. Very good technical spec.s also. My only negative thought would be that it is not a very large stove at just under 2.5 cu. ft.. That said, it is both a front and end load stove that will take 24" splits so it probably loads with a very full pack.

I hope the OP takes some photos and keeps us up to date with his progress with this new stove. Overall, I think it may well be an outstanding stove being both user friendly as well as a modern, clean running stove.

Brian

9. Highbeam

Highbeam

Lots of new stoves our right now with new technologies, very impressive performance specifications, and promises.

10. Chaz

Chaz

Congrats Sean in the woods

Researching a replacement stove is how I found this site also.

Have not regretted it for a single second.
    :thumbs:

Looking forward to pics and a review of the stove after a season or 2 of usage.

20 yr combustor warranty..
    :faint:

Wow
    :dancer:

11. BDF

BDF

Yeah, methinks that is a bit.... OK, way too ambitious. But what will be more interesting is how the company deals with combustors that the customers have failed 'cause some of us replace them in a couple of years or even a bit less- that would make for 10 or so combustor warranty replacements. Though if they price the combustors extremely high and use a pro- rated replacement system that could swing things back in their favor (and away from the customer's favor).

Still, I am happy to wait and see how it works out without expecting anything bad or unfair.

Brian

12. coreboy83

coreboy83

Congrats on the new stove purchase ! You’re decision was well researched and well informed. Sounds like you made the perfect choice for your needs. Look forward to some reviews !

13. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Keep us up on the new Jotul.
    You've got some cojones to get a new technology...congrats. :thumbs::thumbs:
    Some of us are typical old farts that never will buy into any new tech until proven in real world use: software, vehicles, anything just out.:zip::zip::zip:
    I looked carefully at the Jotul Oslo V3 since we had used cat tech for a couple of decades then decided to go non cat.
    Best of success.
    Jotul's HQ is here in Portland, Maine and usually accessible for problem assist if your dealer can't.

14. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

I was a little worried about the new tech but it looks solid. Also, Jøtul has been making stoves and supporting its customers since 1853. So I’m confident that if I have issues, they will be resolved.

I’ll post them if they crop up.
    The local dealer seems like good folks. I probably will never need to call the factory but will if needed.

15. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Good luck Sean.
    Our Oslo non cat ( blue/black enamel ) heated 24/7 1/2 our place for about 15 years.
    Reliable, simple maintenance ( gaskets ), pretty, never any problems.
    Only real negative on the Oslo was that the front door piles up ash. Oslo owners almost never use front loading since the ash falls out the front. Maybe this has been solved in your V3.
    The new 2 Jotul Rangelys ( see Pallet Pete on this stove ) now do our whole house ( no central furnace ).
    The V3 tech is new and untested by long term users. Jotul U.S. had checked the stove out carefully according to my source to meet the 2020 EPA regs. It was designed to be "user friendly" for long term use.
    We'll see.

16. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

Did yours have grates in the bottom of the firebox with an ash pan below?

17. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Yes both. Emptied the ash pan once a day in winter. Easy to use design.
    Even after very hard use for many years, there was no deterioration in the "burn tubes", no cracks in the grate or any inside casts or the original 'glass', and the finish was perfect.
    Only 3 of the firebricks were cracked and replaced.
    Glad you chose the blue/black enamel.

18. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

What is a “burn tube”? Is that what delivers air for the secondary burn?

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's the tube that his brain cells rode from Smarf, to Dumf...:whistle: ;)
    JK :D
    Yes, secondary air tubes.

TurboDiesel, Thor, Maina and 5 others like this.
  20. Dumf

Dumf Banned

" I did not come on here to be made light of " . o_Oo_O
    :p:pMr. Brennda ( male ? ) made a funny.

" Burn tubes" in the Oslo are not "secondary air"; they heat primary air. They burn off particulates and gases for an EPA regulated burn. The secondary air comes from another source similar to how
    cat stoves burn their gases. Veritas.:cool::cool:

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.