In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

E bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by BrianK, Jul 15, 2020.

1. BrianK

BrianK

I have to get daily exercise because of my health status, but I’m not a morning person since my health trouble and chronic fatigue, so this summer’s heat and humidity is just too much for my regular daily walk.

I’ve been researching e bikes for a number of years. I built an electric trike from scratch with an electric hub motor several years ago when I was first recovering from strokes, but it just wasn’t able to climb even small hills. It was a small 350w hub motor conversion. Hub motors don’t have near the power and torque of a mid drive electric motor, plus mid drives take advantage of the bike’s gears to climb hills.

There was no way I could afford a decent new mid drive e bike now, which I need due to my size in order to get back home safely and for climbing even small hills. The demand for bikes in general and e bikes in particular has skyrocketed due to recent global concerns.

I found an archery shop in Virginia that got into selling hunting e bikes several years ago. They sold well their first year, but the prices on these e bikes rose enormously over the ensuing years to the point their customers couldn’t afford the newer ones, so they got out of the e bikes business altogether.

However they had one leftover demo from several years ago, and the owner just wanted to get it out of his shop because it was taking up so much space. He offered it to me at a bargain basement price, way below his original wholesale price.

With a little creative financing (i.e., selling motorcycle stuff I no longer use) I was able to pick up this e bike yesterday.

The hunting e bikes were geared really low, for off-road use and pulling trailers with game out of the woods. I had to change the front sprocket to a larger 46 tooth one for road use, but otherwise it’s a great fat tire e bike.

This bike can go twenty miles without pedaling on a charge, more if I help pedal. I can climb hills now that there is no way I would attempt without the electric motor, and when my body “hits the wall” the electric motor can get me back home. I never know when that will be, but this bike will allow me to get more exercise and ride farther than I ever would have attempted otherwise.

And even in the heat, e bikes create their own breeze, so there’s no excuse not to get some daily exercise.

Plus there’s what they call “the e bike grin” - they’re just plain fun and everyone who test drives them is left grinning from ear to ear and buys one.
    C0524887-D0F9-434E-AA6B-CE60263C4ED7.jpeg AB01F22D-66E2-4437-8E1F-4F6795551203.jpeg B27F91BC-A1E0-4DE1-8DC1-649C9113403E.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. BrianK

BrianK

I’m thinking of starting an e bike gang:

Sons of Angioplasty

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Cool BrianK!
    You have some doubled paragraphs in your post... let me know if I can help edit.
    And please leave any mention of “the Bug” out of your posts- thx.
    ***ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ***

4. BrianK

BrianK

I think I fixed it.

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

A few folks have them up here and they are quiet when they go by the house. They look great to get out and take in some fresh air. Owners look happy riding by too. Enjoy!:yes:

6. Semipro

Semipro

Very nice bike!
    I built one using parts and the same mid-drive power kit that yours has. Mine may be of lesser power though. I built it for my 15 mile commute to work. Riding without assist was great but I was sweaty all day and it took too long.
    It's a blast to ride. Congrats and have fun!
    Oh yeah, can I join your gang?
    Bike.jpg

7. BrianK

BrianK

Nice! A Bafang BBS02 kit?

As far as the gang, you bet! Wait till you see our secret handshake!

8. Semipro

Semipro

Yes, the BBS02.
    I'm not sure if yours is speed limited in firmware but its easily bypassed. ;)
    No angioplasty here yet but my heart sure beats faster than it used to when I ride. Of course, maybe that's because I disabled the speed limiter.

Eckie, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  9. BrianK

BrianK

i used the passcode for the Bafang electronic controller and reset the speed to 28mph.

However its still limited to 18mph so it must be in the firmware. I don’t know how to track that down though.

10. BrianK

BrianK

Backwoods Savage I'm finally back on a bike, with a little assistance.

I haven’t ridden a bicycle in 8 or 9 years. (I don’t really count my time on an upright elliptical trike as riding a bike per se). I got my e bike Tuesday evening, rode a couple miles around the neighborhood yesterday, and took it out to hilly back country roads today.

First I went 5 miles in the hills, mostly in PAS2 (Pedal Assist System level 2, with 1 being lowest and 5 highest assist levels) but also using PAS3 through 5 for the hills.

Then I went to a local flat rails to trails bike path and rode another 6 miles on PAS2.

So 11 miles today total, not using throttle, mostly on PAS2. The battery was still at three bars when I was done, so I figure I could easily have done another 10-15 miles on the charge.

Not bad at all.

11. Semipro

Semipro

I'll bet the ride quality was great too with those monster tires.
    I had to add a suspension fork and seat tube to mine to make the ride tolerable to my sore bones.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  12. BrianK

BrianK

It was pretty good! My lower back (old herniated disk) and my butt hurt though!

But at higher pedal cadences the bike developed a sort of bounce in time with my pedaling. I think I need more air in those fat tires when I’m on the road. I didn’t notice it as much on the rails to trails path as I think my speeds were lower in general.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looks good Brian. Sadly I'm like you with not being able to ride for way too long. I have thought of electric but nothing yet.

The recumbent is the reason I went that way to get a better ride bit I also do 100% of my riding on the roads.

To stop that bounce at speed you need to adjust that saddle.

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and BrianK like this.
  14. BrianK

BrianK

I just ordered a Satori Animaris suspension seat post. They’re one of the cheapest full suspension seat posts available but they get good reviews among larger riders. B8F12F60-3406-49A9-9A55-BBA152FAC78C.png

leoht, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  15. BrianK

BrianK

You can add geared hub motors to a recumbent, and I think it’s a fairly straightforward conversion if you get the right one. There are lots of companies selling e bike conversion kits.

leoht, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  16. BrianK

BrianK

In what way, Backwoods Savage ?

I already adjusted it so it’s level.

17. Backwoods Savage

18. BrianK

BrianK

Ok, that makes sense. I did raise it after I leveled the seat but I guess I need to raise it more. It just makes it that much more difficult to mount the bike because of my weak left leg.

You should see me balancing against my van on my left leg while I swing my right “good” leg over the bike. It would make an “interesting” YouTube video.

The right leg is only “good” in comparison to my left leg. After the first two strokes I had in March 2016, they affected mostly my right leg, so during March my left leg was my “good” leg. Then the last two strokes at the end of March paralyzed my left leg.

After they put heart stents in my brain my right leg mostly got better, but I still wear a brace on the left ankle. Otherwise I chronically sprain that ankle as the outside muscles in my lower leg never came back.

19. Backwoods Savage

Yeah. After my 3rd hip surgery getting off and on the bike presents a challenge.

If you can, get on bike and hold onto something like a post. Put your heels on the pedals and pedal backwards. No rocking is good. Still need good leg extension too and that will give you more power and stamina.

20. fuelrod

fuelrod

Wow, I keep getting surprised how much I've been "running into" ebikes. About 6-8 weeks ago I was bushhogging a field, this guy pulls up on a cool looking bike with huge tires and was looking at me like he wanted to talk. I thought (from the effortless way) this guy topped the hill that it might be electric assisted so I was now curious, so we got to talking. He almost insisted that I try it, so I did for a short distance being a little uncomfortable with a stranger's bike. I did take a picture with the name, and checked it out later on the computer.
    It was YouTube that really sold me (on a different bike) and as several weeks went by, I got sucked right in. They only do internet sales and protected delivery in mid August, today I got a text from FedEx and tomorrow it'll be here.
    https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrove
    I'm excited, it's been a very long time since I've been pedaling. The driving public around here are simply idiot's and my Harley electra glide is in craigslist.
    I'll follow up in a few days. :thumbs:

leoht, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 2 others like this.