In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Farmers market

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Ohio dave, May 15, 2020.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

IBeing small time seller less than 2 cords a month. I'm kicking around the idea of setting up a booth at a farmers market. Having a almost unlimited supply of 5 gallon buckets. I was thinking of selling $5 buckets of mixed woods. $10 for bucket of oak, apple or hickory only 1 wood type in the $10 buckets. I also have some white birch Swedish candlez for $10.
    Any advice? Prices seem good?

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

I like the idea. It should appeal to folks that don't have access to those types of wood for grilling and smoking. I can't think of what the cost of gas station and supermarket bundles are going for.

Can you bundle some up with twine and use a small thin split for a handle to carry it? Just a marketing thought of stacked bundles at a booth would look nice versus buckets. My .02. Good luck.:yes:

Chaz, savemoney, Midwinter and 10 others like this.
  3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I might go with bags instead I think that would look even neater than twine.
    Box store bundles are about 6$. Not sure about convience store prices.

4. Warner

Warner

I have seen bundles for as much as 12$ depending on the location. If there is a market for it go for it! Around here it would be like trying to sell sand at the beach.

5. Camber

Camber

My son may have just landed a deal with the one gas station in town. they have a wire cage that holds about a tenth of a cord. one bundle sells for 7.50. that is amazing. the new manager says bring buy enough to fill it, and he would pay us cash right there. So many people come camping at gov spots, and are always searching for firewood. I have rolls of bailing twine already. When he gets back I will see if he is willing to keep it full for that price. Shoot, my daughter may. she has finished bucking about 9 cord with a little echo I bought a few weeks ago. talk about profit.

Chaz, campinspecter, MikeInMa and 7 others like this.
  6. farmer steve

farmer steve

Good deal. What's the dog shooting in your avatar?:thumbs:

7. Camber

Camber

Coyote is shooting the roadrunner. seems he doesn't like all the acme stuff blowing up and dropping on him:rofl: :lol:

8. Loon

Loon

Had to put my glasses on steve. Good one. :coldone:

[​IMG]

9. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Woodshax might be able to offer something here such as how he identified the market and how he set his prices. Different business model but related...

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Have you filled a bucket, then compare the amount against local gas stations, to determine a price? Then, you'd have to figure in your price for both buckets and the market stall you'll be assigned.

That would give you the amount needed to sell, just to break even. Any more, is profit.

11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Buckets free market stall $10. Not much to worry about there.

12. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

If you end up going this route, make a quality sign and maybe some cheap business cards. You will probably get more business for large quantities by advertising your goods and services at the flea market.

13. Woodshax

Woodshax

For what it is worth.....the closer you are to the place and time they want to burn it. the more sense it makes. I like the bucket idea because it is free (to you) and easy. Bundling takes time and unless really tight, the sticks start sliding out when they carry it around. I have a guy in Austin that uses the plastic milk/produce crates/boxes because he gets them free from the stores and restaurants he delivers to. The traditional "bundle" is between .6 and .75 Cu Ft, so comparing that to what fits in your bucket will give you a real good understanding of your price point. We sell at state and municipal parks in Texas and use 2 Cubic Ft by volume mesh bags.... you can fit in about 1.4 cu ft of wood cut at 18".... so 98 bags = 128 Cu Ft. I put up signs on the machine that our bags = 2 traditional bundles and then charge $11.99 + tax. Campers are used to buying by the stick or bundle...so this shows them they are not getting ripped off and still getting wood 24/7 when and where they want it....Gross sales last year in our Texas parks was just shy of $250,000

14. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Like I said I sell more as a hobby to support my addiction to garden/farm equipment. So my volume is pretty low 15 cords a year. I was just thinking ot might be fun and turn a little profit for my next toy. Er piece of equipment

15. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Just remember from the 70's a guy put a rock in a cardboard box and called it a pet rock and made millions :rofl: :lol::loco: :crazy:

16. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

So the farmers market is next week. I got 100 bags 60 buckets and 15 Swedish candles. Now its a question of whether or not to debark the apple and hickory smoke wood. And most efficient way to debark

17. farmer steve

farmer steve

I don't think I would take the time to debark the smoking wood. I know from burning hickory bark it makes a nice aroma. Maybe ask over in the Smokehouse thread if it makes a difference. Good luck on sales.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.