In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood Business

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Fourwinds1717, Sep 3, 2020.

?

Hand splitting vs log splitter

1. Log splitter

64.0%
  2. Hand splitting

12.0%
  3. Both

24.0%
  1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:drool:
    Wow, you're quite the cook!
    Enjoy!
    :beerbbq:

jo191145, mat60, NortheastAl and 4 others like this.
  2. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

Thank you! It’s hard to beat meat and cooked veggies! Lol. If only I could get my kids to try more than chicken nuggets and fries!

jo191145, mat60, NortheastAl and 4 others like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If the chicken nuggets and fries quit coming, they will eat something else, eventually. :whistle:
    We have a picky eater too...:hair: her mom and I differ on how that happened...I say picky eaters are created, she says they are born that way...she is the one that has to deal with it mainly, so I just :zip: and :picard:

4. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

I agree! Me and my wife differ quite a bit sometimes when it comes to how we teach and discipline as well. Lol. I’m probably the least pickiest in our household. It’s bad when you cook separate meals for you and your kids! Lol

5. Erik B

Erik B

Welcome Fourwinds1717 I am no longer a spring chicken but I still swing a maul once in awhile. If I am cutting some oak that is of a nice size, I find I can't pick it up. That is where the maul comes into play. I use it to split the rounds into halves or quarters, just small enough I can handle them. Everything else get the hydro splitter treatment. I found as I got older and my two boys grew up and moved away, I had to get more mechanized. That is when I got a garden tiller, snow blower and splitter.

jo191145, NortheastAl, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  6. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

Sounds like a smart plan Erik B! My dad and uncle roofed with their dad, my papaw. And then I have family members in concrete and sheet metal that have worked those kinds of jobs most of their lives and they tell me you can really feel the years of work over time! My dad said he really started telling a difference when he hit around 45. He said that he can tell he doesn’t recover like he used to as well. I do agre that working smarter is a good thing. Especially in the long run from what I’ve heard!

jo191145, NortheastAl, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  7. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

And thank you for the welcome!

jo191145, NortheastAl, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

I also agree about splitting the wood before moving it. I used to get calls from a tree service to come and get the wood and it would be 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide pieces of oak, I’m guessing around 300-400 pounds. It seemed like it took everything me and my brother had to roll them up my trailer hate and bring them home. I have learned that hard way that splitting them into manageable chunks is much smarter and easier. I remember feeling like my muscles were torn in numerous areas when we would do that. Definitely hard on the body moving big chunks of hardwood!

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hey Fourwinds1717 if you put a @ in front of a name it tags then and also auto fill the name plus sends them an alert

jo191145, NortheastAl, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  10. Erik B

Erik B

Fourwinds1717 You don't have to give up splitting but you should do the splitting thing when necessary. Most of us here had thought that we were indestructible at one time early in our lives. Adding on the years taught us that is not true.
    Work smarter, not harder, is advice you will get from most everyone here. Just doing our part to keep others healthy and happy.:handshake:

11. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

Thank you for that! I will use that from now on! Canadian border VT

jo191145, mat60, MikeInMa and 7 others like this.
  12. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

I appreciate that! Erik B :D

13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

There are a members that have young sons that have there own firewood business. One who was about 8 even used the splitter under dad's supervision of course, to split his own wood to sell. So you have your son on the right track.

jo191145, mat60, NortheastAl and 5 others like this.
  14. Fourwinds1717

Fourwinds1717

Thank you very much for that! I agree it is important to teach kids good work skills and good work ethic at a young age. I believe it makes a huge difference on how they turn out as adults.

15. bushpilot

bushpilot

OK, now you have gone too far! :drool::drool::D

16. bushpilot

bushpilot

I note your Easter sign. There are quite a few believers here as well. And lots that aren't, and we get along for the most part. :D

17. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Welcome Fourwinds1717 to FHC. I see you’ve already made a lot of friends. If it involves wood, there is no better group of people to learn from and to share your knowledge. This is a family here.

I know I’m repeating what others have said, but a hydro splitter is essential if you want to grow your business. Keep hand splitting just enough to keep the stress level down and get the benefit of the exercise, but at one point you’ll see that your body will have approved of the purchase. We don’t stay young and healthy forever.

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Great pics, Four Winds!

Love your wood working projects!:salute:

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yep. Work them till they're too tired to get in trouble...:whistle:

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just found this one on FBMP for $75, sans 5hp engine...a trip to Harbor Fright would have ya a 6.5 HP $200 splitter there Fourwinds1717 ! :whistle: ;)
    [​IMG]
    Never seen one like this before...a little googoofuu says they made them for a few years...centrifugal clutch driving a acme screw...looks a little slow...this one is located in Paris Ohio...probably not far from Locust Post ...