In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What we've learned to do without during this quarantine

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by TurboDiesel, Apr 17, 2020.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

This idea was sparked from another thread.

I've noticed there are many things we're quickly learning we can do without lately.

Sports and Hollywood...
    I just don't have any need for them.

Maybe it's time we stepped back and realigned our priorities.

What say you, hoarders. What can you do without? What are your new priorities going forward?

2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Not so much as what I can do without, as what I miss.
    Being able to see my grandkids in person, and only seeing my wife for about 30 seconds a day.

Gary

3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Hollywood is just remaking old movies and telling us how to live. I’ll watch old movies and I don’t need anyone telling me how to live.

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I do have a contractor bring me used building materials. He’ll take a deck apart and bring me the “good stuff”. It saves him money from dump fees and I get free wood. I may have to remove some screws but well worth it!

5. Midwinter

Midwinter

I miss seeing my grandson as well. I used to have him every Sunday, but I've only seen him twice since March.
    Other than that, life isn't a whole lot different. I go shopping a lot less, and I'm not ordering stuff online either, because shipping takes so long. So, I'm spending less, which is a good thing.
    I'm making a lot of firewood. I have fewer obligations, appointments, and responsibilities. Life is more peaceful.
    I feel bad for the people who are broke because they can't work, and I feel bad for the people who have to work and are risking their health. I'm privileged to be able to remain socially distant for as long as I want, and I'm in no hurry to rejoin public life.

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Same here!

7. tree killer

tree killer

Pretty normal here, do miss going out to supper with some friends and partaking in a few beers and some food. Missed watching my daughter and her team play softball. Guess I have to admit I miss having her live somewhere other than here.we were all adjusted to that one.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2 on sports. We used to put a football game on in the background but stopped after disrespecting our flag. And have not really been back except by accident if the tv is on but no volume and we look up and it's on.

Hollywood? I really like movies but I am so disappointed with many actors and celebrities and politicians saying disgusting things and now realize (especially after some "quarantine" posts/videos I've seen recently) how truly out of touch with how normal citizens make this country work can they be? Reckless and cruel, shame on them.

The main thing I'm learning to do without is time. With our whole family home almost 24/7, they both need my attention every few minutes. And dishes have atleast tripled if not more. I had a little fantasy of family spring cleaning during these times, it's the opposite. Instead daily household maintenance cleaning routines are much higher and the house is more out of order ever day, and we're going on 4.5 weeks here. He needs things printed while working from home (our printer is not wireless) and she needs a "home teacher" for school. All I can say is Thank God for our public schools and our teachers, what they offer and give kids 9 months out of the year is amazing!

My biggest regret is for what kiddo learned to do without, socialization. She LOVES school and LOVES seeing her classmates. She already has a side effect of being an only child at home most the time with two older parents so she tends to say adult things from a little kids mouth though she is actually just a little kid. One of her teachers called yesterday, it was the highlight of her last month, AWESOME!! Sure I (we) do a decent job getting through her lessons but she is accustomed to a professional educator that builds excitement and curiosity. kwim?

Ha! Point in case, I've been up and down with them so many times the last 45 minutes it took my this whole time to write one post.

9. clay shooter

clay shooter

i can go with out most things, but at the moment there is no shooting and i miss that.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

same here though WWW still goes to work a few days a week and does our grocery shopping every other week.

11. rottiman

rottiman

X 2 here as well

12. Will C

Will C

I am doing without spending money!! Nothing to do, no where to go.

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

I really miss the antique flea market that usually starts up this time of year. Yeah, good amount of interesting people to talk to, old tools and hours of just looking around at interesting stuff and hearing the stories of where it was picked. I usually take my daughter with me.

I guess I don't need it, but it did support the local collectors and dealers.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Same here...haven't been to a movie in YEARS...and couldn't care less about sports...except maybe motorsports...

15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Only thing I'm doing without is church & bible study & that sux. Otherwise not much is different, must be I didn't have much of a social life anyway. I'm still working, although it's a bit slower, daughter's now laid off so we're doing some planning for gardening. The grandkids come over with her. Still cutting wood, & enjoying a bit more time for that, see my son now more than before since he's off work too. Never was much for tv or sports unless I was playing. I do miss the occasional night out for dinner with friends. Biggest thing I'll miss is the spring GTG at Backwoods Savage's place. That's a real bummer. Not really doing without here. Maybe we could all do with a bit less time on the jobs. Kids were raised to work hard & save & it really stuck, maybe too much.

16. Horkn

Horkn

I miss sports, and Motorsports. Motorcycle racing in particular.

I also miss being able to hang out with friends. Boating season is around the corner, and so is the Superbike round at Road America. We don't know if that race will happen at the end of May or if it will be rescheduled for later.

17. JustWood

JustWood Guest

About the only thing I miss is Wednesday wing nite at the local watering hole. Usually a bunch of friends and god conversation there.

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

For years we've meet up with a couple friends on Friday for supper. So now we cook and get together at our place. Last nite our friends made lasagna.
    Next week...Thanksgiving dinner.:dancer:

We can't miss our Friday supper.:whistle:

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

We are meeting on Zoom.
    Sunday school, Sunday service, sunday evening, Wednesday evening, and we added m-f morning devotionals at 9am.
    We're all really enjoying it!
    Small group (about 12 of us each morning) (25 for Sunday service) everyone can take part in the discussion on zoom meeting. Its different, but it's great. We've even had some of pastor's friends from brazil with us.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We have been doing that as well. It is different with not so much socializing afterwards or potlucks to share. Our Pastor has been doing morning devotionals on Facebook live as well as it reaches more people. For us there isn't as much traveling to church with Zoom. Normally we have a 45 min drive.