I was out running errands and got detoured 10 minutes out of the way. Grrrrr. I stumbled on a big pile of bucked white ash on the side of the road. It was bleached gray from the sun and ready to go. Fought back the urge to load it up because something in my gut inexplicably told me to leave it alone. Sorry, no pictures. I get a quarter mile further down the road and slam on the brakes. CARDBOARD SIGN. FREE LOGS. BUCKED. BLACK LOCUST. There’s still a couple downed trees there needing to be bucked. I couldn’t plan this if I tried
Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Going back and ask to cut the logs?
Is that a Thoreau or Jack London quote? I know I’ve heard it before somewhere... I was definitely considering going back and knocking on the door. Most likely I’ll follow up later next week when I’m headed back that way anyway. I’ll bring the saw just in case
Bucked into manageable lengths, easy access, and FREE. That's the trifecta. Nice. Go get the rest and than the Ash, which will probably still be there.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking. I have a hard time passing on ash since I’ll be able to burn it in the 2021-2022 season if I need to. Those pieces looked maybe 3-4 years old. Someone just never got around to splitting them and dumped them on a backroad. Concerning the locust, it’s an all around great score to have. I could use more wood for two years out. Looks like the owner just wants it all gone. Nice straight trees without too many crotches from what I can see. I’ll inquire to see if I can get at least one more truckload anyway.
I never say this, but you suck! Totally awesome and three thumbs up Sounds like a lot of my scrounges. Purely by accident. You better be going back for the rest. Dont make me come up there!
It was nice to finally get some fresh cut Locust for a change. Almost all of what I have at home already was dead/Barkless. I got all this new stuff split and stacked, maybe a little more than 1/3 cord. Fingers crossed that when I go back, it’s still there, and I can get permission! If the owner wants it gone, I’ll happily do my part
It will be. Nice straight trunk too. I liked being able to cut fresh vs dead. Mine sits in the PU yet. Pulled the smalls needing to be bucked. Had almost a full load of sugar maple to split sitting in the driveway that i brought home this afternoon. Split at least half of it. Still have a PU load of it to get home yet.
This will be the wrap up of the Flowcust score. I went back twice and scored half a load each. Another hoarder had been working it and took the best of what was left. All told I ended up with about 3/4 cord. I can live with that! The unsplit pieces on the left are from another locust score that a fellow member tipped me off to today. Ugh, too much hoarding lately and not enough organizing of my work/storage area!
The story of my hoarding career! Looking good Eric! Bet your loving the hydro! Better than in the heat.