I saw the other tile thread but my question is slightly different. I want to install tile in my kitchen. Currently I have a particle board subfloor on top of plywood but on top of the particle board is 1/4" luan with vinyl flooring on top with another 1/4" layer on that with vinyl on the very top. Should I rip out all the subflooring and go with cement board or would just ripping of the top layer of vinyl and using what's there give me the rigidity I need for tile? it will make a slight transition if I don't rip it out from dining room to kitchen. I only want to do this once so any advice on the matter is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Backer board for ceramic tile isn't as much for rigidity as it is for movement. Concrete based backer board products have the same coefficient of expansion as the tile (or real close to it) so the tiles expand and contract at the same rate as the subtrate with changes in temperature. Do it once, do it right, do it with concrete backer board.
Still have not messed with the floor but found a product calle snapstone. Its a porcelain tile that "floats" says you can install over existing floor. Does anyone have any experience with it?
I've never messed with it. I installed some granite tile a few weeks ago and we used a roll product since it was in the basement and prone to moisture. I can't remember what it was called.
Ditra? That stuff is awesome to work with, just be prepared to pay! OP - I'd get down to the first subfloor, but I'm no pro. Something about particle board so close to tiles in a kitchen... moisture scares me.
Yes, that's it. It is indeed expensive, but super easy. If time and effort are a deciding factor this is a good choice.