In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Miserable splitting

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by dahmer, Apr 24, 2020.

  1. dahmer

    dahmer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2020
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    3,332
    Location:
    Ellwood City PA
    Busted my but splitting oak rounds from last year. When you you have a place where a big limb grew out of the trunk you expect that, but I had 3 different 20”-24” rounds today that were as bad or worse than elm. Anybody ever see grain like this? These were the better ones, the bad just tore apart into jagged tears every direction. No visible knots inside or outside.
    77F3E1B5-BE06-499A-8EE3-FC39A62361A6.jpeg
     
  2. MAF143

    MAF143

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2018
    Messages:
    1,731
    Likes Received:
    12,204
    Location:
    North Central OH
    Those would look killer quartersawn.
     
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Wow, that is some figured grain there.

    Those would be worthy of a woodworking project.

    Some sweet knife handles there.
     
  4. dahmer

    dahmer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2020
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    3,332
    Location:
    Ellwood City PA
    Anybody wants any for knife scales just pay the shipping but it would take a long time to dry, unless you have a kiln.
     
  5. dahmer

    dahmer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2020
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    3,332
    Location:
    Ellwood City PA
    This was the chestnut from last year. No idea what pile it’s in now.
    492ED3F9-ABC8-483E-9008-7FA90ABC975E.jpeg BCAA72B8-AC22-4D23-8C70-02FBF7EE4582.jpeg
     
  6. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    That oak sure has a curly grain to it. It would look nice finished.
    I had some wood here that I had scrounged from a compost with some grain like that.
     
  7. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I'd bet money that tree grew out in the open in a windy area. Makes for horrible splitting, but real great character in the grain. It'll burn hot too.
     
  8. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,429
    Location:
    Ct
    I usually only see that way down on the base of the tree. Nice stuff. Pistol grips too;)
     
  9. dahmer

    dahmer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2020
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    3,332
    Location:
    Ellwood City PA
    Wasn’t the base, this thing was 40” at the base. Seems this may have been the first branch. Just guessing.
     
  10. Rich L

    Rich L

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2019
    Messages:
    965
    Likes Received:
    3,896
    Location:
    Eastern Mass.
    My grandson came over yesterday to learn and help me split wood.I showed him how to use the axe,sledge,and wedges.He caught on pretty quickly.We were flying through some maple and he came upon some Elm.It was kicking his "A".He said Pop Rich this is some hard wood here.Ya welcome to the world of Elm.Use two wedges on that one.Of course I gave him the twenty pound sledge while I worked the ten pounder.He didn't know the difference but afterwards he said he got a great work out and I agreed.
     
  11. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Just cut some Bur Oak that looked like that, run into it once in awhile, excess moisture seems to be the cause IMHO.
     
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,750
    Likes Received:
    214,916
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I had some beech splits with rippled/wavy grain similar that i recently stacked. It wouldve made some cool handles/grips etc as stated above.
    Im a hand splitter so ease of splitting my main MO when i scrounge wood.
    If i run into tough logs/knots its put aside for noodling/ I dont mind splitting, but not killing myself in the process.
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I've always figured that the tree was damaged a long time ago to cause that sort of growth but yes, wind can wreck havoc for sure.

    Perhaps we need some input from Barcroftb on this one?!
     
    dahmer, Midwinter, WoodPirate and 2 others like this.
  14. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    I googled at one time what might cause the grain to be so curly and what I found was no one really knows for sure. A lot of different theories.