In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What type of Maple?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jul 6, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I did a couple of loads today before running to town, Soft or Hard Maple in pic 9506?

    I cut up the top in 9500, I fell the ice storm damaged tree in pic 9501. The 390 was throwing some nice chips, pic 9504.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gark and thistle like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    It looks like sugar to me zap.
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I hope so, if not it still will make some good firewood.

    We'll have some company for a week, so I'll have a small break before jumping in the Brook next week, gotta clear more ice damaged trees out.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I was going to say red, but the leaf was off. Might have been out of the brook anyway with all the rain you'll be getting.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It lasted the melt we had this spring with a few other heavy down pours, this next rain won't move it.
     
  6. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    9506 looks like red to me but, I been wrong before
     
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    The heartwood is throwing me off for sugar.
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Must be a special NY species. The leaf is throwing me off a bit.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  9. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    Could be black maple......
     
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Could be....... the leaf is a better match for it. The map on the link below puts it very close to zaps area.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_nigrum
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Very interesting. I have a tree in my front yard that I know pre-dates my house indicating that it's native to where I live in So NH. Wasn't sure what it was for a while. Finally decided to sit down and work it out. Sure enough, it shows up as Black Maple per the guide I used below.. Outside of the range on the other link but matched what I came up with on this site:

    http://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/WhatTree.cfm?ItemID=E22d

    Leaf
    IMG_1142.JPG
    Subject tree in the foreground
    IMG_1144.jpg
    Closeup of the leaves growing opposite each other.
    IMG_1145.jpg

    No plans to cut this one down. so we can't do a comparison of the innards..