I pull into the job im doing today and parked behind this. No its not my new hoarding trailer, although the thought did cross my mind. No one around, no saws running. I asked the homeowner and she said they are working just around the corner. I had to go check it out of course. Three guys taking lunch. Big crane and mini skidder. Asked about wood and they are keeping it. Deck of trunks and pile of tops and limbs. Clearing the whole area behind all the mobile homes. Lots of work ahead of them. Later watched as the crane boomed out, grabs a huge limb, saw cut it and he pulls it away like its nothing. I guess a feller buncher on the end of it. Ground guy with radio guiding him in the crane. Tried to get video, but my camera overheated in the cab and wouldnt work. Pics i got were after they left. Quite an operation. I couldve spent the afternoon watching it! FHC spectator sport?!
Sometimes I get to thinking I know a thing or two about tree work, then I watch guys like these and I'm instantly humbled. I'm so small in the game, all I ever get are the table scraps
I could and have spent time watching tress services do their thing. I try to pick up tips on how and how not to do things.
The crane was very impressive. Huge out riggers. Not like your typical knuckle boom with a guy in a bucket. No saw or chipper running. Just the saw on the end of the crane and the mini skidder. All automated.
Nah. It was too hot, no room in the PU and no saw. Plus it was oak which i dont want in quantity any more. I did offer to pick something for them when i ran after some material.
Want me to send ya some acorns?? In 50 years or so, you'd have some nice oaks Edit.. Guess that'd put us on the 53 year plan
I found these in the yard i scrounged some oak last Fall. Thats a quarter for scale One was an 1 1/2" diameter I dont often brag about the size of my nuts!
I dont wanna draw that much attention to myself when scrounging, although it would be nice for safety.
I still say they should build a large splitter on those things. Cut, split and drop right into a box truck. Chip the leftovers. Conceivably a one man operation and no more time consuming than cutting and loading stuff on the ground. But that’s just me
That's how the crew that took down the 2 ash trees of my neighbors did it. Quite slick. They pulled the logs for me to cut and take, and the took the branches and brush. I've got a thread somewhere on it.
Wow! That's a big crane! Most of the services usually run a National Crane rig. That one is another level!
The tree service that did my neighbor's 2 ash that used a machine like that were 1500 a tree less money than the crews that were going to take them down by climbing and chunking it down. 1k a tree vs 2500 each. Granted, I probably helped my neighbor out substantially by telling him I'll take all the wood. They just left it on 8-12' logs and stacked them for me. Saved his crew a lot of time, and the neighbor a lot of $$. Me getting a couple cords of wood was really nice too That said, not having anyone in harm's way up in the tree surely reduces the insurance costs.