In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Apple Wood Replacement Saw Handle

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Eric Wanderweg, Jun 29, 2020.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,554
    Likes Received:
    67,760
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    At the risk of sounding corny, you people inspire me. I took an apple tree down in the spring and ended up with well over a cord of wood. I got to thinking, a lot of this is way too nice to just burn in my wood stove. Coincidentally, I recently broke the plastic handle to my cheap Stanley hand saw. After being inspired by some of the projects on this forum, I decided to take a crotch section of apple wood and make myself a decent solid handle. The hardware is 300 series stainless steel so it'll stay nice. I still have to trim the blade to fit inside and transfer the mounting holes through the steel but at least the handle is done. Admittedly, it's not my best work but I think it's not too bad for a guy that cuts metal for a living :)

    IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG IMG_1392.JPG
     
    eatonpcat, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 11 others like this.
  2. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,790
    Likes Received:
    27,770
    Location:
    western WA
    Cool! Now that saw is really "Yours"!
     
    Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,853
    Likes Received:
    121,380
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  4. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    I want to see a pic with the saw blade fitted to the handle. Some nice work.
     
  5. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, can we see the finished product? I love the contrasting colors in the handle.
     
    metalcuttr, Chaz and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,486
    Likes Received:
    188,766
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That will look nice. Great job. My dad made several handles like that.
     
    metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  7. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,980
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Good work on the handle
    :yes:
     
    metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.