In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Great Wall of Rona

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Apr 28, 2020.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Defensive fortifications to keep out those pesky pestilent peasants.
    Or, just what I do for fun. Long way to go before I rest!! Ah, who’s kiddin who? I take it pretty easy :)
    D7A93833-320F-4AB8-A3B7-A6B895202936.jpeg
     
    whitey, Woodwidow, XXL and 25 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,836
    Likes Received:
    114,692
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    umm.... you ahhh..... missed a spot.
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Why,,,that’s the gate!!! No sense in having a trebuchet that’s flings boiling oil if you don’t have a gate.
     
  4. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    There's something very satisfying about having it in one long row. Put Christmas lights on it this winter?
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    I like the way you think. That would be one long extension cord though. Are there other options?
     
  6. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    bogydave's birch train! 142121-6a05c1206b49c67fc71dc0ac0f858a25.jpg BFAEB722-CF86-4F29-ACD3-D5DEB3BF66D8.jpeg You could whitewash a design on the stacks, it would show up nicely in the moonlight. La-B-H-Land-art-La-fissure2-581b1bf146903__605.jpg
     
  7. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Yes I’ve seen bogys train. Very nice. I actually thought about copying that but lazed out at the last minute.
    Been looking myself. There’s some lights you can run off a 12 volt battery. Also solar. I think I’d go with solar. I need my batteries ;)
     
  8. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Do you string the top of your wood stacks? It’s ok to be honest, this is a safe place!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: On a serious note, great job! Really looks nice. How does the saying go?....wood stacks make good neighbors:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  9. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    No, the top is more an effect of my height LOL
     
  10. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I noticed it was higher than 4’ when I saw your truck in relation to it. Looks really nice:thumbs:
     
  11. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I don't know, that stack on the left has one little divot that could use a small split. 1/1000 point deduction there.:p That's really excellent looking work jo191145 !
     
  12. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I actually noticed that too!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,738
    Likes Received:
    214,834
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats a thing of beauty Joe. :yes: If you continue stacking to the West and i work my way East we could meet at the Portland bridge.
     
  14. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Wait wait. Don’t grade me on that left stack. That’s the hickory. I had to add on and up several times as every time I went in the woods I found another hickory tree :) Yeah that ones a real mess.
     
  15. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    wuhwoh. I’m heading East. That’s ok. Always a solution. You keep going East and when you hit my pile just follow it and we’ll have some nice lobsters in RI. Haven’t been to Newport in about 8 years but I’m not banned or anything. We’ll just stay out of the post office :)
     
  16. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,321
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Stacks look pretty tight from where the pic was taken. Is this the beginning of the 3 years for that wood?


    Nice view..... to look out and see that!
     
  17. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    yep, that’s exactly what it is. Three years plus pile. One and two years are off to the side. First time getting this far ahead.
    The newly cleaned field edges seemed like a great place to stack. More sunlight
    ED5974A8-37BC-4664-B5DE-6EB96F36DE7F.jpeg
     
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,153
    Location:
    Central MI
    No matter how you hack it, or stack it, that is one beautiful wall.
     
  19. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Thanks Dennis. I like it too. As midwinter said making one long one looks impressive. Looks great from the road, little more than 200 yards away.

    whacked some more logs this morning. I do it in small batches instead of just cutting for days, splitting for days etc.
     

    Attached Files:

  20. Chazsbetterhalf

    Chazsbetterhalf

    Joined:
    May 18, 2018
    Messages:
    6,010
    Likes Received:
    39,593
    Location:
    Ny
    jo191145 and Backwoods Savage like this.