In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oil boiler is leaking water intermittently.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Warner, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Warner

Warner

Current plan is to shut the system down, drain it and check the expansion tank to rule it out.

Mitch Newton and brenndatomu like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

While its down, can you easily block off the rest of the system and screw a gauge in somewhere to check the makeup regulator pressure?

3. Warner

Warner

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

12-15 Cold.
    About 17-20 hot

5. billb3

billb3

6. Warner

Warner

I ended up calling a “reputable” company to come out and take a look. They said that it was the relief valve. Ok they replaced it for 180$ seems pretty high to replace the valve but I said do it. Leaked again that night. They send another clown out to replace the valve again, I told him I replaced it before I and I doubt a 3rd valve will fix it. He looked stoned and I wasn’t going to argue with an idiot so I said change it out. Its still blowing off intermittently however at this point I don’t want mutants in my house so it will have to wait till this thing clears up.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Warner

Warner

So I thought I’d update this thread. The owner of the company came out and had a look. Within a few minutes of looking around he put a gauge on the water heater and one on the well expansion tank. There is just one pipe between them. Water tank read 150psi and the expansion tank read 40 psi. Then followed the pipe and found an old inline filter between the two. It had been abandoned when a softener was installed. The filter cartridge was pulled with the housing left in place. I fell dumb because I have been meaning to get it outfit there just one of those things. He assured me the 150psi valve was what should be in place on the heater.

I didn’t want to pay him to cut the filter out so I did it myself. And found the housing was infact clogged with out a filter cartridge in place. It also fixed the water hammer we had going on.

I have gotten a bill from them and they are trying to charge me for a cleaning (180$) and an additional 180 for replacing the valve. I talked to the girl that answers the phone today she said she would have to pass it on to the boss.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No diagnosing that one from pics on the internet! :faint: :rofl: :lol: :thumbs:
    Glad you got it resolved and thread updated...:yes:

Horkn likes this.
  9. don2222

don2222

Glad it is fixed.
    I thought I was done with my boiler even though I put in a new SuperStor DHW tank last year.
    I put in an OnDemand electric hot water panel in last winter. Glad I did not through the boiler away!
    Well since the oil got so cheap, $1.64 per gallon and another 1% off with my charge card!
    So I switched the valves back and killed the breakers to the EcoSmart DHW panel and switched the power to the big blue Buderus boiler back on! Then called the oil company and said fill her up! Will see what happens to oil next year?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, that's the thing with internet problem solving.

Good you got it fixed. Regarding the extra charges, this is in them for not catching the real issue, something that they should definitely take off of your billing.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. Warner

Warner

A complete diagnosis over the internet was not expected. I would like to thank all that replied. It was one of those situations when the answer is looking you right in the face any you can’t see it. :headbang:

fishingpol, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.