In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scrounging six cords a year plus

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Rowerwet, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Spent a few hours in the pool with the kids, 20200530_185032.jpg

then grabbed a nice trailer load of Maple from a tree the city paid to take down a couple streets over from mine
    20200530_183350.jpg
    Had a lady come over and give me her number, I guess she really likes the smell of two stroke oil....

Turned out her mom has a tree that is down but needs to be hauled away, she seemed shocked that I burn the wood inside to heat the house.

2. Rich L

Rich L

You would think everyone in New Hampshire knows about heating with wood.Nice pool.That'll solve the crowded beach situation and no sharks.

3. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

we're in a city in MA, just south of the border with NH, most people here think heat comes from the National Grid gas pipes under the street.

We got the pool because of the ridiculous rules ME, MA, and NH have put on going to the beach. My parents have a house on York Beach in ME, but no one is allowed to sit on the beach or swim in the waves (surfing is allowed though, if that makes any sense)
    there is a $100 fine for setting up chairs on the beach or swimming... and the state governor just pulled the opening of eating places in York county... four days before they were to be allowed to open....
    Screenshot_20200518-101226_Facebook.jpg
    the beaches were completely closed until just recently, the parking lot for the Nubble light was barricaded, and Mount Agmenticus was also closed.
    the church campmeetings we normally attend will not be happening because of the regulations in the state of NY.
    because of the rules, we could only take a family vacation in MA without possibly violating the rules, and even then, a lot of stuff won't be open like normal.
    a pool was something we could have every day, believe it or not, the water is already up to 80 degrees in the pool, and the kids have been in it for hours every day.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice pool. Glad y'all got one. Looks like y'all will have a great summer.

5. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

We homeschool, that means we can do our own graduation ceremony whenever we want, so this morning we gave our oldest her diploma as part of church.
    Masks make some interesting pictures... 20200531_115008.jpg

6. Maina

Maina

My daughters are now 34 and 37, and some of our fondest memories involve the above ground pool I installed when we lived in PI. That was early 90’s lol. I hope you have as many wonderful memories as I do in the future! We had most of the neighborhood kids in ours most nice days for a few years. It was great clean entertainment for all of us. Something to be thankful for! Especially in these times.
    Thank you for bringing up some great memories! And again, I wish the same upon you.

Marvin, Rowerwet and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Me too. ^^

Maina and Rowerwet like this.
  8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Boy you daughter I think has long hair.

Maina likes this.
  9. Rich L

Rich L

This virus is like a strong flu.Young and healthy folks shake it off and the unhealthy as always are at risks.There's something sinister about the whole thing when now food lines are getting longer because folks can't work.However I like your solution.Expect a lot of folks trying to get themselves invited to share that space.If that happens I see you using the social distancing edict to get around it.Happy dunkin !

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  10. Rich L

Rich L

Man that was an ugly picture of that axe breaking.How did it happen in the first place? I have two of them and I plan on having them for a long time.How can I make this happen ?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  11. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Yup, I'm surrounded by women with long hair, at one point my wife's was down to her ankles

Chazsbetterhalf and Maina like this.
  12. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

We've only had one extra kid, but she's almost family anyway.
    I can only think of a few more we might have over, but the distancing is the easy out.

Chazsbetterhalf and Rich L like this.
  13. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

It was an over strike, which will happen to any axe in normal use.
    If you have a fiskars, the warranty is relatively painless, just cut out the section of the handle that says X27 on it and ship it in a flat rate post office box.
    If you have other brands, there are rubber guards that slide over the handle to protect against over strike

Chazsbetterhalf, Rich L and Maina like this.
  14. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

20200601_173941.jpg
    The more I use my 590, the more I love it. Nobody else scrounging has big saws like I do, so I get to really make some chips fly on the stuff they can't touch.
    20200601_180748.jpg first load tonight was mostly smaller stuff
    20200601_185536.jpg
    second load was the big stuff
    it all slides in nice and easy with the right tools
    20200601_185519.jpg put the ramps up on top of the wood, and loaded the last two rounds on top
    20200601_190624.jpg
    Probably maxed out the load rating on the trailer, but trailers are easy to repair or replace. The van is rated for 3,000 lbs towing, never got near that yet.

15. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

20200601_203309.jpg
    Found this trailer dolly out for free, it makes moving trailers around the yard a snap.
    Notice the tongue is on the ground
    20200601_203328.jpg tilt the dolly until the ball can go under the hitch coupler
    20200601_203350.jpg pull the handlebars and the leverage lifts the trailer easily
    20200601_203357.jpg the big wheels make it easy to move the trailer, even on grass
    20200601_203456.jpg
    Easy to park the trailer on the dolly, much easier to move when mowing than the tongue jack wheel.
    20200601_203507.jpg
    the early bird gets the worm! Last week I scored the plastic pallet because I could grab it before work.
    This morning I was doing a prayer walk through the neighborhood, and found the canoe out for free!
    It has a hole and a few cracks, but it's fiberglass and I have plenty of fiberglass experience from my work and my boat building. It also needs a seat repair, but that's no big deal.
    This is the third boat I've gotten for free, a kayak I found in the ditch along the interstate, my parents old canoe once they sold their house on the pond, and this canoe.
    I also picked up a brand new life jacket next to the highway this morning, still had the tags on it!
    Now I just need to find a couple paddles...
    I normally get the chance to take a couple groups of young people paddling during our church camp meetings, they really enjoy the kayaks I build. Gonna have to get some local kids out paddling this summer instead.
    20200601_203935.jpg I've always wanted one of those endless pools to work out in, however, they start at about 15 thousand, too rich for me!
    Found this swim trainer instead, it's two bungie cords and a waist belt with neoprene padding. The rope is just to give an anchor point, since I don't want to pull on the pool tubes.
    The bungee is just strong enough to give good resistance when swimming, I can surge against it, but it's really hard to keep it stretched, so I get pulled back.
    After a half hour with this, I get sore muscles i never felt before. 20200601_203950.jpg the old gas grill stand is the perfect height to hold the filter housing to clean it
    20200601_204001.jpg I added the piece of pipe to hold the filter in place to make cleaning easier.
    Hope to get a sand filter soon, much easier to deal with

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice finds! Funny how the universe provides us with what we need sometimes. Quite often I have to stop for a moment and say thank you.

Chazsbetterhalf, Maina and Rowerwet like this.
  17. Maina

Maina

I love my Fiskars pickaroon! It’s hard to believe someone would toss that trailer dolly. Very handy tool!

Rowerwet and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  18. Rich L

Rich L

That's the reason I bought the Fiskars to prevent the over strike damage.My grandson wanted to learn how to split wood and get a work out so I gave him the fiskars and a twenty pound sledge and showed him how to do it.He caught on well enough however he did have a couple over strikes and the fiskars held up.If it had been the wooden axe it would have snapped.Him being a 6' 7 " pro baller back from playing in the European league and strong as a bull.I was proud of my fiskars but after seeing your experience I'll tell him and myself to be more careful.Those axes do break.

Maina, Rowerwet and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  19. Rich L

Rich L

Your prayer walks bring you a lot of blessings. This post is the most enjoyable post I've ever come across.That's for sharing your journeys.

Rowerwet and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  20. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

20200602_210019.jpg solar LED lights shinning through the windows in the sides of the pool.
    The brighter ones are from Harbor freight.
    I think these will make it fun to swim when the nights are hot

Marvin, Chazsbetterhalf and Maina like this.