In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Twigster

Twigster

Highbeam no sales tax!

Chaz likes this.
  2. Twigster

Twigster

Just received $500 off shipping! That really helps.

Chaz, Smokey jeff, Highbeam and 3 others like this.
  3. Smokey jeff

Smokey jeff

That $500 off shipping just helped me pull the trigger on a new fireview

Chaz, Hoytman, moresnow and 3 others like this.
  4. BDF

BDF

Update on my Ideal Steel firebox crack:
    This was originally supposed to be addressed last Nov. (2019) but it kinda' fell through the cracks (small pun intended) and so I still have the same stove and firebox in the house. The crack has gotten quite a bit longer and there is now a gap between the two sides of the firebox at the crack, perhaps 1/16" of an inch. The crack is now all the way to the hinge.

I made a crude frame out of 2 X 4's that extends off both sides of the stove in the hope of making it somewhat easier to lift and move. Some guys are coming over later today to hopefully get it out of the house and onto the porch, where it will wait for the truck to come and take it back to Woodstock. This is one seriously heavy woodstove- of course I took off the readily detachable things but that did not lighten it by much. This thing is seriously gravitation-ally challenged. o_O:DOf course the truly ironic thing is that we are doing this in the middle of a heat wave but at least it is only 91F out today while it touched 100F two days ago.

A lousy photo of the crack:
    Ideal Steel firebox crack.JPG

I believe Woodstock is going to replace the firebox as well as the sled because the new firebox requires a change in the sled also.

Marvin, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:yes:

Chaz likes this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK

If you can find Roll or Kari brand piano/organ dollies to rent, they’re worth every penny! I’ve moved 3Woodstock stoves with them, and I’d never attempt it without them.

7. BDF

BDF

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately the guys helping me will be here momentarily and I doubt they are going to be bringing a dolly :D So we're going to have to do it the hard way.... lifting and walking it outside. Besides, the threshold going out to the porch is about a 5" drop so a dolly would not work there anyway. The stove only has to be moved about 10 feet so I am hoping for the best..... and prepared for the worst (tile floor- a drop or two will shatter more than one tile).

Brian

brenndatomu, BrianK and Chaz like this.
  8. BDF

BDF

..... and now it is on the porch, pinned by gravity and waiting patiently for a truck to swing by and pick it up.

Four guys, three in their thirties and in pretty good shape, and one pathetic old man managed to lift it, walk it across the living room and out the front door, then about eight feet down to near the end of the porch. Three of the four expressed surprise at how heavy the stove was while the fourth gentleman was simply hoping not to collapse under the load like Mary Jane Tinklepants, or have any parts fall off of him. :bug: I think, or perhaps hope, that the hardest part is over, at least until the stove comes back and has to be brought back into the house. The new stove will have to be fitted for the lifting frame as seen in the photos; honestly, I really do not think we could have lifted, never mind moved the stove without those 2 X 4 extensions.

Ideal Steel outside on porch1.JPG

Ideal Steel outside on porch2.JPG

Just got off the phone with Penny at Woodstock- she wants me to strap it to a pallet. Of course I do not have a pallet nor any straps. She is going to look around and see if they can ship me a pallet. ?? The stove came on a great pallet, wrapped with a beautiful oak box built around it but of course that is long gone. Truth be told, it was the first fuel in the new stove :)

Still hoping for a happy ending.....

Brian

Marvin, Chaz, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can usually find free pallets behind many stores, especially hardware, big box, parts stores, etc...if you were so inclined.
    Good job on the lifting frame...how is it attached at the back?

Chaz likes this.
  10. Warner

Warner

Could build a pallet out of 2x4’s.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  11. BDF

BDF

Yeah but the pallet is going to have to have some dunnage on it to grab the stove around the ash pan. Absolutely do-able, just not overly interested in building a custom pallet and then lifting the stove onto it and strapping it down. And with Covid, we are pretty well shut down here so hunting around in stores for a decent, and rather odd- ball pallet is not appetizing.

The rear 2X is held on with building corner gussets, thick gauge std. building supply type, that are bolted to the stove with 1/4-20 nuts and bolts. Had to drill two holes on each side to attach the gussets but they are just clear- holes that go into the rear of the top of the firebox, behind the sled. Then the 2X is screwed to the gussets with 1 5/8 construction screws. The front 2X is bolted through the face of the stove with 2" long 1/4-20 bolts, nuts and fender washers. All reasonably easy to so, other than de-burring the inside of the holes and easy to deal with after moving the stove: I plan on just putting 1/4" button head screws in the holes and leaving them there. It will seal the holes and look fine and actually be almost unnoticeable to the casual observer.

It has been an hour or so since moving that stove and my forearms are swollen and sore.... now I remember why I never had a big impact on the rigging industry. :rofl: :lol:

Brian

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  12. Warner

Warner

I wonder if the will strap a pallet to a pallet when shipping? That will confuse a lot of truck drivers!

13. chance04

chance04

I'm actually glad to see I'm not the only one dreading moving the stove outside to strap to a slab of wood and return. I broke down and bought an appliance dolly last night just to move the stove outside where I can get a tractor close enough to pick the blasted thing up

Slocum, Canadian border VT and Chaz like this.
  14. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Reminds me I need to get moving and load my stove up after cleaning some. Got a nice pallet and plan on using a couple of ratchet straps after wrapping it up. Should be secure enough for it's journey. I'm a lucky one as it's in my walk out basement 5 feet from the garage door plus a lift to get it in the truck. Maybe my weekend project.

15. BDF

BDF

Well I have no provisions to lift the stove beyond a few inches off the ground, and that is with others' help. :) Penny mentioned taking the legs off the stove but I just do not know how I might be able to do that. The stove is going to have to go back more or less as it is or not go back at all.

Brian

Chaz, Slocum and chance04 like this.
  16. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Man they are heavy - I built a 2x4 pallet to ship mine back last October - 4 of us barely managed to get it on the pallet and on the back of the pickup for transportation to the trucking depot we used a dolly and ramps. The youngest burliest one of us twisted sumthin and was out of work for a few days recovering.

Chaz, chance04, Slocum and 1 other person like this.
  17. Rich L

Rich L

I'm late to this post but I'm confused why you,chance 04 and BDF, have to ship your stoves back to Woodstock.What's going on ?

Chaz and chance04 like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

IS stoves mine too, are developing cracks on hinge side of front door. Mine is 5 years old, Woodstock is repair/replace under warranty.

stand up American made company!

Chaz, chance04 and brenndatomu like this.
  19. BDF

BDF

Due to a design flaw, some of these stoves have cracked at the firebox opening, exactly at the top of the top hinge. Look above in this thread at my post #3424 for a photo of the crack on my stove posted a couple of days ago.

The stoves are out of warranty I believe but Woodstock has been outstanding, as usual, about taking care of this problem, in my opinion above and beyond their necessary responsibility. They are replacing the fireboxes and sleds, which is the major part of the stove, at no charge and are actually paying shipping charges.

As a design engineer myself I know that things such as this happen and it is not unusual in a new product. It took several years of repeated heating / cooling cycles for this problem to be discovered and so it is not something a reasonable person would have expected the manufacturer to have picked up in R&D.

This is also not all that odd a thing to happen to woodstoves in general; look around the 'Net and you will find more than a few photos of steel woodstoves cracking at the corners of the opening of the firebox loading hole, again due to concentrated stress during the expansion / contraction of the heating / cooling cycle of normal use.

Brian

Chaz, chance04 and Stephiedoll like this.
  20. chance04

chance04

My stove developed two cracks last season as described above. Woodstock is going above and beyond, paying for the ride to get the stove back, fixing it and then returning it to me. I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to drag this 650lb behemoth out of the house

Chaz and Canadian border VT like this.